Mavic Air new battery problem: suddenly dropped from 60% to 0%.
12Next >
15703 63 2018-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nerius
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6136076 ft
  • >>>
Lithuania

Hi,

Got my Mavic Air "fly more combo", charged batteries and went for a test flight (all batteries was fully charged less than 24 hours prior flight). When flying one of batteries charge suddenly dropped from >60% to 0%, drone starts to land with "battery critical low" warning. I was able to land safely, so no damage to drone was made. After landing, battery indicators shows one blinking led and dji GO 4 app shows 0% battery charge and voltage also at 0 (which is very strange), but drone was still powered. When I started to recharge this battery, in a minute or so it went from one blinking LED to three. When flying with remaining two batteries after this accident, everything went OK. So, taking into account all data, I assume one of batteries I got is defective. Any suggestions and opinions ?
BTW contacted dji support and they want me to send everything to them (all fly more combo, aircraft included), but not sure I would like to do that.

Regards
Nerius

2018-3-21
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I can't see why they need the whole package back.  That seems overkill and denies you your fun whilst they replace the battery.  Ask them to just return the battery; it's probably more a pointless stock control thing...  BUt you defo seem to have a defective battery.

Ian
2018-3-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Nerius, just to verify, have you tried to discharge the battery fully and then charge the battery fully again? Please have a try if possible. If still no helps, please kindly offer the screenshot of battery interface for double check, thanks!
2018-3-21
Use props
Nerius
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-21 22:45
Hey Nerius, just to verify, have you tried to discharge the battery fully and then charge the battery fully again? Please have a try if possible. If still no helps, please kindly offer the screenshot of battery interface for double check, thanks!

Thank you. When I got fly more combo, all batteries was empty (think it's for safety reasons, not to cause fire during shipment). Charged all 3 batteries and went for a flight. So they all went from maybe 10% (don't know exact percentage when in hibernation mode) to 100%. It was first flight on first battery charge. Do you think I should try to fly with this battery again? A little bit afraid of doing so: maybe it would be unnecessary risk to aircraft. Second time can be not so lucky ;) Attached please find screeshots.

2018-3-21
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Nerius Posted at 2018-3-21 23:08
Thank you. When I got fly more combo, all batteries was empty (think it's for safety reasons, not to cause fire during shipment). Charged all 3 batteries and went for a flight. So they all went from maybe 10% (don't know exact percentage when in hibernation mode) to 100%. It was first flight on first battery charge. Do you think I should try to fly with this battery again? A little bit afraid of doing so: maybe it would be unnecessary risk to aircraft. Second time can be not so lucky ;) Attached please find screeshots.[view_image][view_image][view_image][view_image]

Nerius, thank you for the info. In your case, if it is possible, please provide us with the flight data from the drone, you can export the data via the DJI Assistant 2, upload to Dropbox and paste the link here, we will forward the data to the engineers to confirm again. Thank you in advance.
2018-3-21
Use props
Nerius
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-3-21 23:24
Nerius, thank you for the info. In your case, if it is possible, please provide us with the flight data from the drone, you can export the data via the DJI Assistant 2, upload to Dropbox and paste the link here, we will forward the data to the engineers to confirm again. Thank you in advance.

Thank you very much.
Attached please find dropbox link to all logs found in drone using dji Asistant2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zvxfbm ... 2_10-15-20.DAT?dl=0

Best regards
Nerius
2018-3-22
Use props
Nerius
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

UPDATE: Tested today with 4 new batteries, everything is OK, so it's 90% battery issue.
2018-3-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Nerius Posted at 2018-3-22 00:22
Thank you very much.
Attached please find dropbox link to all logs found in drone using dji Asistant2:

Received with thanks! I've forwarded this to our engineers for analysis, will come back as long as there is an update.
2018-3-24
Use props
Manufree
New

Hong Kong

Hello, this is a very strange phenomenon. We have never encountered a situation where the voltage display is 0V. If it is determined that there is no abnormal communication at that time, then do not use this battery. Please send the battery back to the R&D decision processing.
2018-3-29
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Strange, you're number two who have reported the same error in two days !!!

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=142272

Hope that DJI find out what is happening and get it fixed, so people are not forced to crash land at all weird places.   

Regards Leif.
2018-3-29
Use props
Nerius
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

Update 2: send battery to dji and they replaced it. Hope dji will find the issue soon.
2018-3-29
Use props
Keule
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Landbo Posted at 2018-3-29 19:26
Strange, you're number two who have reported the same error in two days !!!

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=142272

Here another one:
Link

edit: broken link
2018-3-29
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Keule Posted at 2018-3-29 21:42
Here another one:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=141637

Sorry but your link is stone dead.

But it turns out that the new Mavic Air models unfortunately are not without problems. Whether it's a special event that tricks the problem or if it's more general I do not know. Hope for Mavic Air owners that DJI can fix the problems.

Regards Leif.
2018-3-30
Use props
Keule
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Landbo Posted at 2018-3-30 03:00
Sorry but your link is stone dead.

But it turns out that the new Mavic Air models unfortunately are not without problems. Whether it's a special event that tricks the problem or if it's more general I do not know. Hope for Mavic Air owners that DJI can fix the problems.

Sorry for the broken link, but somehow the link contains an ampersand (&) and its getting changed to & when the URL is being submitted.
I fixed that by using an URL shortener.
2018-3-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Nerius Posted at 2018-3-29 20:10
Update 2: send battery to dji and they replaced it. Hope dji will find the issue soon.

Nerius, 11# is the reply from our engineers. It is recommended to send the unit in as well. If you encounter any difficulties later, feel free to contact us with your case number, we'll be here for help.
2018-3-30
Use props
Nerius
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

Keule Posted at 2018-3-29 21:42
Here another one:
Link

Thank you for information. It seems problem is battery communication with drone. Battery charge is as before, only drone did not see it, so shows 0% and starts to land. As emergency workaround in this case could be do not let drone land, keep UP stick up and head home or to safe place ASAP. Mavic Air should manage to do this, because battery charge in fact is not 0% and enough to return home. In my case, drone also wanted to land in a wet field and I did not let him to do this and brought back to safe place.
BTW problem happened with old firmware. Updated same day when new firmware came out and all tests after accident was done with new firmware.

2018-3-31
Use props
Nerius
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-30 23:52
Nerius, 11# is the reply from our engineers. It is recommended to send the unit in as well. If you encounter any difficulties later, feel free to contact us with your case number, we'll be here for help.

When editing my post, posts numbers somehow got messed. Post  9# now become 11#. Could you be so kind and provide more information when dji engineers will finish analyze my drone flight logs?

2018-3-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Nerius Posted at 2018-3-31 22:36
When editing my post, posts numbers somehow got messed. Post  9# now become 11#. Could you be so kind and provide more information when dji engineers will finish analyze my drone flight logs?

Yes, I see. Now, 11# is the right one from our engineers. I've edited the previous one to avoid further confusion. The analysis has been finished, and it looks like an individual issue, so our engineers suggest sending the battery in. The local team will take care once the package arrives.
2018-4-2
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-2 01:51
Yes, I see. Now, 11# is the right one from our engineers. I've edited the previous one to avoid further confusion. The analysis has been finished, and it looks like an individual issue, so our engineers suggest sending the battery in. The local team will take care once the package arrives.

Hi Susan, isn`t it a bit confusing to read a DJI engineer as a LV1 person?
Why not a tech icon with ENGINEER as description, like i see that you are an Administrator?
Cheers JJB
2018-4-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

JJBspark Posted at 2018-4-2 03:10
Hi Susan, isn`t it a bit confusing to read a DJI engineer as a LV1 person?
Why not a tech icon with ENGINEER as description, like i see that you are an Administrator?
Cheers JJB

Sorry about this. The R&D is participating the Forum more and more, therefore, the form will be restrained in the future. Thanks for your attention.
2018-4-2
Use props
Nerius
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-2 01:51

Thank you for information. Battery sent last week, received by dji and dji already sent me replacement. Expect to receive it within this week. Truly hope it's isolated battery problem and will be no problems in future. Thank you very much for support.
2018-4-3
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

That's not battery communication issue: the battery itself was blinking one led so this could mean that the protection board inside the battery was malfunctioning.
When you said it was blinking one LED which LED was it?

2018-4-3
Use props
Nerius
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

DJT_MVSP Posted at 2018-4-3 04:54
That's not battery communication issue: the battery itself was blinking one led so this could mean that the protection board inside the battery was malfunctioning.
When you said it was blinking one LED which LED was it?
[view_image]

LED1 accordingly diagram: LED which indicates lowest charge level.  And when I started to charge, it went from 1 blinking led to 3 in about minute or so. Probably you are right, and it's not communication issue, but issue with proper battery charge level display and reporting to drone. But battery was not empty, I believe. I was able to bring it back and land safely. It takes not to much time, because Mavic was near, maybe less than 10 seconds, but anyway, drone was still in the air, even app shows 0% battery charge.
2018-4-3
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

Nerius Posted at 2018-4-3 05:10
LED1 accordingly diagram: LED which indicates lowest charge level.  And when I started to charge, it went from 1 blinking led to 3 in about minute or so. Probably you are right, and it's not communication issue, but issue with proper battery charge level display and reporting to drone. But battery was not empty, I believe. I was able to bring it back and land safely. It takes not to much time, because Mavic was near, maybe less than 10 seconds, but anyway, drone was still in the air, even app shows 0% battery charge.

Now I can confirm the circuit board inside the battery is defective. It shows 0% as it couldn't find any information about the actual percentage of the battery. Which is a rare issue. Glad you got a replacement.
2018-4-3
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Nerius Posted at 2018-4-3 03:11
Thank you for information. Battery sent last week, received by dji and dji already sent me replacement. Expect to receive it within this week. Truly hope it's isolated battery problem and will be no problems in future. Thank you very much for support.

Great, nice to know everything works as expected, hope you receive the new package soon. Feel free to contact us if there is any further question.
2018-4-6
Use props
Nerius
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

Sent completely new defective Mavic Air battery (1 charge cycle) for replacement. Got back used (or refurbished). Although charging count was zero, package was not new, battery was fully charged and I can see dust, marks and scratches on plastic surface. Suppose dji technicians reset usage count.
I can understand, replacement used battery with another used, but replacing completely new with used which maybe counts a lot of charge cycles is not the best thing from dji side. This is why people (myself included) don’t want to send items back to dji and using it only as last resort. I suppose, you can send completely new, with a few flights, still under warranty and because of warranty issues,  drone to dji, but receive back another refurbished, with hundreds of flying hours. Unacceptable in my opinion.
2018-4-8
Use props
djiuser_JcsEkgVTpHif
lvl.2
Flight distance : 310892 ft
United States

I had a critically low battery landing  3 or 4 days ago.  Only cost me some props, but the air is getting shipped back tomorrow as the Gimbal has now stopped working.    Was only less than a 1/2 mile from return home point.  Drone was 300ft up hovering, app crashed.  I put it in sport mode and clicked return to home while I  loaded the app back up.  Within the minute it took to load again, it went from 73% battery down to 14% battery.  By the time I had video feed again it was landing it into a tree.    I watch battery % like a hawk and had only been up like 3 minutes or so when the app crash happened.  I marked the battery it happened with, and that is the one going back with the drone.  

Really hope the new one is less buggy.  Love the drone, but it's rare I don't have to mess around and use up 3 or 4% of a battery getting it ready to fly.   Thankfully this isn't going to use up my care refresh and is under warranty, but a week or two without my drone when the weather is finally starting to warm up, sucks..    So ya,  I also   seem to have the same battery issue.  Had to be some sort of communication or battery bms issue.   I build evehicles and commute daily on a self built ebike with over 27,000 miles on it.   I know lithium batteries well.  
2018-4-9
Use props
PhilippPfneisl
lvl.1

Iceland

Hello Everybody

I'm new in this forum but I unfortunately have to report my own personal battery issue with the MA. I bought the drone just 3 weeks ago for my vacation in Iceland. I flew already some batteries with no issues but up in the air in iceland my MA decided to crash because of this battery issue. On one location high above a waterfall my battery was at 70% and suddenly dropped to 25% in a blink of a second. The RTH treshold was set to default so the drone decided to come home but the battery was dropping every 5 seconds for 5% so the Air reached within 25 seconds 0% battery and wanted to land on the into the waterfall. Only by luck I pushed the lever up to prevent the drone from landing but it continued countersteer wanting to go done. I finally managed to fly the drone on save ground but it crashed into a rock. Now my brand new drone looks totally sratched

I'm a newby to drone flying and it totally scares me and I'm not 100% confident flying now, even on dry ground. Additionally there i received yesterday another issue with signal lost but thats offtopic in this thread. Actually I bought me a DJI because I believed that they are more error resistent than other drone manufacturers.

Totally disappinted. How can I prevent such a failure in the future?

btw.. The battery itself displayed 2 full LEDs on a test so the battery itself did was empty at all. It was just the drone that believed that the battery is empty.
2018-6-4
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Did you upgrade the firmware with all batteries? This problem should be fixed by firmware upgrade. Recharge the battery after upgrade and test it.
2018-6-4
Use props
GerhardB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 168940 ft
Portugal

My battery for Mavic Air suddenly does not let me talk off, shows error message: 'Cannot takeoff. Ensure the aircraft battery is properly connected.'

The battery is fully charged, 38x charged, always on original charger hub, never crashed, never got wet, never in extreme temperatures, status displayed: 'Connection OK', all 4 LED are green.

I updated the controller firmware, also drained the battery to very low level and recharged, cleaned all contacts: Problem continues.

My other 2 batteries work perfectly well on the same drone.
2018-8-22
Use props
Dave.MA
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17648 ft
Poland

GerhardB Posted at 2018-8-22 07:55
My battery for Mavic Air suddenly does not let me talk off, shows error message: 'Cannot takeoff. Ensure the aircraft battery is properly connected.'

The battery is fully charged, 38x charged, always on original charger hub, never crashed, never got wet, never in extreme temperatures, status displayed: 'Connection OK', all 4 LED are green.

40# I have the same problem with my battery ;( Do you fix it?i bought my mavic air 2 days ago.. and it was be a new from shop.
2018-9-2
Use props
nixuspix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Nerius Posted at 2018-4-8 03:27
Sent completely new defective Mavic Air battery (1 charge cycle) for replacement. Got back used (or refurbished). Although charging count was zero, package was not new, battery was fully charged and I can see dust, marks and scratches on plastic surface. Suppose dji technicians reset usage count.
I can understand, replacement used battery with another used, but replacing completely new with used which maybe counts a lot of charge cycles is not the best thing from dji side. This is why people (myself included) don’t want to send items back to dji and using it only as last resort. I suppose, you can send completely new, with a few flights, still under warranty and because of warranty issues,  drone to dji, but receive back another refurbished, with hundreds of flying hours. Unacceptable in my opinion.

Mate you're a bit wrong - you've got a 100% working battery instead of the DEAD one. DJI rules say that replacement should not be a brand new, it may be refurbished
2018-9-2
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nerius Posted at 2018-3-23 03:21
UPDATE: Tested today with 4 new batteries, everything is OK, so it's 90% battery issue.

Faulty cells, it happens. If the battery was incapable of holding the charge / correct voltage for flight, you were a lucky pilot to avoid a fallout of the air crash. I did a really enjoyable freestyle quad flight before my hols and forgot to keep an eye on the voltage. Went to charge the battery after cool down and it was fried. Managed to land, like yourself but would not accept a new charge due to over discharge. Was bummed due to being an expensive 4s Lipo. This is the flight that killed it -

2018-9-2
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Nerius Posted at 2018-4-8 03:27
Sent completely new defective Mavic Air battery (1 charge cycle) for replacement. Got back used (or refurbished). Although charging count was zero, package was not new, battery was fully charged and I can see dust, marks and scratches on plastic surface. Suppose dji technicians reset usage count.
I can understand, replacement used battery with another used, but replacing completely new with used which maybe counts a lot of charge cycles is not the best thing from dji side. This is why people (myself included) don’t want to send items back to dji and using it only as last resort. I suppose, you can send completely new, with a few flights, still under warranty and because of warranty issues,  drone to dji, but receive back another refurbished, with hundreds of flying hours. Unacceptable in my opinion.

I would not accept a secondhand product if my brand new one is defective. Send it back, demand a new one.
2018-9-2
Use props
fans27ddf9aa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 191952 ft
United States

The Mavic Air battery issues continue.  My two day old MA (on it's sixth flight) (still on first charge of the three batteries in a fly more combo) was hovering with 56% battery life when the app screen went blank (no video feed) but could still see other non-video info from the app.  

RTH started then the MA dropped out of the sky, breaking the front leg off and the rear foot.  Upon inspection I pressed the battery button, zero lights.  

Removed that battery and put a new one in to see the extent of electronic damage.  With a new battery installed the MA powered on, props and gimbal did their initial start up movements and lights are on to all four wings.

Clearly a battery issue!

This was my first drone so I had all app failsafe  features enabled.  Flight log shows me hovering and 56% battery, then log ends.
2018-9-2
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PhilippPfneisl Posted at 2018-6-4 15:52
Hello Everybody

I'm new in this forum but I unfortunately have to report my own personal battery issue with the MA. I bought the drone just 3 weeks ago for my vacation in Iceland. I flew already some batteries with no issues but up in the air in iceland my MA decided to crash because of this battery issue. On one location high above a waterfall my battery was at 70% and suddenly dropped to 25% in a blink of a second. The RTH treshold was set to default so the drone decided to come home but the battery was dropping every 5 seconds for 5% so the Air reached within 25 seconds 0% battery and wanted to land on the into the waterfall. Only by luck I pushed the lever up to prevent the drone from landing but it continued countersteer wanting to go done. I finally managed to fly the drone on save ground but it crashed into a rock. Now my brand new drone looks totally sratched

Just out of interest and not knowing what the temperature is in Iceland at any time of year....How cold was it when you actually flew your drone.?. I know people fly in all sorts of funky conditions but temperature can do funny things to Lipo batteries if it's either too hot or cold. Just an idea. May not be linked and may just be a duff battery. Strange as there seems to be a boat load if battery issues cropping up on here at present.
2018-9-3
Use props
fans68ece809
lvl.1
Canada

The exact same thing happened to me the other day... I was flying my Mavic air and battery started at 100% I took it out about a km away from me out in the country. All the sudden I noticed my return to home icon was rapidly moving and I saw that my battery was rapidly draining like 1% a second !!! I tried to quickly come home but I wasn’t going to make it. Luckily I was able to land in a field safely not too far from me and was able to retrieve my drone. When I got to the drone it was still powered on even though when I emergency landed the battery was at 0% .... was pretty scary.  I have marked that Battery so I know which one it was. I recharged it fully and did a second test on it and it seemed ok. But now I’m scared to use any battery on my drone as I don’t want the same thing to happen again and not be so lucky the second time
2019-2-12
Use props
Nerius
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

fans68ece809 Posted at 2-12 05:38
The exact same thing happened to me the other day... I was flying my Mavic air and battery started at 100% I took it out about a km away from me out in the country. All the sudden I noticed my return to home icon was rapidly moving and I saw that my battery was rapidly draining like 1% a second !!! I tried to quickly come home but I wasn’t going to make it. Luckily I was able to land in a field safely not too far from me and was able to retrieve my drone. When I got to the drone it was still powered on even though when I emergency landed the battery was at 0% .... was pretty scary.  I have marked that Battery so I know which one it was. I recharged it fully and did a second test on it and it seemed ok. But now I’m scared to use any battery on my drone as I don’t want the same thing to happen again and not be so lucky the second time

Contact support, they will replace it. After they replaced my Mavic Air battery, everything is OK now.
2019-2-12
Use props
fans68ece809
lvl.1
Canada

The exact same thing happened to me. My battery which was at 100% suddenly started draining instantly about 1% a second... and I was about a km away from me. I couldn’t make it back In time. I was very lucky to be able to make it to the ground in time in a farmers field not too far from me. And was able to go and retrieve it. When I got to the drone it was still powered on even though when I landed it it was on 0% battery.  Now I am scared to used any of the batteries as the second time I might not be so lucky
2019-2-12
Use props
Nerius
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

fans68ece809 Posted at 2-12 05:42
The exact same thing happened to me. My battery which was at 100% suddenly started draining instantly about 1% a second... and I was about a km away from me. I couldn’t make it back In time. I was very lucky to be able to make it to the ground in time in a farmers field not too far from me. And was able to go and retrieve it. When I got to the drone it was still powered on even though when I landed it it was on 0% battery.  Now I am scared to used any of the batteries as the second time I might not be so lucky

Read my replay ;)
2019-2-12
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules