Mavic Air/Samsung S9 Plus (yay)
3466 7 2018-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

When I bought my Air I was exceedingly peeved to discover my S5 wouldn't play with DJI GO 4. Not at all. Not even slightly.

So I bought a brand-new S9+. I knew if was stoopid ... but there were no cheap options. The cheapest second hand Ipad Mini 4 on Ebay was £250. I wouldn't want to buy an S6 or S7 when I had a perfectly good and functional S5. And an S8 was still a lot of money. This is known as "throwing good money after bad". Buying something you don't want just to fix a problem you didn't expect.

So, an S9 in the sure and certain knowledge that DJI GO 4 might barf (that is another item of UK slang). But at least I could play with my new shiny phone while crying acid tears and throwing the drone at the wall.

The good news is that it looks like it is working with the RC controller (see photo). You can see the S9+ in the controller attached with the OTG cable. I couldn't fly the drone because of the wind, but it looks promising.

BTW, I spent a frustrating hour trying to link the Air to the RC controller. I read a long thread from people with the same problem - after linking to WiFi control they couldn't go back to RC control. My solution was to turn off wifi on the phone - I figured it might have been drowning the controller signal. Then it linked.
Mavic Air small.jpg
2018-3-22
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Ohhhhh hell I should have told you the S9 doesn't work on the red fella, just the white and black fellas...... it won't take off..... go on try it  
2018-3-22
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

And remove all those sticky things.... All of them, especially the hidden suckers on the sensors
2018-3-22
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Ohhhh oh oh Happy Flying
2018-3-22
Use props
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

M2Wair Posted at 2018-3-22 02:10
Ohhhhh hell I should have told you the S9 doesn't work on the red fella, just the white and black fellas...... it won't take off..... go on try it

I have some black spray paint in the shed.

Now I think about it, wasp black/yellow stripes might be a good look. And a picnic sensor.
2018-3-22
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Valkeerie Posted at 2018-3-22 02:15
I have some black spray paint in the shed.

Now I think about it, wasp stripes might be a good look.

Delighted you got it sorted, just wait for the wind and happy flying..... Welcome to the Air Club
2018-3-22
Use props
Robothamster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51135 ft
United Kingdom

I have the S8.  
Regarding your linking issue, I had that once but have a start-up procedure I use now and it connects 1st time everytime since:

• Turn on Air.
  • Turn on controller.
  • Wait for controller LED to go green, indicating it's connected to Air.
  • Plug phone into the OTG cable and boot up DJI Go4 app.  (also I now always put phone into Airplane mode, seems to help greatly with connection distance)

That's what works for me.

2018-3-22
Use props
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Robothamster Posted at 2018-3-22 02:20
I have the S8.  
Regarding your linking issue, I had that once but have a start-up procedure I use now and it connects 1st time everytime since:

It would not surprise me at all if the Wifi on the phone "bled over" the channel used by the return signal from the drone. I used to be a licensed radio ham and have had countless experiences of strong signals from taxis, illegal-power CB radios and so on blasting through every frequency on the receiver.

It's only radio. So thanks for the tip.
2018-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules