Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is it worth taking a drone to Japan?
4631 9 2018-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
forbsie
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Hi Guys,

I am planning an extended trip to Japan during Oct/Nov this year. I checked on drone laws for the country, and while on the surface they sound quite reasonable it seems that in reality drones are prohibited in all but the most remote place due to local laws. They are banned in most major cities, national parks, and monuments i.e. all the places you'd really want to fly your drone.

I am hoping that we may have some Japanese pilots on this forum who could provide some local knowledge?

Thanks
2018-3-22
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i am not japanese but i think i have a valid thought - you will regret it if you do not take it - not gonna take up any space, take it.....
2018-3-22
Use props
Nomadic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 754692 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I'm going to visit Tokyo early in May and also have this concern, it is allowed to fly there?
2018-3-22
Use props
forbsie
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-3-22 04:23
i am not japanese but i think i have a valid thought - you will regret it if you do not take it - not gonna take up any space, take it.....

Yeah, very valid point, .. I was thinking the same thing.
2018-3-22
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Japan has scenery that is to die for, I would take the drone and avoid areas that are restricted. The countryside in Japan is awesome, just use common sense when flying and don't stick out like a sore thumb. Enjoy your trip and post how you get on when you get back.
2018-3-22
Use props
forbsie
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Nomadic Posted at 2018-3-22 04:39
I'm going to visit Tokyo early in May and also have this concern, it is allowed to fly there?

From my research almost all of Tokyo is off limits unless you apply for a permit. The permit is not open ended i.e. you have to specify your flight route (which to me suggests it's a one time only permit). The permit is only in Japanese, they do not have an English version and takes about 14 days to process. You are not allowed to fly in any of Tokyo's 81 parks or gardens even if you have a permit. If you are only going to Tokyo it may not be worth taking your drone.
2018-3-22
Use props
forbsie
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

M2Wair Posted at 2018-3-22 13:37
Japan has scenery that is to die for, I would take the drone and avoid areas that are restricted. The countryside in Japan is awesome, just use common sense when flying and don't stick out like a sore thumb. Enjoy your trip and post how you get on when you get back.

Thanks! I can only agree regarding the scenery, I was there about a year ago for a short trip. This time I'll be there for 6 weeks and am still finding it hard to narrow down my itinerary.
2018-3-22
Use props
fansfe86a921
lvl.2
Flight distance : 578701 ft
Japan

forbsie Posted at 2018-3-22 13:42
Thanks! I can only agree regarding the scenery, I was there about a year ago for a short trip. This time I'll be there for 6 weeks and am still finding it hard to narrow down my itinerary.

While you cannot fly the drone in the city, there is no issue in the rural area.  I took my drone to trip in Hokkaido.  I did not fly in Sapporo, but for most of the places are ok.  In one of the farm (Shikisai No Oka), there is a clear sign of no drone, I only fly outside the perimeter to take some photo with bird's eye view.  Nobody come to me to say anything.  But I pretty much restrict myself in rural area (except the one in Otaru seaside).  I fly at the Shirahige Waterfall very early in the morning (it was cold) when there is nobody around.  You can look up clips that I took in my trip (sorry for the lousy technique, still learning).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5jO5tJcQjNM55CLD7rLWpQ
2018-3-22
Use props
forbsie
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

fansfe86a921 Posted at 2018-3-22 19:11
While you cannot fly the drone in the city, there is no issue in the rural area.  I took my drone to trip in Hokkaido.  I did not fly in Sapporo, but for most of the places are ok.  In one of the farm (Shikisai No Oka), there is a clear sign of no drone, I only fly outside the perimeter to take some photo with bird's eye view.  Nobody come to me to say anything.  But I pretty much restrict myself in rural area (except the one in Otaru seaside).  I fly at the Shirahige Waterfall very early in the morning (it was cold) when there is nobody around.  You can look up clips that I took in my trip (sorry for the lousy technique, still learning).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5jO5tJcQjNM55CLD7rLWpQ

Thanks for your reply, and I will have a look at your movies.

I'll be in Sapporo and Hakodate in mid-Oct and hopefully follow Autumn south spending the majority of my time in Honshu and a short time in Kyushu. I'm hoping to do a couple of days on the Nakasendo Trail, and seeing some of the natural places on this trip. Really looking forward to returning to Japan, it is a spectacularly beautiful and friendly place to visit (the food and beer is pretty good too)

Cheers

Steve
2018-3-22
Use props
kfloke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149961 ft
Singapore

Please bring and show us nice video... you will regret if never bring. Just follow the law and common sense of drone flying
2018-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules