Was going to order a Mavic Air but..
2816 39 2018-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
el pelo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236768 ft
United States

Now I am concerned because of all the connection issues I keep reading about. Is this an isolated issue or something more wide spread? Everything about the Mavic Air seems perfect except for the wifi connection.

Any users having a good experience? I plan to fly in citys and in nature.
2018-3-22
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
United States

People tend to post when they are having issues and don't often post when they are busy out flying each day, having a blast, and not experiencing any issues.
2018-3-22
Use props
1px0ff
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237238 ft
United States

Far_North Posted at 2018-3-22 05:48
People tend to post when they are having issues and don't often post when they are busy out flying each day, having a blast, and not experiencing any issues.

this is good advice.  Mavic Pro has a lot of posts like this too, and I have never had a single hiccup.  If you like and want the air then just go for it
2018-3-22
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The bulk of reported issue are generally down to user error, by that I mean, using unsupported mobile devices, not setting the AC up correctly etc or over anticipated flight distance requirements and new user syndrome.

My air has flown like a trooper and so far has unequivocally surpassed expectations, it is a fabulous little aircraft.
2018-3-22
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cities provide their own issues due to all the electrical interference with WiFi, LOS, the nature of the buildings themselves. Pretty frowned upon and generally against the rules in cities but will be safe with nature and wide open area's etc. Any drone may have issues in any built up area's so flight planning is key here for worry/trouble free flying. Just got myself a new MP as know it's solid. Saying that, as per already mentioned, user error is massive on here as there are more and more new pilots starting out. Manual, learn the craft, plan your flights and most important - Understand the rules of flying and enjoy.
2018-3-22
Use props
Acenspades
lvl.3
United States

I can attest that if you are flying the Mavic in the city, that the range is just inconsistent.  On stock controller I inconsistently get 400m here, 80m there, maybe 300m.  I got the Maxx Mod and the most range i got was 800m.  For me the "enhanced" wifi is not optimized for city flying.  and for that reason, I regret purchasing my AIR TBH.
2018-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If your flying in cities then you must already be aware that there is interference with all drones using both radio and gps , if you think it will be better than Mavic it’s not, there is no problem with the range in MavAir the problem is with those flying in high interference areas.
2018-3-22
Use props
Tom Jelfs
lvl.2

I live in the UK near a river with a mix of a large villages and countryside I've not experienced any loss of signal. At the end of the day it's all about how far you fly, people losing drones will be sending them beyond their eye sight which is not recommended, just because a drone can go 2km doesn't mean you should.  I flew mine around 250m the other day and it felt so far away but I could still see it, I got great shots at no risk, it's all about how you use it.
2018-3-22
Use props
VLOGNOSIS
lvl.3
United States

I've flown inside industrial buildings with tons of wifi & electromechanical interference. No problems yet...
2018-3-22
Use props
MWitarsa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2058179 ft
Brazil

Far_North Posted at 2018-3-22 05:48

It is a good point of view!
2018-3-22
Use props
el pelo
lvl.3
United States

OP here. I currently own a Mavic Pro and have never had any connection / latency issues. I do remember filming in Ireland with a spark and having some skips in my video.
2018-3-22
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI’s decision to use wi-fi instead of ocusync is the reason why the range is very limited, about the only thing you can do is sell the air and buy the mavic Pro...
2018-3-22
Use props
Acenspades
lvl.3
United States

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-3-22 08:32
DJI’s decision to use wi-fi instead of ocusync is the reason why the range is very limited, about the only thing you can do is sell the air and buy the mavic Pro...

^^ agree. looking to sell mine ^^
2018-3-22
Use props
fansf0a89141
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17470771 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Over had two mavic pro and both have flown away. Definitely not a city machines if it can't handle the country. I would try a different Brand. The GPS on this is very finicky and I've found when you need it the line when passing pnr it doesn't flip to come home even with there settings up. Just my opinion.

Have a good day.
2018-3-22
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I flown my air in all situations with no faults to report.  Fantastic little quad, and in my opinion the best overall drone that DJI currently builds.  I own a few.
2018-3-22
Use props
Matthew Chirico
First Officer
Flight distance : 769160 ft
United States

I have the Air and really cant complain after getting used to it coming from the Mavic Pro. Yea there were a bit of connection issues but you can get around it by going into airplane mode on your phone, that helped my initial issues during my maiden flight. I created this video from my first 2 days of using the Air
2018-3-22
Use props
stacebaal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 621257 ft
United States

I've flown the Phantom 4 since it was released and also have the Mavic Air.  I have to say I love the Air and haven't had any connection problems, I've ben surprised at the rage and signal strength in several situations. If you're looking to purchase your first drone and new to the hobby, be realistic about expectations of flying any consumer drone in cities.  If you live in a city and primarily travel to large cities and heavy tourist areas, be ready to face lots of restrictions and no-fly zones. Flight distance will be the least of your worries.  
2018-3-22
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Nature hasn't given me any problems, but if your wish is to fly the cities, I wouldn't buy the Mavic Air.
2018-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Matthew Chirico Posted at 2018-3-22 09:47
I have the Air and really cant complain after getting used to it coming from the Mavic Pro. Yea there were a bit of connection issues but you can get around it by going into airplane mode on your phone, that helped my initial issues during my maiden flight. I created this video from my first 2 days of using the Air https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PlbrOMrsKE

Great video..
2018-3-22
Use props
Acenspades
lvl.3
United States

stacebaal Posted at 2018-3-22 09:50
I've flown the Phantom 4 since it was released and also have the Mavic Air.  I have to say I love the Air and haven't had any connection problems, I've ben surprised at the rage and signal strength in several situations. If you're looking to purchase your first drone and new to the hobby, be realistic about expectations of flying any consumer drone in cities.  If you live in a city and primarily travel to large cities and heavy tourist areas, be ready to face lots of restrictions and no-fly zones. Flight distance will be the least of your worries.

For me, i live right in the middle of Los Angles. I've been droning around; early morning, mid day, afternoons.  TBH no one has gotten in my face or ask me to stop.  
I don't know if people just don't mind or what. but my public experience has been positive.  
The range experience has not been so pleasant.

Let me say i like the Air's small profile and portability. I just don't like the inconsistent connection i get in the city.  
I've flown outside the city and it's a wonderful drone, but i see myself as a city flyer mostly.  

I'm going  to go for the Autel Evo when it comes out.

Hope this helps.
2018-3-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Since you are in the states, connection won't be much of an issue if you fly anywhere between 100 - 400m
2018-3-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

You really cannot compare Ocusync to WiFi if you are planning to fly in areas with lots of interference?
2018-3-22
Use props
crashking
lvl.1

Get a Yunnec Typhon H I have 2 and love them, Bought an Air and have been trying to get it to connect every days since and have spent hours on the phone with DJI tech support that's been useless.
2018-3-22
Use props
el pelo
lvl.3
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-22 11:55
You really cannot compare Ocusync to WiFi if you are planning to fly in areas with lots of interference?

I currently have the MP which has ocusync. Some of the features of the AIR are nice though. I might occasionally fly in the city but rare. Will mostly fly in outdoor / nature type places.
2018-3-22
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
New Zealand

I wonder how many people with connection issues/interference are running in 2.4gHz rather than 5.8gHz?   I've been flying in small parks where there are lots of houses around (with WLAN's), but that's probably not as bad as built up areas with skyscrapers etc (which it's illegal to fly around anyway - can't fly over public roads etc in NZ).

No connection or range issues here - most distance i've got to was just shy of 3.5km, and this was in suburbia.
2018-3-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

el pelo Posted at 2018-3-22 12:02
I currently have the MP which has ocusync. Some of the features of the AIR are nice though. I might occasionally fly in the city but rare. Will mostly fly in outdoor / nature type places.

Do you also have the Spark as well?
2018-3-22
Use props
Hyggen Aviator
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1055610 ft

I intermittently lost contact with my Air today, while flying low level over a frozen fjord - when I discovered that my car was between me and the drone... I don't fly in cities, and haven't had any significant trouble with the connection. Some glitches in the video reception, but next time I will try to turn the phone into airplane mode, which I have seen many people recommend!
2018-3-22
Use props
el pelo
lvl.3
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-22 12:43
Do you also have the Spark as well?

I got rid of the spark. I thought it was a great drone and ease of use was nice but the picture quality was not great.
2018-3-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

el pelo Posted at 2018-3-22 13:14
I got rid of the spark. I thought it was a great drone and ease of use was nice but the picture quality was not great.

I guess the Mavic Air would be a similar but upgraded version to the Spark for you, offering a 3 Axis Gimbal and 4K UHD video camera, you would probably like it?
2018-3-22
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>

Nope its been fine, goes out to over 1Km in the UK with no problem. My Spark on the other hand, I lose connection when I can still see it :-)
2018-3-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

Face-AcheNZ Posted at 2018-3-22 12:23
I wonder how many people with connection issues/interference are running in 2.4gHz rather than 5.8gHz?   I've been flying in small parks where there are lots of houses around (with WLAN's), but that's probably not as bad as built up areas with skyscrapers etc (which it's illegal to fly around anyway - can't fly over public roads etc in NZ).

No connection or range issues here - most distance i've got to was just shy of 3.5km, and this was in suburbia.

5.8 GHz seems like a more reliable frequency than 2.4 GHz.
2018-3-22
Use props
TroutboyNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1726486 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

There is nothing wrong with the range nor connection on the Air... people live in dense city's with a multitude of interference problems then moan, most often it's also inexperience... i.e. forget to put antennas up, orientate the RC incorrectly for overhead, wrong RTH settings, fly in strong wind, panic and hit the wrong button, fly in NFZ, don't fly in flight mode on their phones etc... I COULD go on, much of it down to NOT reading the $%$#@! manual, taking the time to watch tutorials and expecting to buy and simply... fly... sigh...
2018-3-22
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi there, it is recommended to fly a drone in an open area where the GPS is good and no magnetic interference, so if you have purchased a drone, please take care of it and do not fly it in a hard environment. Thanks!
2018-3-22
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

I have the Air and really cant complain after getting used to it coming from the Mavic Pro. Yea there were a bit of connection issues but you can get around it by going into airplane mode on your phone, that helped my initial issues during my maiden flight. I created this video from my first 2 days of using the Air https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PlbrOMrsKE

A nice video, like it. Thank you for your sharing
2018-3-22
Use props
Robothamster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51135 ft
United Kingdom

That was a great video, did you get any grief from people seeing you flying it in the city?
2018-3-23
Use props
Matthew Chirico
First Officer
Flight distance : 769160 ft
United States

Robothamster Posted at 2018-3-23 02:04
That was a great video, did you get any grief from people seeing you flying it in the city?

none at all because I try to fly where/when people/crowds usually aren't so that I don't cause a "scene". I'm also really quick with it; up and down and onto the next location!
2018-3-23
Use props
Tzead
lvl.2

India

Three things which I saw goes easily wrong with ma.
Gimbal too flimsy one single crash could lead to gimbal overload.
Lens some of them has too much distortion for wide angle.
Three and last is very annoying is the remote joysticks are very cheap quality. After few months it could lead to not centering properly which can make rc beep and quad drift
2019-2-19
Use props
J AV10
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31686 ft
United States

Robothamster Posted at 2018-3-23 02:04

Good question. Here in Colorado, some people think the airspace is off limits.
2019-2-19
Use props
fansf0a89141
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17470771 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Do yourself a favor,I've owned 5 different dji units. Go buy a different brand think American made. Yeah I did have the odd unit that was ok but the bad far out weighted the good. Along with their customer service it's a landslide towards bad. You've been warned
2021-6-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fansf0a89141 Posted at 6-10 22:54
Do yourself a favor,I've owned 5 different dji units. Go buy a different brand think American made. Yeah I did have the odd unit that was ok but the bad far out weighted the good. Along with their customer service it's a landslide towards bad. You've been warned

Go buy a different brand think American made.
Uh-huh ... now tell me which American made drone you'd shop for??
And then check the price and features.

I've read your rants and your "bad luck" is way beyond what anyone else experiences.
You've got to wonder how much was not a DJI issue.
2021-6-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules