49459 20 2015-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shaqmoney
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3 ft
  • >>>
United States

what's the best memory card to use with the new phantom 3 that will be best to shoot 4K video.  Any suggestions.  I see that they sent the Lexar 16gb 633 class 10 but that card doesnt rate for 4K shooting.  Heard about a San Disk Pro listed at 4K recording but i think its a class 3 card i wonder if it will take with the P3, any suggestions.
2015-5-6
Use props
Alterastro
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I thought the Lexar x633 was the fastest card out there's?!?
2015-5-6
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

The Sandisk Pro series is great and will keep you future-proofed BUT it is a little expensive for what it is. The 4k video from the Phantom needs a max write speed of 60 Mbps while the Sandisk pro has a max write speed of 90 MBps. Unless there is a typo on the DJI site, the lower case/capital B makes a difference; one being megabits and the other being megabytes (8 megabits). If this is correct, the max write speed of the Phantom is 7.5 MBps (60 bits turned into bytes). This means you are perfectly fine with the Sandisk Extreme for much cheaper and that has a max write speed of 40 MBps. All the cards are class 10 (which dictates the minimum write speed) and both of these Sandisk cards are U3 which is better for video.
2015-5-6
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

I have the 64 gb sandisk class 10 extreme and it does just fine for 4 K
2015-5-6
Use props
HansSolo1911
lvl.1

United States

The bestbuy deal of the day is SanDisk - Extreme PLUS 64GB microSDXC UHS-3 Class U-3 Memory Card - Red/Gold for 34.99. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sand ... 4&skuId=9387093 also the 32 gig version is 21.99
2015-5-6
Use props
shaqmoney
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for all the replies great info.
2015-5-6
Use props
ed
New

Belgium

DJI says the video bitrate is up to 60 Mb/sec. So that is 7.5 MB/sec. However, DJI claims a UHS class 10 card is required. However, I see no real argument to support that claim. In fact, I tested 4K video 25 Hz with an old class 4 card and guess what, no problem whatsover - no dropped frames, no lag nothing. The card I used has an average writing speed of 6 MB/sec. Now that is actually less then the average bitrate of the video file, so I think the camera even has a decent writing buffer to deal with that. In fact, I noticed the video recording did not stop at once after touching the stop button, but seemingly continued for maybe 2 seconds, probably the buffer at work.
I'd say use anything with a minimum writing speed of 8 MB/sec and you're good. There is no truth in "Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required" as the Phantom 3 specs say.

I recorded some video samples indoor, at night, in low light, on auto. Yes there was some motion blur. The same in the videos on the slow card, as it was on the Lexar class 10 card. No difference at all.

Could it be that DJI claims you need high speed cards, just to suggest the camera is so high end it can't do without?

I'm not lying. Test it yourself.
2015-7-13
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

While it's true the P3 only writes 4k video at 7.5MB/s, it's a good idea to have a memory card that writes at least at 40MB/s if you're taking photos too (especially RAW photos). RAW photos are normally 23MB+ in size. If using a slower card, you will most likely see some lag if taking multiple photos in a row.

Here's a list of memory cards that work well with the P3:
http://www.PhantomHelp.com/#MemoryCardsP3

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-7-14
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-7-14 19:28
While it's true the P3 only writes 4k video at 7.5MB/s, it's a good idea to have a memory card that  ...

Numerous times we've seen comments here from users who have experienced what they thought were excessive delays between shots. Is that basically just slow write times to the card or is it still possible there's some additional problem?
2015-7-14
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-7-14 20:45
Numerous times we've seen comments here from users who have experienced what they thought were exc ...

I'm assuming it's just slow write times since people who use the SanDisk Extreme Pro claim it's not an issue. For example:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... Id=OOGRROFPDPGMSJHB

That memory card comes in different sizes. All have the same write speed. It's the fastest available right now.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-7-14
Use props
ed
New

Belgium

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-7-14 19:28
While it's true the P3 only writes 4k video at 7.5MB/s, it's a good idea to have a memory card that  ...

So that is affirmative then, a Class 10/UHS-1 speed card is NOT REQUIRED, contrary to the official DJI Phantom 3 specifications "Supported SD Card Types: Micro SD - Max capacity: 64 GB. Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required"

Of course that is not the only thing which is incorrect in that specs list. My P3 is limited to 600 meters altitude, not 6000 meters. That is some typo there.

I hate lies.
2015-7-25
Use props
Drmarc83
New

Canada

ed@hevig.be Posted at 2015-7-25 20:17
So that is affirmative then, a Class 10/UHS-1 speed card is NOT REQUIRED, contrary to the official  ...

Your P3 is limited to 5000 meters Above Sea Level (I'm assuming that's where the air is too thin for the propellers to create enough lift to support it)  and 500 meters above where you took off from (for safety? I guess)

So its technically not a lie, you just have to take off from above 4500m of altitude to reach 5000m
2015-8-24
Use props
spheasant1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

This works great in my bird: (64GB @ $21 and PRIME shipping):    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Cl ... RQBQ18N3YQYY7JBF9PN
2015-8-24
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

I get the fastest I can... Not because the P3 needs it... because it downloads much faster...
2015-8-25
Use props
lijesen nl
New

Netherlands

Cacc Posted at 2015-5-6 20:48
The Sandisk Pro series is great and will keep you future-proofed BUT it is a little expensive for wh ...

CORRECT!!! I bought a sandisk pro and: IT DOES NOT WORK ON THE PHANTOM 3 PROFESSIONAL!!!
2015-10-11
Use props
lijesen nl
New

Netherlands

Sandisk pro (64) is NOT werking om THE phantom 3 professional!!!!
2015-10-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The best card for the P3 Pro is the Sandisk Extreme Pro. Why waste your time experimenting with lesser cards, only to potentially lose material as a result? IMO it is not worth the risk. Also, with regard to buffers in a camera, they are only useful for still shots, a camera shooting high rate video will overwhelm any buffer in no time, they must be able to write continuously at a high sustained rate and that requires a capable card.

Most manufacturers of cards, including Sandisk, provide a write speed specification that includes the phrasing 'Up to XX MB/s' or similar, and often tout the read speed because it is faster. Read speed is of little interest, it is the write speed that matter.

The published write speed spec. is not the real-world performance of the card, it is what the card can achieve in short bursts. It does not reflect the sustained write speed, which is the most important figure for determining if a card will work with the camera.

In short, if DJI recommends a certain figure, then believe it, they will have tested it in the camera and know that it works.
2015-10-11
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

I purchased the 64 GB SanDisk Extreme Plus,  Oh MY! I copied a 4 gb video directly from my P3P to a folder in 53 sec!  With the original 16gb card I would be waiting for almost 4 min.!  Figures out to almost 75K MB's (Megabytes sec!)   Assuming my math is right.  I can play 4k video directly from the Phantom with very little pausing/stuttering!

Original price was $159, got it for $59
2015-10-11
Use props
Maritimer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 106673 ft
Canada

omg why are these cards expensive?
2017-9-22
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I agree with those that choose to pay a little more for a good card. Why waste your time with saving a few bucks and take the chance of losing your data. I totally get everybody has a budget to live with, but if it means you have to wait a bit to save up for the better card I think it is worth it. The added feature is that your downloads are faster too.
2017-9-22
Use props
dayviduk
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Would this  work well in a P3A
SanDisk Extreme PRO 32 GB SDHC Memory Card up to 95 MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30

Maybe i should say what is the best for a P3A
2017-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now