Flying to Caribbean, do you compass calibrate or not?
645 9 2018-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nutsnbolts
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Ok, quick question, I'm flying from NJ to the British Virgin Islands and getting on a boat for a 5 day sailing trip. Before you get on the boat, should i compass calibrate or just check the drone to see if it asks me to calibrate?

I'm getting mixed answers to this. Some say since you are going quite a distance to calibrate. Some say to do it only if it asks??

Huh? Obviously I don't want to calibrate while on the boat as it would probably be a lot of metal interference. I don't want to ship out and then it tells me to calibrate and I'm like uhh crap!

2018-3-23
Use props
ChasesDronePics
lvl.4
Flight distance : 198990 ft
United States

According to the manual, "Only calibrate the compass when the DJI GO app or status indicator prompt you to do so."

I would do a test flight where you keep it close. If the drone is flying in straight lines and not drifting, then you should be ok. If the drone seems like it is not flying correctly, land immediately and then calibrate it.
2018-3-23
Use props
Marian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340597 ft

According to some new outlines, DJI has changed the manual and asked the user to calibrate the compass if you have traveled more than 10km from the last flight location.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 1&fromuid=23146

Personally, I would calibrate before you go on the boat and check if everything is working. It also gives you a peace of mind I guess.
2018-3-23
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft

That far away I would calibrate it but obviously not on the boat.
2018-3-23
Use props
ImTravis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

I would calibrate.. If anything what could it hurt? Then calibrate again when you get home.
2018-3-23
Use props
Acenspades
lvl.3
United States

why wouldn't you.  it really doesn't hurt to do a compass calibration
2018-3-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

100% calibrate it!
2018-3-23
Use props
nutsnbolts
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Yeah that's my thought to calibrate. I can't remember though whether it's IMU calibration or Compass calibration where you shouldn't always do because it can screw things up. But I think it's IMU calibration that I shouldn't really be doing everytime which makes sense.
2018-3-23
Use props
Jay W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 259462 ft
Singapore

I generally check my MP pointing direction in the map. If I move it around manually and it's pointing correctly, I don't do the calibration.
2018-3-23
Use props
nutsnbolts
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Jay W Posted at 2018-3-23 22:59
I generally check my MP pointing direction in the map. If I move it around manually and it's pointing correctly, I don't do the calibration.

Yeah, I heard this before. Obviously if something is wacky definitely re-calibrate and someone mentioned also that as a secondary precaution, check the minimap to make sure it's pointing in the right direction and as you have stated, if it looks good there, then I'm good to go.
2018-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules