Video and Photo Keep Overexposing with Pilot App? IOS
2678 14 2015-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

Hello everyone. Just got my app on IOS moving today and firmware updated and finally got the P3 pro into the air. I noticed that with every single shot and video they were overexposing horribly. Is anyone else dealing with this issue? The Vision 2 never did this in auto mode. I did try opening up manual setting but then if I close the manual settings panel on the pilot app everything goes back to auto. What am I doing wrong or is this not something on my end?

Any help appreciated. PS: I'm a full time photographer professionally so I understand how to expose my photos, adjust iso, and get the correct shutter. I just haven't figured out how to set manual settings without having that panel fill my screen half way and with auto it doesn't do that, yet auto keeps exposing to just the shadows and blows out everything else.

Thank you
2015-5-6
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

In Auto you can use the right knob to change the EV or you can open the manual settings and make the changes there then swipe to the left.  That will lock the settings.  You will see a small padlock.  Hope that helps.
2015-5-6
Use props
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-7 03:14
In Auto you can use the right knob to change the EV or you can open the manual settings and make the ...

Ok cool. I'll give that a shot here when the battery is done recharging in about 5 minutes
2015-5-6
Use props
jbrazda
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1781102 ft
United States

In Auto you can use the right knob to change the EV or you can open the manual settings and make the ...

Yes, but its doing this because that camera is using a center weighted metering.  It should be using the entire frame for metering like any other camera does.  This is something they need to fix.  We should have to constantly adjust the exposure.  The way they have it set up, even if you have both ground and sky in the photo, if you are pointed slighty more towards the sky, the ground is too dark, and if you are pointed slightly down, the sky is too bright.  changing the exposure comp, does't really help.  because you have to keep changing it based on where the center point is pointed at.  
2015-5-6
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

By putting your finger on the screen you can change the exposure point.
2015-5-6
Use props
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-7 03:28

I did this, but once I start moving it will just keep finding a shadow and adjusting to there and holding it. I was poking all over and getting no where. Was slightly frustrating. If I moved, I'd have to stop, poke, wait for it to adjust then move, get about 8 seconds of footage then it would mess up again. Obviously I can't hold my finger on the screen while controlling the P3
2015-5-6
Use props
t.katz
lvl.2

United States

jbrazda Posted at 2015-5-7 03:22
Yes, but its doing this because that camera is using a center weighted metering.  It should be usi ...

I agree it would be nice to have an option to select between the "standard" metering modes used on most cameras (full frame, centered, spot).  But for video I personally tend to use manual settings as grading a shot where the exposure is constantly changing is a pain.

I didn't see if there was an option or not, but when using manual settings it would be nice to be able to have the dial change the iso rather then the shutter speed.  I like to always use a 180 degree shutter (approx 2 x fps), and would rather be able to quickly change the iso then the shutter.
2015-5-6
Use props
neilkarunatilak
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

t.katz@me.com Posted at 2015-5-7 03:55
I agree it would be nice to have an option to select between the "standard" metering modes used on ...

On the controller, I think you can press down on the right dial and it will switch between shutter and ISO, then you can scroll the dial to select what you want.
2015-5-6
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

t.katz@me.com Posted at 2015-5-7 03:55
I agree it would be nice to have an option to select between the "standard" metering modes used on ...

I will send your request to DJI for consideration.
2015-5-6
Use props
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

This worked out perfectly! Thanks for the comment. For anyone wondering, just reference this and things should work no problem.

I hope that DJI updates the app to make it a bit more apparent with hiding the manual panel and then making the "lock" key to bring it back up a bit easier to see. It's super small (on my iphone 6+) but everything still worked perfectly as you described. Had a great flight with lots of awesome footage and photo.
2015-5-6
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jwhite@schillin Posted at 2015-5-7 05:10
This worked out perfectly! Thanks for the comment. For anyone wondering, just reference this and t ...

Cool that is now working for you.  Post some video or photos.  They would be appreciated.
2015-5-6
Use props
t.katz
lvl.2

United States

neilkarunatilak Posted at 2015-5-7 04:32
On the controller, I think you can press down on the right dial and it will switch between shutter ...

Ah ok, I'll give this a try tomorrow!
2015-5-6
Use props
donlam9x9
lvl.1
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-6 11:28

I have exactly the same issue.  When the sky is properly exposed, the ground is very dark or vice versa. This is a serious problem when panning. Constantly moving the metering tool does not provide an evenly exposed video because the video feed is delayed. Is there any way to speed up the auto exposure?
2015-12-13
Use props
donlam9x9
lvl.1
United States

jwhite@schillin Posted at 2015-5-6 11:30
I did this, but once I start moving it will just keep finding a shadow and adjusting to there and  ...

I have exactly the same problem, especially when panning. The video feed is delayed. Can't maintain line of sight of the drone while adjusting the video for even exposure.
2015-12-13
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

That is why it is best to have a dual operator system.  As far as I know there is no way to speed the Auto Exposure.  As far as delay, you are talking about 220ms.  That is not a lot unless your pans are rapid.
2015-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules