Mavic pro propellers hitting body of drone
6133 39 2018-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shivan 3
lvl.1

Trinidad and Tobago

Hi all,

My Mavic pro keeps crashing. When flying at high speed (sometmies not even in sport mode) I would hear the propellers scratching at the body of the drone. Yesterday when this started happing again, the drone started spinning out of control and then fell to the gound. I'm using the stock DJI peopellers. I'm planing on getting it repaired locally as my warrantly may be up by now. Do you guys have any idea to what i may need to change in order to fix this issue? My brother trimmed the areas of which the drone blades were hitting... I know, bad move. He's getting the new Mavic air so he gave me this one so now I'm stuck trying to figure out how to get it functional.

Regards,

2018-3-23
Use props
Shivan 3
lvl.1

Trinidad and Tobago

2018-3-23
Use props
Shivan 3
lvl.1

Trinidad and Tobago

2018-3-23
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Something is MAJORLY wrong with your AC. The prop should not cut into the main body at all! These are OEM/DJI/Genuine props, correct? Not an aftermarket clone/rip-off?
Do you feel any axial or rotational play in the motors? Are the props still intact, never gacked or crashed? Does the arm move "up and dow"  when you try to flex it gently?

Try Dis Guy:

If you need service to your DJI Mavic, I can help. I have bought, sold and repaired hundreds of Phantoms and Mavics and have every available spare OEM DJI replacement part for the Mavic both new and used.

I don't ask for any money up front, I will send you a Paypal invoice after you decide whether to fix it or not. Please make sure before you send it to me that your Paypal name and address information are up to date.

I charge $49 to give you an estimate of the damage. It will take 2-3 business days after I have received your Mavic to generate the estimate, and I will email you when the estimate is complete. The estimate is just that, I will determine what the error messages are and what physical damage is apparent, but if I find any additional things that need to be repaired after the estimate, I will let you know before I finish the repair and wont proceed until I get your approval.

My repair rate is $49 per hour or fraction thereof, and if you decide to repair it, the $49 estimate fee is applied to the repair. Before I send your Mavic back to you, I normally calibrate the IMU and controller and take it for a test flight of at least 3-5 minutes.

Turnaround time for the repair is 3-5 business days after you have accepted the estimate. After your repair is complete, I will contact you and let you know it’s done and send you a Paypal invoice. I accept Paypal only as payment, and my Paypal address is Thunderdrones@aol.com. I use USPS Insured Priority Mail as return shipping and I will bill you the cost of shipping along with the repair cost after it’s done.

If you decide to send me your Mavic for repair, Please include the following:

Mavic in it's original box, if possible.

Battery

Controller

SD card

Gimbal lock

Gimbal protective bubble

Before you send it in to me, please fill out the online repair request located at the following link:

Thunderdrones Mavic Repair Order

I don’t need any cables or charger. Please give me a tracking number after you have sent it in.

Please send your Mavic to me at:

Rob Schwartz

Thunderdrones

2615 Landington Way

Duluth, Georgia 30096

Tel (678) 763-4427

Thank you for your business.

Rob
Thunderdrones
2018-3-23
Use props
Shivan 3
lvl.1

Trinidad and Tobago

Flycaster Posted at 2018-3-23 10:19
Something is MAJORLY wrong with your AC. The prop should not cut into the main body at all! These are OEM/DJI/Genuine props, correct? Not an aftermarket clone/rip-off?
Do you feel any axial or rotational play in the motors? Are the props still intact, never gacked or crashed? Does the arm move "up and dow"  when you try to flex it gently?

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately where I live, shipping outside of the Caribbean is really expensive.. that's why I decided to do it locally.

I don't feel any axial or rotational play in the motors. The props are new also. I was hoping that this was an issue that others may have also experienced so that I can get more of a second opinion before commencing repairs.
2018-3-23
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Damn that is a seriously defective drone, did somebody stand/sit on it! The left hand side of the drone is seriously bent/twisted.
2018-3-23
Use props
Shivan 3
lvl.1

Trinidad and Tobago

M2Wair Posted at 2018-3-23 11:17
Damn that is a seriously defective drone, did somebody stand/sit on it! The left hand side of the drone is seriously bent/twisted.

No, the front arm got damaged during the fall. I'm thinking about changing out the entire shell as well as changing out the arms. I'm hoping the guy I go by to repair can delve deeper into what's causing the props to hit the body.
2018-3-23
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Do the other blade/arms "track" at the same angle? Not front to back, there is a differential angle in design front from the rear prop angle.
The left front prop track the same as the right front prop? and same for the rears?
Either something is bent/flexing to cut into the body, or over extending, or the props are not right....

There is a dji service center in Costa Rica, closest to you? Or Puerto Rico?
2018-3-23
Use props
Shivan 3
lvl.1

Trinidad and Tobago

Flycaster Posted at 2018-3-23 11:20
Do the other blade/arms "track" at the same angle? Not front to back, there is a differential angle in design front from the rear prop angle.
The left front prop track the same as the right front prop? and same for the rears?
Either something is bent/flexing to cut into the body, or over extending, or the props are not right....

They look as though they have the same angle. I'll try ordering props from DJI store and see if it makes a difference. Could it be that something is wrong with the arm?

The back left arm however can be pushed up as the tiny lid which stops it from going higher than the original height was trimmed off.
2018-3-23
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

it seems either the motor is misaligned or the arm maybe bent slightly, possibly either from a crash or someone stood on it. it might have been better to cut the props a bit shorter than to cut the body but anyway how to fix? i would suggest an entire new leg with new motor and a new body/frame. at least get those holes covered to prevent foreign objects falling in.
2018-3-23
Use props
Shivan 3
lvl.1

Trinidad and Tobago

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-3-23 12:30
it seems either the motor is misaligned or the arm maybe bent slightly, possibly either from a crash or someone stood on it. it might have been better to cut the props a bit shorter than to cut the body but anyway how to fix? i would suggest an entire new leg with new motor and a new body/frame. at least get those holes covered to prevent foreign objects falling in.

Thank you very much for your reply. I agree, the blades should have been cut rather than the shell. Where do you recommend that I order these parts?
2018-3-23
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Shivan 3 Posted at 2018-3-23 12:37
Thank you very much for your reply. I agree, the blades should have been cut rather than the shell. Where do you recommend that I order these parts?

These guys stock them and have them in stock. very fast to dispatch. Pay by paypal so simple.

http://www.radiocontrolledshop.i ... ji+mavic&results=49
2018-3-23
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Shivan 3 Posted at 2018-3-23 12:37

i would recomend you get then from who ever you can find who will send it to you. in south africa i cannot get items from some companies because they do not post to here so i end up looking for places that do post to here and invariably end up paying premium:-(
My best recomendation though would be for you to bite the postage cost bullet and get it to a professional repair person.
They will have the unique tools required and the know how to deal with things like ribbon cables and proper rebuilds ect.
If you were just replacing the arm i would say give it a try but swopping out circuits ect should be done by pros.
Otherwise try to get just an arm and try to replace that and fix the body with duct tape and see if that works.
I wish you luck on the repair
2018-3-23
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I disagree.  The props should not have been trimmed.  NOTHING should have been trimmed.  This thing is obviously seriously crashed and damaged.  You shouldn't treat the symptoms.  Treat the problem instead.  Fix it right.  I suspect the arm axis has been damaged, similar to one previously posted.  If I understand what you wrote, the arm will move up and down more now that the body has been trimmed giving it clearance.  This is wrong.  The arm should not move at all, other than to rotate back for storage.  The same for the rear ones that flip downward and forward.  All of the joints should be tight, no play/slack.
2018-3-23
Use props
Shivan 3
lvl.1

Trinidad and Tobago

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-3-23 13:29
i would recomend you get then from who ever you can find who will send it to you. in south africa i cannot get items from some companies because they do not post to here so i end up looking for places that do post to here and invariably end up paying premium:-(
My best recomendation though would be for you to bite the postage cost bullet and get it to a professional repair person.
They will have the unique tools required and the know how to deal with things like ribbon cables and proper rebuilds ect.

I will indeed go by a professional. Thank you for your kind support
2018-3-23
Use props
Shivan 3
lvl.1

Trinidad and Tobago

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-3-23 13:41
I disagree.  The props should not have been trimmed.  NOTHING should have been trimmed.  This thing is obviously seriously crashed and damaged.  You shouldn't treat the symptoms.  Treat the problem instead.  Fix it right.  I suspect the arm axis has been damaged, similar to one previously posted.  If I understand what you wrote, the arm will move up and down more now that the body has been trimmed giving it clearance.  This is wrong.  The arm should not move at all, other than to rotate back for storage.  The same for the rear ones that flip downward and forward.  All of the joints should be tight, no play/slack.

Indeed nothing should have been trimmed. My brother is a bit weird... there is a play on the back arms and I would look into changing out all arms as well as the shell so everything is intact. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
2018-3-23
Use props
Time2Party
Second Officer
Flight distance : 169314 ft
Belgium

I have the same problem, see this picture of my MP.

2018-3-23
Use props
Shivan 3
lvl.1

Trinidad and Tobago

Time2Party Posted at 2018-3-23 14:28

[view_image]

Wow, is the same thing.. I”m going today to have it checked out. I will update with what Technician has to say.
2018-3-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looking at those pics I would say that the drone has simply had it's day and it no longer fit for purpose. It would be a serious risk flying that. Send it out for a serious repair or better still sell as spare parts and use the money to put towards buying a new one.
2018-3-24
Use props
Shivan 3
lvl.1

Trinidad and Tobago

A CW Posted at 2018-3-24 13:45
Looking at those pics I would say that the drone has simply had it's day and it no longer fit for purpose. It would be a serious risk flying that. Send it out for a serious repair or better still sell as spare parts and use the money to put towards buying a new one.

So far it seems that changing out the entire shell together with its arms are still way cheaper that purchasing a new one. On eBay I was able to get full shell and 4 arms for 140US.
2018-3-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Shivan 3 Posted at 2018-3-24 14:54
So far it seems that changing out the entire shell together with its arms are still way cheaper that purchasing a new one. On eBay I was able to get full shell and 4 arms for 140US.

Glad you've got it covered.
2018-3-24
Use props
Time2Party
Second Officer
Belgium

A CW Posted at 2018-3-24 13:45
Looking at those pics I would say that the drone has simply had it's day and it no longer fit for purpose. It would be a serious risk flying that. Send it out for a serious repair or better still sell as spare parts and use the money to put towards buying a new one.

I have buy a new upper shell on Amazone.
On my drone it’s not a big problem, just this corner, no idea about how it came off.
Did not hit anything, only thing a can think of is hitting by the prob, little damage on the prop.
2018-3-25
Use props
Time2Party
Second Officer
Belgium

Shivan 3 Posted at 2018-3-24 08:45
Wow, is the same thing.. I”m going today to have it checked out. I will update with what Technician has to say.

I have buy a new upper shell on Amazone.
2018-3-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Time2Party Posted at 2018-3-25 00:51
I have buy a new upper shell on Amazone.
On my drone it’s not a big problem, just this corner, no idea about how it came off.
Did not hit anything, only thing a can think of is hitting by the prob, little damage on the prop.

Arm the motors when on the ground for a minute before taking off and see if it still catches.
2018-3-25
Use props
Time2Party
Second Officer
Belgium

A CW Posted at 2018-3-25 00:53
Arm the motors when on the ground for a minute before taking off and see if it still catches.

No, on the ground they never touch the shell.
This is the strange part of it.
No idea what happens in the air.
2018-3-25
Use props
Shivan 3
lvl.1

Trinidad and Tobago

Time2Party Posted at 2018-3-25 06:16
No, on the ground they never touch the shell.
This is the change part of it.
No idea what happens in the air.

Yes, same thing happens to me. When taking sharp corners as well the props would hit the shell.
2018-3-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Shivan, I feel sorry for this. Please do not trim the propellers. Please try to change another prop or switch the prop on the diagonal line to see if the body will be hit. Since the drone was crashed, I suggest sending the drone in for repair. Please contact our support on the following page to start a case: http://www.dji.com/support
2018-3-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Time2Party Posted at 2018-3-23 14:28

[view_image]

Just to verify, you used the genuine DJI props, right? Did the drone crash before? Please also send the drone in for repair for this case since we don't recommend self-repairing. Please contact our support on the following page to start a case: http://www.dji.com/support
2018-3-25
Use props
Time2Party
Second Officer
Belgium

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-3-25 18:52
Just to verify, you used the genuine DJI props, right? Did the drone crash before? Please also send the drone in for repair for this case since we don't recommend self-repairing. Please contact our support on the following page to start a case: http://www.dji.com/support

DJI Thor, Yes i use the Original props that came with the MP, and never have been a crash.
2018-3-25
Use props
Time2Party
Second Officer
Belgium

Shivan 3 Posted at 2018-3-25 16:01
Yes, same thing happens to me. When taking sharp corners as well the props would hit the shell.

Idd, not normal.
2018-3-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Time2Party Posted at 2018-3-25 23:39
DJI Thor, Yes i use the Original props that came with the MP, and never have been a crash.

Could you please provide me with your drone's serial number?
2018-3-26
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hope you are not trying to fly this thing! Crazy!
2018-3-26
Use props
Shivan 3
lvl.1

Trinidad and Tobago

I spoke to a local technician yesterday and he said that the front arms are not exactly where it should be. During the crash my brother initially had, the shell may have been damaged on the inside, allowing the props to extend further forward than usual. I've ordered a replacement shell (Just the upper and middle shell) to replace the current one. I may take some time to post an update as packages usually take 1-2 weeks before arriving in the Caribbean.  
2018-3-26
Use props
Shivan 3
lvl.1

Trinidad and Tobago

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-3-26 02:48
I hope ypou are not trying to fly this thing! Crazy!

Definitely not lol
2018-3-26
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>

Shivan 3 Posted at 2018-3-26 04:45
I spoke to a local technician yesterday and he said that the front arms are not exactly where it should be. During the crash my brother initially had, the shell may have been damaged on the inside, allowing the props to extend further forward than usual. I've ordered a replacement shell (Just the upper and middle shell) to replace the current one. I may take some time to post an update as packages usually take 1-2 weeks before arriving in the Caribbean.

Find someone who can solder, you will need a good quality iron to swap the case and replace the arms. Trimming the case would make the situation worse as it removes rigidity from the mid case. Good luck with the repair, I have repaired much worse back to a healthy (safe) condition.
2018-3-26
Use props
Shivan 3
lvl.1

Trinidad and Tobago

Buzzyone Posted at 2018-3-26 22:17
Find someone who can solder, you will need a good quality iron to swap the case and replace the arms. Trimming the case would make the situation worse as it removes rigidity from the mid case. Good luck with the repair, I have repaired much worse back to a healthy (safe) condition.

Thank you, when checking up on Mavic repairs most sites went into detail of how important it is to have a high quality solder as one that takes to long to break the solder can damage the board.
2018-3-27
Use props
Time2Party
Second Officer
Belgium

Shivan 3 Posted at 2018-3-26 04:45
I spoke to a local technician yesterday and he said that the front arms are not exactly where it should be. During the crash my brother initially had, the shell may have been damaged on the inside, allowing the props to extend further forward than usual. I've ordered a replacement shell (Just the upper and middle shell) to replace the current one. I may take some time to post an update as packages usually take 1-2 weeks before arriving in the Caribbean.

In my case the arms are in correct place and the drone did not have any crash.
So it’s only the little piece of the corner how is missing.
Replace the upper shell and the prop that hit this corner in my case its ready to go again.

Bat I never know how it happened.
2018-3-28
Use props
Time2Party
Second Officer
Belgium

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-3-26 00:28
Could you please provide me with your drone's serial number?

DJI Thor, no need for bat thanks.
2018-3-28
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Always do an IMU calibration after a crash/hit , even if it fells up side down due to wind.
2018-3-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Time2Party Posted at 2018-3-28 00:14
DJI Thor, no need for bat thanks.

Alright, however, for the safety concern, please take good care of it, or send the drone in if needed.
2018-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules