Compass orientation
1690 23 2018-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_IoQAkX8yFAA2
lvl.1
Germany

When the compass is calibrated and it shows the compass arrow on the screen is it orientated to the north, west, south, and east polls or is it oriented to the direction the aircraft is to the controller?

Jim

2018-3-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There is no compass arrow on the screen.
Perhaps you are looking at the radar display.
It has a red paper plane icon that shows which way the Phantom is pointing.
2018-3-23
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Adding to Labroides post:
You want to keep that paper plane always at 12 o' clock.
In case you loose sight of your drone you know at least your antennas are facing it.
2018-3-23
Use props
djiuser_IoQAkX8yFAA2
lvl.1
Germany

So what you are saying is the paper plane is oriented to the controller. If the paper plane is pointing to 12 O'clock, the front of the plane is pointing away from the controller. If it is pointing to 6 O'Clock the front of the plane is pointing to the controller. is that correct?
2018-3-23
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>

djiuser_IoQAkX8yFAA2 Posted at 2018-3-23 13:52
So what you are saying is the paper plane is oriented to the controller. If the paper plane is pointing to 12 O'clock, the front of the plane is pointing away from the controller. If it is pointing to 6 O'Clock the front of the plane is pointing to the controller. is that correct?

When the paper plane is at 12 you are facing with your remote directly the drone.
It doesn't matter which way the drone is orientated/turned. Means: If it is looking at you or away from you.
When the paper plane is at 6 the drone is in your back = worst signal scenario.

Schönen Abend noch!
2018-3-23
Use props
djiuser_IoQAkX8yFAA2
lvl.1
Germany

Danke, aber mein deautsch is schlect.
2018-3-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Home point is the centre of the radar display.
You can see which way the Phantom is oriented relative to the home point.
2018-3-23
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft

I don't dispute what others have said but I have always found the arrow is facing the same way as the nose of the drone. If you fly away from yourself and then turn around and come back, the arrow will initially point away from you as the drone moves further away but when you turn to come home, the arrow will turn to face home.
I use it frequently because when the drone is only a couple of hundred metres from me. it is still line of sight but unless I look at the arrow, I can't physically see which way it is facing. I try to keep aware of which direction I am flying but at a distance, it is not always easy to see if, when you turn to come back, that you have rotated correctly, not enough or too much.
2018-3-23
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use the map if needed, its very easy, green line is the way you came, thats generally from home point, unless ya turned left at the lights 10 seconds ago ;)  you can work the rest from there...

Wow, just wow...... peddling aside, lets be more realistic, your image shows a drone at a stones throw away, put that in the real world at say 1300ft away and any and all colours turn black no matter what.

Now, if the drone is still in VLOS as per the image above, the simplest way is to right stick forward a little, if it pulls to the left, give a little left stick left, it will turn towards you, once it pretty much stops turning left, let go of the sticks, it should now be pointing you,  if it pulls to the right, give it a little left stick right, again, keep turning right until it pretty much stops turning right, and again, it should now be facing you.

To sum up, give forward motion, if it heads to the left, turn left, heads to the right, turn right, if it appears stationary, then its either facing forward or backward, apply one of the turns to to face you.
2018-3-23
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Phantomrain.org 1 Posted at 2018-3-23 20:30
The orientation of the drone is an ongoing problem for many,     Trying to rely on the radar and Arrow icon is not easy but some manage it .      We found the the two best ways are to add a second color to the drone  such as Red and Black using the neoprene covers or adding a light bar to one side of the drone.     The other way is to use the Return to home  for a few moments to get orientation and than cancel out of it.

The problem with return to home is you do have to allow it to go to your set height limit where as  just being able to see the different colors of the drone  or light bar is much easier.   

DJI Forum Rules and Regulations

VI: Advertising Services and Solicitation

... We  do not allow people to post threads or to send any private messages or emails to users that advertise any products, services, funds or donations. This includes anything that may compete with any items on the official DJI Store, DJI products or not ...
... Explicit advertising and soliciting in signatures is prohibited ...

2018-3-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

The orientation of the drone is an ongoing problem for many,     Trying to rely on the radar and Arrow icon is not easy but some manage it .      We found the the two best ways are to add a second color to the drone  such as Red and Black using the neoprene covers or adding a light bar to one side of the drone.     The other way is to use the Return to home  for a few moments to get orientation and than cancel out of it.

The problem with return to home is you do have to allow it to go to your set height limit where as  just being able to see the different colors of the drone  or light bar is much easier.   

Trying to rely on the radar and Arrow icon is not easy but some manage it .   
Not easy?    Really?

You only need to play with it for a minute or two and it should all make sense.
When the red paper plane is pointing to you (in the centre) the drone is also pointing to you.
When the icon is pointing left, the drone is pointing to your left etc.
I can't think of anything much easier than using the radar display.

The problem with return to home is you do have to allow it to go to your set height limit.

If you've set an inappropriate RTH height and RTH would involve an unnecessary climb, all you have to do it push the left stick soon after initiating RTH and the climb will stop.

2018-3-23
Use props
fansb1fe1104
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3372566 ft

You are not going to see any colors beyond a few hundred feet. When my drone is even 500 feet away it only looks like a tiny speck. One option, besides RTH (If the arrow pointing which way the drone is facing is too complicated for you) you can turn on homelock and then pressing the right stick down will bring it straight back to you.
2018-3-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Jim, you may have a better understanding of the attitude indicator from this tutorial video:
2018-3-23
Use props
djiuser_IoQAkX8yFAA2
lvl.1
Germany

I really want to thank everyone for their feedback. It has really helped

Jim
2018-3-24
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft

djiuser_IoQAkX8yFAA2 Posted at 2018-3-24 14:27
I really want to thank everyone for their feedback. It has really helped

Jim

One thing I forgot to mention before is that on the outer circle of the radar you will find somewhere around the perimeter, a small circle containing the letter N. This is the direction that North is in.
2018-3-24
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>

Phantomrain.org 1 Posted at 2018-3-26 15:53
Sorry about that I did not think contributing to the Topic at hand was against the Rules.  

Being that you are an ADMINISTRATOR  we will certainly listen to you...

On each thread you are responding to you are promoting your stupid wet suites.
Try it at facebook/ebay or wherever you can find dumb believers.
Currently the Flat Earthers may be a target audience for you.
2018-3-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Phantomrain.org 1 Posted at 2018-3-26 15:36
Jim is the one who asked the question and I know it easy to simply everything  with Really and are you sure and if it was so easy why the question ?

The other thing is not everyone is just flying the drone, they are in sport mode , they are filming, they are watching the drone, there is sun on the controller , there is rain on the controller , there is snow, the  is high winds,  

Jim is the one who asked the question and I know it easy to simply everything  with Really and are you sure and if it was so easy why the question ?
You are the one that said it's difficult to use the radar display.
Yes, I'm sure it's easy.

So your trying to make this guy that asked the question look bad , and why ?
Were all trying to offer the not so obvious,  not so simple.  and than there is you trying to belittle everyone ,  Congrats.

No, I was offering the OP appropriate assistance and accurate information.
But if you like I'll point out that your comments makes you look inept.
The radar display is very, very simple to use despite your ideas about it.
2018-3-26
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Phantomrain.org 1 Posted at 2018-3-26 15:53
Sorry about that I did not think contributing to the Topic at hand was against the Rules.  

Being that you are an ADMINISTRATOR  we will certainly listen to you...

What makes you think I'm a forum administrator? I'm not. That's why your reply is still here. I'm just hoping you'll respect the rules and play fair. That's all.
2018-3-26
Use props
Fly_Safe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2557566 ft
Switzerland

djiuser_IoQAkX8yFAA2 Posted at 2018-3-23 14:07
Danke, aber mein deautsch is schlect.

Hallo and Tach auch

Schau mal hier - ganz toll erklärt
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gKO643mHla4
2018-3-26
Use props
FarmerMac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1215079 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Phantomrain.org 1 Posted at 2018-3-26 15:36
Jim is the one who asked the question and I know it easy to simply everything  with Really and are you sure and if it was so easy why the question ?

The other thing is not everyone is just flying the drone, they are in sport mode , they are filming, they are watching the drone, there is sun on the controller , there is rain on the controller , there is snow, the  is high winds,  

Labroides actually tries to help Jim by encouraging him to find some of his answers himself. Then he tells him how to use the arrow icon and RTH height.
Labroides have an intention to help unlike you. You try to sell your products which violates the rules.
The only thing you get from trying to sell your products in this way is that people get irritated to you. That way you do not sell anything.
2018-3-26
Use props
andy10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4585692 ft
  • >>>
Slovenia

OK, back to the question. There are two types of *radar* windows bottom left in DJI GO4. First one is a square with map, second is round black circle divided in black and blue areas for virtual horizon. In the middle (if the craft is near to you) should be the red arrow with a green beam in front. This is showing where the aircraft is facing to. So always when the craft is facing to the central point it is facing to you or to HP more exactly.
At the square map display there is a green line stretching from the arrow symbol which is your drone to somewhere out of the border of the map (if the HP is out of the map area). This line shows the direction where the HP is. So you must just fly in the direction of this line and you'll get to the HP. The both types of 'radar' windows show the same just in different way.  
2019-5-12
Use props
fansb1fe1104
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 2018-3-23 22:33
You are not going to see any colors beyond a few hundred feet. When my drone is even 500 feet away it only looks like a tiny speck. One option, besides RTH (If the arrow pointing which way the drone is facing is too complicated for you) you can turn on homelock and then pressing the right stick down will bring it straight back to you.

I think you have that backwards. When Homelock is activated pressing the right stick upward will bring it home no matter which way the drone is facing. Pushing down on the stick would push the drone further from the homepoint.
2019-5-12
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-3-23 19:56
I don't dispute what others have said but I have always found the arrow is facing the same way as the nose of the drone. If you fly away from yourself and then turn around and come back, the arrow will initially point away from you as the drone moves further away but when you turn to come home, the arrow will turn to face home.
I use it frequently because when the drone is only a couple of hundred metres from me. it is still line of sight but unless I look at the arrow, I can't physically see which way it is facing. I try to keep aware of which direction I am flying but at a distance, it is not always easy to see if, when you turn to come back, that you have rotated correctly, not enough or too much.

I am with you there !
2019-5-13
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United Kingdom

Ignoring the 'sales pitch' and the rough of some posters ... L has it sewn up ...

Arrow pointing to centre - its facing home ... small movements are enough to change that arrow to orientate to get home.

N, S, E, W really has more relevance when you have MAP displayed instead of video relay ... then of course as another says - you have the tracks and 'Home Line' displayed.

2019-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules