Is there a way to turn off beeps during firmware updates?
7653 17 2015-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BInspireD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 205955 ft
Netherlands

The WAF* is starting to lower every time there is a firmware update, during almost 2 hours of updating my remote, the bird and 3 battery's the machines beep like there is an emergency...

I would love to silence this procedure, anyone knows how to do this?

If impossible, wouldn't it be great if the Inspire would "talk" with lights?

I think the LED's could do more, for example: Updating is blinking orange. Updating failed is continuous red. Update succesfully completed is continuous green. No need for irritating Bleep-BleepBleep---Bleep----bleepblbleep-bleeeeeeeeep-blep-bleeeep--bleep and trying to understand if it is still updating or has finished the firmware update.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this one.

*= Wife Acceptance Factor

2015-5-6
Use props
Theo ter Haar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20730951 ft
Netherlands

Same problem here! My WAF-factor is reduced to 10 min.
My patience is lost after 0,5 h. I put mine in the barn 20 m. away (that helps).
We have to fabricate our own soundproof box around it i presume
2015-5-6
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I doubt it as its as its part of the current update coding. However its a lovely idea and would get the thumbs up from me.
2015-5-6
Use props
hcpilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33763 ft
United States

Man its hard to please you people!!!!! lol Always find something to complain about!!!! lol
2015-5-6
Use props
BInspireD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 205955 ft
Netherlands

hcpilot@cox.net Posted at 2015-5-7 04:35
Man its hard to please you people!!!!! lol Always find something to complain about!!!! lol

No complaints. Free advice to make the craft easier to use.

And to be honest, do you actually think someone understands the beeping process? {:3_57:} It sounds like R2D2

I work in software and really don't know how this made it through beta testing without someone wondering if they could use the LED's for a more convenient user experience.

I thought one of my TB48's was bricked during update, but at the store they found out I stopped the firmware update on the last battery to soon so it wasn't updated completely. Waiting for hours and draining the entire battery to be sure the firmware bleeps meant it was ready...

I'm sure a lot of updating trouble could be prevented by a 100% user friendly and logical updating process.
2015-5-6
Use props
cziakas
lvl.3

United States

Newbie here... I'm going to receive my bird this weekend and I have to say I agree with most of you about the beeps. I've read the manuals twice now and watched countless firmware upgrade videos. Forget hours of beeping, minutes would drive me insane .

Similar to BIsprireD, I'm in IS\IT and can tell you from experience, that many loud beeps will just force users to find a way to hide it in a barn, under blankets, in a closet, etc.  I also don't think turning them all the way off is the best solution either. A Volume control and adjustable frequency of beeps would be helpful. This way DJI Customers (DJI, this is your customer speaking...hint..hint) could have control on what works best for them. Forcing customers to have workarounds is a lose lose situation for everyone.

I know!!!!! Customizable Ring Tones!!  When done charging you hear.."May the force be with you"
2015-5-6
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

hcpilot@cox.net Posted at 2015-5-7 04:35

I would have agreed with you until my Inspire failed to update six times in a row...let me tell you 3 hours of beep beep beep beep will get on your nerves!  Especially when it is followed by one looooong beep at the end....
2015-5-6
Use props
woodielb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 78061552 ft
United States

That's really interesting mine doesn't beep at all just does a very low frequency DDDD, DDDD, DDDD, then D.....DD,  you have to listen close to hear it.
Phonetically, like a Duh Duh Duh Duh, Duh Duh Duh Duh, Duh Duh Duh Duh, then Duh..........Duh Duh. But very quiet & low pitch.
2015-5-6
Use props
insectorchid3
lvl.2

United States

yes mine is very quiet as well it is hard to hear over my gf cooking in the kitchen. The rc on the other hand is a loud beep
2015-5-7
Use props
talenter
lvl.3
Flight distance : 125164 ft
Norway

Almost two hours to update? It never took me more than 15 minutes! The last upgrade for the remote was done in under ten minutes!
2015-5-7
Use props
enkhome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 273038 ft
Netherlands

In my opinion a none issue and not agree, nothing wrong with this procedure and the beeps are also not that loud.
2015-5-7
Use props
chrispop
New

United States

Decibel meter shows the remote controller update beeping between 65-70 decibels. For those that think this is "quiet," I refer you to a study done by Purdue. It's not quite garbage-disposal level but it is equal to the sound of a 65 mph passing car, jet overhead or vacuum cleaner. Why is it so hard to put a simple "sound-off" button some place?

https://www.chem.purdue.edu/chem ... ETrain/dblevels.htm
2016-9-1
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

woodielb@xmissi Posted at 2015-5-7 03:57
That's really interesting mine doesn't beep at all just does a very low frequency DDDD, DDDD, DDDD,  ...

How does that go again?
2016-9-1
Use props
vincentlublink
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26170253 ft
  • >>>

put some earplugs
2016-9-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The firmware beeps are pretty quiet, it's the powering on that used to get mew in trouble. My ex hating that sound especially since I was always tinkering when she was sleeping
2016-9-7
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-7 13:15
The firmware beeps are pretty quiet, it's the powering on that used to get mew in trouble. My ex h ...

There is nothing worse than tinkering with your thing  while the wife is sleeping................

LOL

donnie
2016-9-7
Use props
Chris G
lvl.1

Canada

The beeping or buzzing is an issue, but what is more puzzling is the varying times people quote for upgrades.
I've upgraded several inspire 1 Batteries, Craft and remotes and the buzz or beeping signals do not appear to be correct. (Or I can't tell them apart after 5 minutes)
I agree, and Inspire upgrade shouldn't take more than 15 minutes, I've restarted an inspire after 15 minutes and it was always done, regardless of the beep/buzz signal.
I originally thought it was just my hearing, but now I'm not so sure. I know a slower SD card will take longer, but I'm always using class 10 or better, so I haven't taken more than 15 minutes for an inspire.
I will need to listen and match up the beep signal to what DJI specifies, so I can confirm i'm not confused, on my next upgrade.

I'd prefer a visual indicator rather than a beep/buzz sound.
2016-9-7
Use props
Dogfart
New

United States

Funny, everyone is quick to add a comment about how they feel about the issues but nary an answer.  The length of time an update takes probably has a lot to do with the speed of the SD card itself.  Faster card=faster update.  A faster card also improves recording speed and efficiency.  I don't know what the bus speed of the bird is but there could a ceiling or limitation where, even faster cards are limited to the bus speed.

The length of time probably has something to also do with the prior version you're using.  If you're on top of updates, the next step or version isn't so large and doesn't take so much time.  If you're going from V.0001.000 then it might take a while.

Regarding the noisy beep...maybe some people don't get the loud beep.  Mine has two levels of beep.  Sometimes it's so loud that I put it int he garage and I can still hear it. Sometimes, like now, it shifted from the loud beep to the quiet one.  But then I had an initial failure with he firmware update.

Well meaning forum members, if you can help with an answer to disabling the loud beep then your response is welcome. :-)
2016-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules