Lost drone after firmware update
2304 29 2018-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc4e82850
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20823 ft
United Kingdom

I updated my Air with the latest firmware today. On the first flight I flew straight updwards and the drone started to drift to the left. I tried to turn it round (2 seconds on the sticks) and it continued. I then took my hands off the sticks and pressed return to home. The drone neither hovered or started return to home. It then continued out of sight and was lost in an area of bushes/trees after picking up speed. The drone reported attitude, turned off the sensors then hit something.
The whole thing took about 10 seconds and the majority of the time there was no sideways motion from the sticks. It was pretty much hands off.

Previously the drone has been completely steady even in windy conditions. Today there was no wind at all. The only thing I can think that has changed is I have applied the new update. Has DJI got the ability to check the flight logs in this circumstance and would they replace under DJI Care.

2018-3-24
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

In order to use DJI Care, you'll need to locate your drone.
2018-3-24
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13438648 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Sorry you lost your drone, that's really sad. Have you tried the "find my drone" on the Go4 app? it should give the last location of the drone before losing signal or power.
2018-3-24
Use props
fansc4e82850
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 2018-3-24 11:33
Sorry you lost your drone, that's really sad. Have you tried the "find my drone" on the Go4 app? it should give the last location of the drone before losing signal or power.

Yes, I can see the location but cannot find the drone in the area.
2018-3-24
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like it went into ATTI mode.  Try uploading your log from your phone to the following site and post the resulting URL here and you'll probably get several people to help you try to identify a search area.  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-3-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-3-24 13:14
Sounds like it went into ATTI mode.  Try uploading your log from your phone to the following site and post the resulting URL here and you'll probably get several people to help you try to identify a search area.  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

I agree, very much sounds like ATTI.
2018-3-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

I would encourage you to follow the advice above and share your flightrecord. It might explain the cause (which is most likely unrelated to the firmware update) and some experienced people on here like Kloo Gee and others will be able to tell you a pretty precise location to search.
2018-3-24
Use props
fansc4e82850
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-24 13:17
I agree, very much sounds like ATTI.

Hi,

the log is here. It did have a GPS error initially and wouldn't go about 5 metres. It then found the home point and seemed fine.

How accurate do you think the location and flight path is?

I'll revisit the area again tomorrow morning.

Thanks!
2018-3-24
Use props
fansc4e82850
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fansc4e82850 Posted at 2018-3-24 13:59
Hi,

the log is here. It did have a GPS error initially and wouldn't go about 5 metres. It then found the home point and seemed fine.

Hi,

It does sound like ATTI from the descriptions you have given and the fact that I initially had NO GPS and take off was in OPTi mode. If you look at the screenshot from the point it started drifting it shows GPS.
2018-3-24
Use props
Stevom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 19245 ft

So you’re flying in a class D area? (Edit: you’re flying in the controller airspace of Manchester airport) Then your home point gets set 17ft away from you? (Because you don’t have enough satellites) And you’re flying in a built up area..........personally I always wait until homepoint is set before taking off.

Please read the UK laws. Especially the one about take off distance to houses.........and airports.
2018-3-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fansc4e82850 Posted at 2018-3-24 14:17
Hi,

It does sound like ATTI from the descriptions you have given and the fact that I initially had NO GPS and take off was in OPTi mode. If you look at the screenshot from the point it started drifting it shows GPS. [view_image]

It doesn’t report Atti mode in your log but satellites were low so gps weak, certainly looks like Aircraft took off of its own accord, you can see speeds of 52mph and almost no controls being touched.
Your starting point should be at last known coordinates, but how far it went after that it’s almost impossible to say , best chance you have of finding it is if it crashed into a tree close to end of flight log.
2018-3-24
Use props
fansc4e82850
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks all - I think I have my explanation.
2018-3-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fansc4e82850 Posted at 2018-3-24 15:27
Thanks all - I think I have my explanation.

Your coordinates.

53.36732816        -2.1078199
2018-3-24
Use props
fansc4e82850
lvl.2
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-24 15:30
Your coordinates.

53.36732816        -2.1078199

thanks, fingers crossed it will show up.
2018-3-24
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fansc4e82850 Posted at 2018-3-24 15:37
thanks, fingers crossed it will show up.

Did you contact our support and start a case? If not , please enter the link and start one: http://www.dji.com/support Please provide them the flight log for further check. Thanks for your support.
2018-3-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Can it be that there was strong wind?
2018-3-24
Use props
fansc4e82850
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-24 23:01
Can it be that there was strong wind?

Hi,

Wind on the ground was really minimal, there were no warnings and the drone didn't get very high. I don't think this was the issue. Will go to look again for it later. If I get it back I'll be a lot more careful with it in the future!

Thanks

Simon
2018-3-24
Use props
fansc4e82850
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-24 22:59
Did you contact our support and start a case? If not , please enter the link and start one: http://www.dji.com/support Please provide them the flight log for further check. Thanks for your support.

I sent an email. The chat is down until tomorrow.
2018-3-24
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13438648 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

fansc4e82850 Posted at 2018-3-24 13:09
Yes, I can see the location but cannot find the drone in the area.

Look carefully must be stuck in a tree or something. Instead of looking down look up
2018-3-24
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fansc4e82850 Posted at 2018-3-24 23:08
I sent an email. The chat is down until tomorrow.

If you have doubt in our case, please provide us the case number for further check. Thanks for your support.
2018-3-25
Use props
fansc4e82850
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-25 02:46
If you have doubt in our case, please provide us the case number for further check. Thanks for your support.

Found it - it was buried under some leaves about 20 metres along the flight path from the last recorded location. The fact that it was buried made it harder to find but seem to have protected it from the evening's rain. Not flown it yet but it all turns on ok and just needed sensor calibration.

Thanks for all of the advice - I've learnt about 15 lessons here.
2018-3-25
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

fansc4e82850 Posted at 2018-3-25 22:34
Found it - it was buried under some leaves about 20 metres along the flight path from the last recorded location. The fact that it was buried made it harder to find but seem to have protected it from the evening's rain. Not flown it yet but it all turns on ok and just needed sensor calibration.

That's great to hear!  You get to fly another day
2018-3-26
Use props
Rawsome
Second Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

By the looks of it you must have tons of lovely locations around you to take the bird out. Just stay away from houses, airports and such. When taking off, wait for a good satellite connection, at least 12 (correct me if im wrong)
Happy flying
2018-3-26
Use props
Kevjones1959
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61932 ft

South Africa

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/mavic-air-fly-away.37558/  Please go and read this thread. There seems to be a lot of similarity between your experience and this.
2018-3-26
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Delighted there was a positive result to this, good news indeed. Happy flying in future and my advice wait until you hear "Your home point has been recorded, please check it on the map" if you don't hear it from the app, don't take off. Ensure your RTH has been set right and go and watch as many tutorials as you can, make notes as it will help retaining information. last but not least, welcome to the Air club.
2018-3-26
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Surprised people promptly hit RTH when the drone goes into ATTI mode or has navigation problems.  How do they expect RTH to work?  

Another poster had the drone lose GPS, start to drift away, and the pilot reacted by pressing RTH about a hundred times on both the controller and the app.  He never touched the flight sticks as the drone left him.
2018-3-26
Use props
Kevjones1959
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61932 ft

South Africa

One of the biggest problems with novice pilots is their lack of pre flight and pre take off routines. Some people kind of forget that this aircraft is slightly more than a toy and is capable of flying many kilometers on a single battery at over 60mph. This is no longer a toy at all. It is in your own interest to develop a pre flight check and pre TAKE OFF check. There are many many best practice examples but if you dont want to use them at least get your own routine going. You will become a better safer pilot, novices will follow your lead and the whole sport will get better. I am really glad you found your aircraft man. Good flying and be safe.
2018-3-26
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fansc4e82850 Posted at 2018-3-25 22:34
Found it - it was buried under some leaves about 20 metres along the flight path from the last recorded location. The fact that it was buried made it harder to find but seem to have protected it from the evening's rain. Not flown it yet but it all turns on ok and just needed sensor calibration.

That's great. You are lucky that you find the drone. Please check carefully and see if it has anything wrong.
2018-3-28
Use props
OldFaflyers
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26555 ft
Australia

The same thing happened to me, your description of your flight is the same as mine. The Lost drone system took me to within 5 meters but it took me 10 minutes to locate it due to long grass.
You need to do alot of walking around and look up at trees.  My posting of the lost drone beeper would have helped you but no good now because your battery is flat by now.
I hope you find it..should be still there.  "NEVER FLY AFTER FIRMWARE UPDATE WITHOUT LINE OF SIGHT TEST FLIGHT" I learn my lesson.
2018-3-28
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-3-26 09:58
Surprised people promptly hit RTH when the drone goes into ATTI mode or has navigation problems.  How do they expect RTH to work?  

Another poster had the drone lose GPS, start to drift away, and the pilot reacted by pressing RTH about a hundred times on both the controller and the app.  He never touched the flight sticks as the drone left him.

'What's an ATTI-mode?'

To be honest, I'm not that surprised. Drones are becomming more and more accesible to people. A great experience, your own camera in the sky, easy to fly, everybody can do it!
Just look at these people smiling!
easy to fly.jpg
If you encounter dificulties, just let go off the controls! It will just hover...

That reliance has been created because of technology advances and even marketing. Many people that discover drones nowaday have never had the pleasure of experiencing flying a GPS-less drone, and now its even gotten worse because of the complete inability to turn on ATTI-mode yourself with the majority of DJI's consumer drones.
The biggest downside of that is you can't even gain the experience of flying without GPS-fix, and I would even go as far as saying DJI can at least be held partially responsible for blown-aways because they have effectively decided that users shouldn't be bothered with an ATTI-switch.

Yes, you should read the manual, inside out and then again, but that doesn't teach anyone how to fly in ATTI mode IRL. Expectance comes from experience, but the only way to get experience nowadays is being confronted and learn it the hard way.
2018-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules