controller help
1952 14 2018-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vadebon
lvl.1

United States

Hi folks. Retired my P1 and just bought a used P3 std. Did a demo before buying and all went well. Got it home and I did all the firmware updates. First flight was not good as controller responded incorrectly & my first crash ever! Did the updates change my remote controls? Display says Calibrate controller so I tried to calibrate the controller - Left stick shows correct left,right,up,down 100% correctly. The right stick registers 100% up & right correctly but putting stick down registers the 100% on the "up" and putting stick left registers 100% on the "right". Not sure how to reset this or what is needed. Might explain why my first flight did not go well. Any ideas on how to resolve?
2018-3-24
Use props
Pilot H
lvl.3
Flight distance : 209764 ft
United States

So, I don't exactly have a fix, but I have some things I'm curious about. Do you know which mode the controller was in (1, 2, or 3)? Two is the default If I'm not wrong.
2018-3-24
Use props
Pilot H
lvl.3
Flight distance : 209764 ft
United States

Pilot H Posted at 2018-3-24 13:32
So, I don't exactly have a fix, but I have some things I'm curious about. Do you know which mode the controller was in (1, 2, or 3)? Two is the default If I'm not wrong.

Check this via DJI GO. (Open the three dots in the camera feed section, select the controller tab (second down from top) and go into the Stick Mode tab. (Default mode is indeed Two.)
2018-3-24
Use props
vadebon
lvl.1

United States

Pilot H Posted at 2018-3-24 13:32

It is in mode 2 (the default). I even tried to make a custom matching what mode 2 is but the right stick still does not register correctly.
2018-3-24
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

vadebon Posted at 2018-3-24 13:35
It is in mode 2 (the default). I even tried to make a custom matching what mode 2 is but the right stick still does not register correctly.

sounds like you have a bad control or one that has had pressure put on the stick and popped it from it's mounting points inside the controller.  Might be able to open the controller carefully and inspect for damage.
2018-3-24
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Another story of everything fine before updating.  
2018-3-24
Use props
vadebon
lvl.1

United States

WD9EON Posted at 2018-3-24 13:52
sounds like you have a bad control or one that has had pressure put on the stick and popped it from it's mounting points inside the controller.  Might be able to open the controller carefully and inspect for damage.

Yep, on my list of troubleshooting. Will see what I find. Thanks.
2018-3-24
Use props
vadebon
lvl.1

United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-3-24 13:57
Another story of everything fine before updating.

Yes I have seen a pattern of that
2018-3-24
Use props
vadebon
lvl.1

United States

Re-tried everything!. Checked controller's inside, all seems well. Changed phones, changed batteries, changed my shirt.
Recap, updating controller - right stick up, says 100% at top. right stick down, 0% at bottom but 100 % at top. right stick right, says 100% at right. right stick left, says o% at left but 100% at right.
There must be a fix for this? Slightly losing my mind. Replies welcomed.
2018-3-24
Use props
Texas-Mark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23002 ft
United States

Just curious. Are you sure you are calibrating the sticks correctly? I know when I did mine, it took a while before I actually got the app to say the calibration was successful.
2018-3-24
Use props
vadebon
lvl.1

United States

Texas-Mark Posted at 2018-3-24 16:23
Just curious. Are you sure you are calibrating the sticks correctly? I know when I did mine, it took a while before I actually got the app to say the calibration was successful.

Well I seem to be following the steps. Says move sticks in full range of motions several times, then do the same with the gimbal wheel. It's when I'm moving the sticks that this error occurs. left one registers fine, it's the right one that doesn't register correctly when going down or to the left. Is there something I'm missing? Do I have to wait for a period of time before I start this after turning the P3 off? Still a mystery...
2018-3-24
Use props
Texas-Mark
lvl.4
United States

I seem to recall that I had to keep moving it around until it finally said it was done or something and not just moving them once.  This is for the pro, but same procedure. Now if it's not registering at all for right movement, then something is definitely wrong.

2018-3-24
Use props
vadebon
lvl.1

United States

Okay so get this, I buy a new controller on ebay.  Sync it up and get ready to fly. I calibrate the controller and all the movements register correctly. I go fly and it uncontrollable and I have to give it a hard landing. I check the calibration again and it's back to the same problem I had originally. Right stick registers up whether you push it up or down. Right stick registers right whether you push it right or left. Is this an app issue or a firmware issue or what? Really frustrated. Any ideas are welcome. Oh, and also it won't start with the sticks, had to use the auto takeoff. Thanks...
2018-3-31
Use props
Texas-Mark
lvl.4
United States

Very strange. Just to the heck of it what happens if you switch stick modes? Does the problem stay with the right stick or move to the left one?  I know you said you had tried a custom mode 2 already, but see what happens.

Also are you using Android or iOS app?  And this may be a stupid question and I am not sure if it is even possible (or the results if you can), but are you selecting the correct drone model when you start the app?
2018-3-31
Use props
LarBear360
lvl.4
Flight distance : 63537 ft

Texas-Mark Posted at 2018-3-31 17:40
Very strange. Just to the heck of it what happens if you switch stick modes? Does the problem stay with the right stick or move to the left one?  I know you said you had tried a custom mode 2 already, but see what happens.

Also are you using Android or iOS app?  And this may be a stupid question and I am not sure if it is even possible (or the results if you can), but are you selecting the correct drone model when you start the app?

Pretty safe to say the problem is NOT the controller. I wonder if rolling back the firmware would help identify the issue. I don't know if that's even possible with the P3S.

You might consider attempting the update again. Which firmware are you running? And do you know what firmware was running when acquired? I have heard of instances of updates jumping too far ahead. If you happened to skip over an update, it can cause problems. You need to take them in order.
2018-4-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules