What is the USB port for?
56505 24 2015-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alterastro
lvl.2

United Kingdom

OK, so as all the settings and firmware updates etc are done via app or directly using card or memory stick, what is the USB for on the P3?

2015-5-6
Use props
bestfhorn1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 823583 ft
United States

It basically acts like a memory card reader.  You plug that in to your computer, and you don't have to take the memory card out.  The other reason for the port is to update the controller in case you don't have a memory card reader or usb thumb drive around.
2015-5-6
Use props
Alterastro
lvl.2

United Kingdom

OK, so what is the USB port in the gimbal for then?
2015-5-6
Use props
nickmedici
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88287 ft
United States

Alterastro Posted at 2015-5-7 05:47
OK, so what is the USB port in the gimbal for then?

I could be wrong but I believe that is so you don't have to take the memory card out and you can look at your pictures and videos that way.
2015-5-6
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

It also allows to update the RC firmware using the supplied USB cable.
2015-5-7
Use props
stewartmcallist
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I wondered this as well - I think his question is why there are two usb ports on the quad...why not stick to one?
2015-5-7
Use props
alisdair
New

United Kingdom

I have hunted through the manual about this as I was wondering the same thing. I think...  the USB port on the camera is for exporting images, as an alternative to removing the micro SD card. The USB port on the front of the droid, is for exporting flight data. But that is an only an "I think." The manual is a little vague in places.
2015-5-7
Use props
rschiehl
lvl.1
United States

The controller connects to your mobile device via the usb port
2015-5-10
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

USB Ports - aircraft
There's one micro-USB port on the gimbal. It's used for reading media (video/photos) without having to monkey with the micro SD card.
There's another micro-USB port on the front of the aircraft. It's covered with a little rubberized tab, just below the name on the front.

Supposedly, this is used to retrieve log data, but I've not been able to make it work - at least not for me with an Android (Galaxy S5) device.

The lengthy tutorial I saw earlier here on the forum shows firmware updates being done via the SD card. I have no idea if the port on the front could be used for firmware updates or not.

USB Ports - controller
The USB port is used to connect your device running the Pilot App.

I've never used the micro-USB port on the controller. Don't remember what that one's for!
2015-5-10
Use props
lebed73
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2922999 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

hi, guys.
about micro USB port at RC.
what do you thinks, is this port able for video stream out to another device (monitor, recorder, videoglasses, etc)?
2015-5-13
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
United States

alisdair@digita Posted at 2015-5-7 22:43
I have hunted through the manual about this as I was wondering the same thing. I think...  the USB p ...

In one of the "murky menus" there's an option to "Enter Flight Data Mode." Once you've entered this mode, you can connect a cable between your PC and the P3 (through the front microUSB port) and download individual pilot data files. They are in a proprietary format - nothing on my PC will read them. I found a web site (flitchi or something like that) that supposedly will convert the files into CSV format - but I never could fathom what's really going on with the data files.
2015-5-13
Use props
ReppocMike
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1627667 ft
Finland

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-13 19:49
In one of the "murky menus" there's an option to "Enter Flight Data Mode." Once you've entered thi ...

You can find flight data recorded to you tablet/mobilephone. Check directory named  DJI
2015-5-14
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
United States

ReppocMike Posted at 2015-5-14 17:26
You can find flight data recorded to you tablet/mobilephone. Check directory named  DJI

Unh huh - it says they're .txt files.

Try opening one of them!
2015-5-14
Use props
ReppocMike
lvl.4
Finland

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-14 22:15
Unh huh - it says they're .txt files.

Try opening one of them!

And you can load dji fly data also. Connect drone to PC using drones front USB port.
You have to open it by Dji Pilot app. You find dji_flyxx.dat files. I dont find program can
open those files. I think only Dji service can do it.

USB

USB

2015-5-14
Use props
ReppocMike
lvl.4
Finland

You can find flight data files by using this usb port.

2015-5-14
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Took me awhile to figure out how to actually get ACCESS to the data log files.  Couldn't find it in the manual, just looked around on the various screens until I found something that said "Flight Data".  Finally figured out how to do a screen capture on a tablet so I did a step-by-step to show how to get to the Flight Data option.

Log files are in bin format.  You can decode them onto a CSV file using this web site: http://www.flylitchi.com/logs [thanks tchavalas]
2015-5-14
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
United States

gil Posted at 2015-5-15 04:02
Took me awhile to figure out how to actually get ACCESS to the data log files.  Couldn't find it in  ...

Fabulous documentation!

Now can you do the same thing with that web site? I understand what a CSV file is and I have Excel, but I get kind of lost in the conversion process - can't seem to retain/capture the resultant file.

Again - awesome job on the documentation - impossible not to follow the right procedure!
2015-5-14
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

gil Posted at 2015-5-15 04:02
Took me awhile to figure out how to actually get ACCESS to the data log files.  Couldn't find it in  ...

Nice detective work Gil!

Jerry
2015-5-14
Use props
kevin
New

United States

rschiehl@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-11 02:13
The controller connects to your mobile device via the usb port

It is used for viewing your flight data via a USB cable connected from the quad to the RC. You may enter this mode by selecting "MC Settings" then "Advanced Settings". From there select "Enter Flight Data Mode". A screen will popup stating you may now view your flight data by connecting a USB cable from the RC to the quad.
Hope that helps!
2015-6-13
Use props
fansc33eb125
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35433 ft
United States

kevin@tj-digita Posted at 2015-6-13 21:45
It is used for viewing your flight data via a USB cable connected from the quad to the RC. You may ...

Ok, But my problem is I want to know what is the front USB Port on the drone is used for? I am very curious about this.
2016-11-2
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 612825 ft
Croatia

fansc33eb125 Posted at 2016-11-3 01:35
Ok, But my problem is I want to know what is the front USB Port on the drone is used for? I am ver ...

Exporting flight data
2016-11-3
Use props
RSW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

lebed73@mail.ru Posted at 2015-5-13 01:48
hi, guys.
about micro USB port at RC.
what do you thinks, is this port able for video stream out to  ...

According to to the user manual the micro USB on the RC is for "Connect to a SD card reader to upgrade the firmware."
2016-11-3
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

I know this is an old thread but I found an additional use for the front USB connector on the AC.   When not in flight data mode, the connector is a serial port.  I connected Putty to it where I found it was sending all sorts of telemetry data.
I believe at one time DJI Assistant made use of this port in serial mode.
Not sure what baud rate it is sending out on.  I tried default 9600 baud and max baud 11520, same data.

Here's a sample output:
^----lat------lon-----radi-con-cla-id----sta-----end--
^numOfItem[0]tick0~3[0][0][0][0]
^interfere list num:[0],in area:[0],sn match[1]
^app switch[0] cfg switch[1] in limit[0]
^limit num[0]:[0][0][0][0][0]
^gps_date:20170212 errono[0]
^-----------------[periodic]-------------------
^----lat------lon-----radi-con-cla-id----sta-----end--
^numOfItem[0]tick0~3[0][0][0][0]
^interfere list num:[0],in area:[0],sn match[1]
^app switch[0] cfg switch[1] in limit[0]
^limit num[0]:[0][0][0][0][0]
^gps_date:20170212 errono[0]
\>>sending limit areas:[0]
tgimbal         pitch 0.00, roll 0.00, yaw 149.30

Lots of garbage characters when viewed in WordPad.  Had to copy line by line or else it didn't copy everything I selected.  I suspect some of the garbage characters stops the stream;
Noted the the gimbal yaw varied 148.2 and 149.3

Not sure if those garbage characters are legitimate or if they generated due to baud rate mismatch.

RC on P3 can no longer be upgraded by USB.   Now it has to be done through the app.
2017-2-12
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

OK, that was a bit scary.  After messing around with the P3 checking out the data readout, I powercycled where the P3A went through its Doo doo doo doot, did its gimbal initalization, gave its three dits saying all OK there, then started dit dit    Dit dit    Dit dit.
Uh oh, what did I do?   Connected the RC and the tablet, got compass error and firmware error.
Then I realized I had the AC sitting on my PC tower made of steel.   DOH!  Moved it to a wooden table, all normal even without powering off.
2017-2-12
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

The microUSB port on the RC also appears to be a serial port but no data comes out of it.
2017-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules