Propeller Longevity?
1076 11 2018-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rickyber
lvl.4
Flight distance : 403488 ft

Just a curious question.
How long does everyone use a set of propellers before you change them out?
I usually just use the standard ones and always balance them.
But, I just read a post about propeller failure and was wondering about this issue.
2018-3-24
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

For my P4P
Short of actual damage or failure I will use mine until I notice any unusual wear or other wear that will impact the props ability to function and/or remain safely attached.
Besides the obvious, looking for nicks and dings, you need to check the area under the hub where it connects to the motor to ensure none of the plastic moldings are not coming lose or worn.  You should also be checking the motor mount posts and springs for wear too and that they are remaining secure and fitted.
I know others have a stated flight count or flight time limit, but as frequently as I fly I find this technique works best for me.
2018-3-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

They can last forever, or a day.

Check them before and after every flight for damage, hair line cracks, other...

RedHotPoker
2018-3-24
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

As long as they aren't damaged or worn, they should last forever.   Flying in dusty environments will cause friction with abrasive particles, slowly wearing them down.  Hard landings and tumbles will cause small nicks and abrasions.  Most of this wear will be minor, and still airworthy.  You will know if you see something major that is out of place.  Best to swap the set at that point, the props are very inexpensive for the important role they play.  Also be aware of thread wear that could arise from constant attaching/disconnecting  them from the motors.  This should take quite some time to occur though.

Occasionally people attach a prop by feel, and might not tighten them sufficiently or not bottom them out, perhaps due to wear or foreign material/grit on the thread.  In certain flying conditions (e.g. hard acceleration and braking) a loose prop can work its way off, finally disconnecting altogether.  This is pretty rare though.  As long as you are careful to ensure the props are screwed on sufficiently and nipped up firmly at the end, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
2018-3-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I just check mine for stress lines etc and keep using using them until they look/feel worn. Usually every 20 hours of flight
2018-3-25
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I just check mine after every flight to make sure all is well. I have lots of spares in my flight bag just in case one might be defective.
2018-3-25
Use props
djiuser_dFXv88EjMq36
lvl.2

United States

The propeller would last longer than the phantom's airframe.
2018-3-25
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

After fitting the props the other day & as part of my "pre-flight" -------- I grasped one particular motor & tested the prop fit by gently trying to twist it against its' bayonet fitting.   I found that one of them had just a little movement.  I switched it for another (prop) which was fine,  neat as a pin.  So the little bit of movement comes from the prop fit as opposed to the motor fitting.  Does that make sense ?
I changed the prop in question for a spare which fits snug as.

The question is/are:   Is a little movement acceptable ?  Should the prop be binned ?

I'd appreciate your comments and acknowledge that there is no room for compromise in aviation operation.
2018-5-8
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Manxmann Posted at 2018-5-8 01:36
After fitting the props the other day & as part of my "pre-flight" -------- I grasped one particular motor & tested the prop fit by gently trying to twist it against its' bayonet fitting.   I found that one of them had just a little movement.  I switched it for another (prop) which was fine,  neat as a pin.  So the little bit of movement comes from the prop fit as opposed to the motor fitting.  Does that make sense ?

There should be about no space for movement.
When you notice it can move, try just release it and find the next position of the three where it can mount again, usually you will find that in one of the positions it fit without issues.
If you find that none of the three positions fit you need to figure out if it is the Prop or the mount, easy done with just fitting another prop and test again and/or move the prop to opposite arm and test it there.
2018-5-8
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Manxmann Posted at 2018-5-8 01:36
After fitting the props the other day & as part of my "pre-flight" -------- I grasped one particular motor & tested the prop fit by gently trying to twist it against its' bayonet fitting.   I found that one of them had just a little movement.  I switched it for another (prop) which was fine,  neat as a pin.  So the little bit of movement comes from the prop fit as opposed to the motor fitting.  Does that make sense ?

DJI props seem to have a threaded insert permanently pressed/glued/welded into the hub of the prop.  I assume this insert has come loose and is swiveling slightly within the hub, providing you with a little movement.  I doubt it will just fall out at this point, but a loose threaded insert definitely isn't normal.  I can't recall anyone reporting a separation in all the crash investigations I have done, though there have been reports of the whole assembly coming off for various reasons.  It is probably wise not to rely on this prop.

This advice is relevant to the P3 props (you posted in the Phantom 3 forum).  P4 props are different, I can't advise on the bayonet fitting they use, but they may also use an insert which has come loose.
2018-5-8
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dji recommends changing props after 200 flight, I’m assuming they mean 200 flight using full battery. Because I usually only fly for 10 minutes at a time the props could easily go 400 to 500 flights...
2018-5-8
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

endotherm Posted at 2018-5-8 02:36
DJI props seem to have a threaded insert permanently pressed/glued/welded into the hub of the prop.  I assume this insert has come loose and is swiveling slightly within the hub, providing you with a little movement.  I doubt it will just fall out at this point, but a loose threaded insert definitely isn't normal.  I can't recall anyone reporting a separation in all the crash investigations I have done, though there have been reports of the whole assembly coming off for various reasons.  It is probably wise not to rely on this prop.

This advice is relevant to the P3 props (you posted in the Phantom 3 forum).  P4 props are different, I can't advise on the bayonet fitting they use, but they may also use an insert which has come loost.

OOOPs !  I shall repost on the P4P forum
2018-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules