59350 59350 2018-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.3
Flight distance : 314705 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi, I've been through two Mavic Airs now and both have the identical issue.  There is a soft spot that takes up the right center area (see attached).  It isn't a case where the center is sharper than the edges, I understand how that works really well.  What I'm talking about is a dead area that is much softer than the area around it.  I showed images from my first air to DJI and they agreed that is was bad so I sent it back and got a new one which had the same issue.  Before you say it (I've heard this in other forums) this isn't a focus issue as you can't focus the Air.  It isn't a DOF issue, as it is consistant across the same area even when everything is in the same focal plane.  I know all about these things, I'm a 25 year professional photographer who also owns an I2, P4P, Mavic Pro so I understand cameras.

What I am wondering about is why I'm not seeing is a lot of posts about this anywhere else.  Did I just get two bad ones from the same batch?  I know the MP had some of these type of issues when it first came out so maybe this is a similar issue?  Either way, I can't live with this on what is an otherwise excellent drone so I'm trying to figure out if I should order up a third one and see if it gets any better or wait for whatever replaces the Mavic someday?

I've included unedited full size images (jpgs converted from RAW files) here.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndp2e0 ... 20examples.zip?dl=0

Any help is appreciated as I need to make a decision about this.

DJI_0013-Edit-2.jpg
2018-3-24
Use props
fanse6dd1e59
lvl.1
Russia

Hi! My Mavic is unsharp in this area too, but with red spot (aka yellow, warm). So don't worry, your problem is so tiny. Here is my topic: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... ;page=1#pid1271121.
2018-3-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks minimal to me too - I'm sure this will be fixed with FW updates - nice shot BTW
2018-3-25
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-25 00:44
Looks minimal to me too - I'm sure this will be fixed with FW updates - nice shot BTW

It is quite blurry if you look at it on the original.  The roof of the house on the right has much less detail in the tiles.  Here is a 100% crop that makes it more clear.  The version I had to upload earlier was reduced in size.
2018-3-25
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-3-25 09:40
It is quite blurry if you look at it on the original.  The roof of the house on the right has much less[view_image] detail in the tiles.  Here is a 100% crop that makes it more clear.  The version I had to upload earlier was reduced in size.

Please provide us the original picture for further check. You can upload to dropbox and google and post the link here.
2018-3-25
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-25 19:25
Please provide us the original picture for further check. You can upload to dropbox and google and post the link here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mwvxoy ... ft%20files.zip?dl=0

There you go.  They are JPG files converted from RAW otherwise they are full size.
And thank you for taking a look.
2018-3-25
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-3-25 19:37

There you go.  They are JPG files converted from RAW otherwise they are full size.

If you have the raw file, I would imagine that would be even more helpful for DJI engineers.  You may think about adding that to your dropbox for them too.
2018-3-25
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

KlooGee Posted at 2018-3-25 19:45
If you have the raw file, I would imagine that would be even more helpful for DJI engineers.  You may think about adding that to your dropbox for them too.

I'll do it right now and the link will be the same.
2018-3-25
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-3-25 19:47
I'll do it right now and the link will be the same.

Okay, updated the dropbox file with 4 raw files as well as all the other files.
2018-3-25
Use props
Sogoatticus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 213976 ft

Did they send you a new unit for the second one or they just fixed the camera?
2018-3-26
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Sogoatticus Posted at 2018-3-26 19:53
Did they send you a new unit for the second one or they just fixed the camera?

My most excellent dealer replaced the first one from his initial batch of 10 units. So I got a new one but they all came from the same set.
2018-3-26
Use props
Sogoatticus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 213976 ft

I think i have the same issue. Soft at near center of my image. Currently dealing with DJI support. Whats your next step?
2018-3-26
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Sogoatticus Posted at 2018-3-26 22:45
I think i have the same issue. Soft at near center of my image. Currently dealing with DJI support. Whats your next step?

Trying to figure out if it is all Airs or just the ones I've been flying.  It is looking more and more like a problem with the Air, at least in some batches.  I'm going to send mine in and see what they come up with.  If they can't fix it, I'm going to return it for a refund.
2018-3-26
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-3-25 19:37

Thanks for your update. I would help you forward it to our engineers for further check.
2018-3-28
Use props
Tooter Turtle
lvl.4
United States

Minimal IMO
2018-3-28
Use props
LOKY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22359 ft

By the way, never saw any update feedback when someone send data to DJI, is always the same, "we are going to submit to our engineers"
2018-3-28
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-28 03:18
Thanks for your update. I would help you forward it to our engineers for further check.

Thank you.
2018-3-28
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

This is from a test flight yesterday.  It is a 100% crop that really shows how sharply the focus drops off right about where my yellow line is. I'm standing in the middle of the street and am completely out of focus. For those who said this is minimal, take another look and see if you still feel that way.  it's almost as if I added blur to the image inside the line (I promise I didn't).  I double, tripple checked the lens, clean as can be.
2018-3-30
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

This is from a test flight yesterday.  It is a 100% crop that really shows how sharply the focus drops off right about where my yellow line is.  For those who said this is minimal, take another look and see if you still feel that way.  it's almost as if I added blur to the image inside the line (I promise I didn't).  I double, tripple checked the lens, clean as can be.

This is probably the best example I can give.  Look how it is basically sharp then quickly transitions to blurry and then back to sharper again. The bottom one is much better example as it is as large as I can make it and still be under the upload limits.
DJI_0034-Edit-5.jpg
2018-3-30
Use props
Wrangl3r
lvl.1
Australia

I have this issue as well, very disappointing. As with the images fans4a0b1b27 provided the image goes from sharp to blurry very quickly and then starts to sharpen again towards the edge of the frame. Pretty obvious in both photos and videos. Seems to me like there could be a bump in the sensor, causing that region of the image to have a different focal plane.

Looks like my unit will be going back to the store, hopefully I can get a replacement without this problem...

Example still image here (unprocessed DNG exported to JPEG):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9gfezzw85w3vtiu/EG6.jpg

Example 4k video still here (default camera settings):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oio6ap397s1no97/EG7-4K.jpg
2018-4-1
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Wrangl3r Posted at 2018-4-1 17:56
I have this issue as well, very disappointing. As with the images fans4a0b1b27 provided the image goes from sharp to blurry very quickly and then starts to sharpen again towards the edge of the frame. Pretty obvious in both photos and videos. Seems to me like there could be a bump in the sensor, causing that region of the image to have a different focal plane.

Looks like my unit will be going back to the store, hopefully I can get a replacement without this problem...

Yep, you have it the blurry spot plague!  So the good news,  so far is... DJI agreed and asked me to send it in for replacement and paid for the shipping both ways.  The bad news is, I tried replacement once by picking up a brand new unit and the problem was in the second unit as well.  I guess we will see if sending back to DJI is a better fix.  I really love this little bird but not if there is a blurry patch in every shot.

Let me know what happens for  you.  I'm glad you posted as people were telling me I was being too picky and, though I am picky, this was not a minor issue in my mind.
2018-4-1
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Sogoatticus Posted at 2018-3-26 22:45

I shipped it off on Friday to be fixed/replaced.  I guess we will see.  I don't expect to see anything back for a few weeks at this point.  I'll just have to keep flying the Inspire2 around in the mean time.
2018-4-1
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-4-1 23:15
I shipped it off on Friday to be fixed/replaced.  I guess we will see.  I don't expect to see anything back for a few weeks at this point.  I'll just have to keep flying the Inspire2 around in the mean time.

That should comfort you a little ;-)
2018-4-2
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-4-2 01:28
That should comfort you a little ;-)

Yes... Though as much as I love the i2 it is a beast to move around and in some situations, too large or loud for the situation.  Still, she is a beauty.
2018-4-2
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-4-2 09:22
Yes... Though as much as I love the i2 it is a beast to move around and in some situations, too large or loud for the situation.  Still, she is a beauty.

It's my dream to own one some day, but I fear it will remain a dream for long...
2018-4-2
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-4-1 23:15
I shipped it off on Friday to be fixed/replaced.  I guess we will see.  I don't expect to see anything back for a few weeks at this point.  I'll just have to keep flying the Inspire2 around in the mean time.

Please tell me your case number, hope it will be solved soon.
2018-4-2
Use props
Wrangl3r
lvl.1
Australia

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-4-1 23:12
Yep, you have it the blurry spot plague!  So the good news,  so far is... DJI agreed and asked me to send it in for replacement and paid for the shipping both ways.  The bad news is, I tried replacement once by picking up a brand new unit and the problem was in the second unit as well.  I guess we will see if sending back to DJI is a better fix.  I really love this little bird but not if there is a blurry patch in every shot.

Let me know what happens for  you.  I'm glad you posted as people were telling me I was being too picky and, though I am picky, this was not a minor issue in my mind.

Will do, it's currently with the DJI distributor so hopefully I will know what is happening soon.

You're definitely not too picky, with a soft spot almost in the centre of the image it's not really fit for purpose. I've seen numerous photos from other users that don't have this issue, so there are obviously good units out there, just seems like we were unlucky and got a bad batch.
2018-4-3
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Wrangl3r Posted at 2018-4-3 02:04
Will do, it's currently with the DJI distributor so hopefully I will know what is happening soon.

You're definitely not too picky, with a soft spot almost in the centre of the image it's not really fit for purpose. I've seen numerous photos from other users that don't have this issue, so there are obviously good units out there, just seems like we were unlucky and got a bad batch.

Yes and that is great news, I was worried there just wasn't going to be an option where it was sharp.  DJI has been great about it.  They haven't given me any pushback about it being subtle.  They right away told me to send it in.
2018-4-3
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-2 22:32
Please tell me your case number, hope it will be solved soon.

Here you go... Case Number: CAS-1606991-B0G1S5  I'd love to get it back ASAP so it will be great to hear what you discover.
2018-4-3
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-4-3 09:45
Here you go... Case Number: CAS-1606991-B0G1S5  I'd love to get it back ASAP so it will be great to hear what you discover.

Just checked your case, your drone is under repair and the fee is covered by warranty. Please wait patiently and hope you get back your drone soon. Thanks for your support.
2018-4-7
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-7 00:34
Just checked your case, your drone is under repair and the fee is covered by warranty. Please wait patiently and hope you get back your drone soon. Thanks for your support.

Thank you.  Any idea what they did to fix it?
2018-4-7
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-4-7 13:33
Thank you.  Any idea what they did to fix it?

Just checked your case, it showed that the pictures were caused by defective gimbal. They will replace the malfunction part. Thanks for your support.  
2018-4-8
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-8 22:14
Just checked your case, it showed that the pictures were caused by defective gimbal. They will replace the malfunction part. Thanks for your support.

That is interesting, I wonder how a gimbal would create this issue?  Well I guess we will find out.  Thank you for your followup
2018-4-9
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-4-9 09:06
That is interesting, I wonder how a gimbal would create this issue?  Well I guess we will find out.  Thank you for your followup

You are welcome. The case showed that your drone was sent back to you. Hope you can get it soon.
2018-4-9
Use props
jh8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-4-9 09:06

I guess they replaced the entire gimbal unit, which would include the camera..
2018-4-10
Use props
Wrangl3r
lvl.1
Australia

jh8 Posted at 2018-4-10 03:27

That was my thought when I read that too.

An update on my mavic; I got a whole unit replacement but haven't been able to properly test it yet (due to constant rain). Test shots from inside the house look ok, but I really want to send it up in the air and get some photos from a reasonable distance before I make any conclusions.
2018-4-14
Use props
Samphoto
lvl.3
  • >>>

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-9 23:34
You are welcome. The case showed that your drone was sent back to you. Hope you can get it soon.

Electra, I did get it back but it had exactly the same issue.  They had sent me a totally new unit with the same build date.  So I sent that one back and they just are reviewing it today.  Seems like there is a larger issue here with these.
2018-5-8
Use props
Samphoto
lvl.3
  • >>>

jh8 Posted at 2018-4-10 03:27

They actually replaced the entire drone, (new serial number) but unfortunately, the issue prevails so I sent it back again.
2018-5-8
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Samphoto Posted at 2018-5-8 10:02
Electra, I did get it back but it had exactly the same issue.  They had sent me a totally new unit with the same build date.  So I sent that one back and they just are reviewing it today.  Seems like there is a larger issue here with these.

Please keep us updated, if you encounter any problem with the new case, please let me know.
2018-5-8
Use props
Optimus Prime-Mavic Air
lvl.4
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

I also has the same issue with blurry half right screen, please help me check it, i also posted dropbox link to forum. Thank you very much
2018-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules