o(^-^)o
Barry Goyette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14928 ft
  • >>>
United States

Barry Goyette Posted at 2018-4-2 08:15
Hi Mindy,

I just received the beta and installed it on my craft, with one of the sets of affected batteries installed to run the FW update. There  were no notes that came with the beta. Elektra had previously mentioned to make sure the battery's were fully charged. Which I did.  

I bit the bullet and updated my second set of unbalanced batteries...at least I think I did, as there really wasn't any indication that anything was happening...anyway..that set, appears now to be balanced...although it took a half hour or so. One of the two batteries from the first set appears to be toast.

Anybody using the beta notice anything else that's operating differently?  :-) (cough....yaw...cough)
2018-4-2
Use props
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

Just a comment here ... the moment LiPo batteries become unbalanced, there is a risk of permanent damage if we continue to use them in that state.  I am eagerly waiting the release of the new firmware - but it will not repair a battery after permanent cell damage has occurred.  My two sets of batteries are still OK and thankfully balanced after 30 charges, but I am getting worried, and am monitoring the cell voltage displays carefully in the Go 4 app each time I fly.  The moment it seems a cell becomes unbalanced, I will stop using that pair of batteries and wait for the new firmware.  

I am sure that DJI will replace any batteries that are permanently damaged through the firmware fault, but I don't want the hassle of going down that route!!
2018-4-2
Use props
rcdrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4987553 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

I had this problem yesterday... And DJI told me that they cannot do anything in my case because I bought my batteries on jun 17th, more than six months ago... and the warranty is only 6 months. But now I see that this problem is annouced! DJI cause the problem and now they cannot replace the batteries? is it correct? DJI told me that I need buy new TB 50...
2018-4-2
Use props
daev2018
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12263747 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-26 03:34
If you already sent in, our repair team will help to take care of it, no worries.

DJI replaced my first battery reading cell error without question. The second one failed only 2 weeks later. Though I had only used it 17 times it was past the 6 months. The guy at tech support led me through a long conversation like he was going to help then seemed to almost laugh at me and say you can send it in at your expense and they will just tell you to buy a new one. The strange thing is that if you put the good battery in the right bay and start the I2 before installing the Bad battery the I2 would not indicate a problem. I bought a new one. Still have a Bad one sitting here. I knew all along this was a firmware issue. I think the process of hot swapping batteries was causing this so I stopped doing that. Thank You for the notification. If I could be sure I can fix the "Bad" battery I would buy it a mate.
2018-4-2
Use props
daev2018
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

RobAlbania Posted at 2018-3-29 08:24
@DJI Mindy@

Thanks a lot for your reply.  I understand from what you've said the top priority is to fix "bugs" that affect safety or product reliability, that is sensible.

Battery problem?
2018-4-2
Use props
rcdrone
lvl.2
  • >>>
Brazil

RobAlbania Posted at 2018-4-2 11:48
Just a comment here ... the moment LiPo batteries become unbalanced, there is a risk of permanent damage if we continue to use them in that state.  I am eagerly waiting the release of the new firmware - but it will not repair a battery after permanent cell damage has occurred.  My two sets of batteries are still OK and thankfully balanced after 30 charges, but I am getting worried, and am monitoring the cell voltage displays carefully in the Go 4 app each time I fly.  The moment it seems a cell becomes unbalanced, I will stop using that pair of batteries and wait for the new firmware.  

I am sure that DJI will replace any batteries that are permanently damaged through the firmware fault, but I don't want the hassle of going down that route!!

I have two batteries with problems and DJI told me today that they will not replace because they sold it  more than 6 months ago, and the warranty is only 6 months... do you believe?
2018-4-2
Use props
daev2018
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Octovisuals Posted at 2018-4-1 11:11
Wow, just wow... You force consumers to buy only your products locking your drones, you charge like twice for those batteries compared to a regular battery... and you aren't capable of even get them balanced, which is one of the very first things all lipo/users should do since day 0.

Excuse me if I'm too cynic.

No one forces you to buy DJI products do they? You should report that to the authorities.
2018-4-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Barry Goyette Posted at 2018-4-2 09:13
I bit the bullet and updated my second set of unbalanced batteries...at least I think I did, as there really wasn't any indication that anything was happening...anyway..that set, appears now to be balanced...although it took a half hour or so. One of the two batteries from the first set appears to be toast.

Anybody using the beta notice anything else that's operating differently?  :-) (cough....yaw...cough)

Hi Barry, please note after you update the firmware, the battery should be fully charged and cannot be used in the next 48-72 hours, please leave it alone and then insert it to the aircraft to see if the voltage is balanced.
2018-4-2
Use props
AidanKless
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Sorry we can not open source the code of DJI GO App for now, but we are looking for all kinds of software engineers base in ShenZhen or Palo Alto, you can send your resume to software-sz@dji.com.

Thank you for your advice.
2018-4-2
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansdb6ff1f7 Posted at 2018-4-2 01:30
Hi,

None of my batteries are unbalanced. This is a firmware fault. DJI have admitted that.

The screenshot of the first battery shows the #2 cell at 4.22 v while all the rest are showing full voltage highest being 4.5v 0.13v out of balance. This is a classic out of balance battery.

Rich
2018-4-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

rcdrone Posted at 2018-4-2 17:21
I have two batteries with problems and DJI told me today that they will not replace because they sold it  more than 6 months ago, and the warranty is only 6 months... do you believe?

Did you send in the battery? If yes, please leave me with the case number. How did you contact our support team? Could you please PM me your contact info so that we can make an investigation to make it clear?
The firmware will be released very soon, we recommend to update the firmware to see if the issue persists.
2018-4-2
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1998786 ft
United Kingdom

A lot of mixed messages on this issue from DJI. To quote their own announcement  ...... We have received reports of a battery cell error with the TB50 Intelligent Batteries used in the Inspire 2. This error is caused by an unbalanced battery cell voltage, and we will diminish this issue through a firmware update in the near future. Through our test and analysis, the battery will become normal after cells are balanced ..... Yet there is advice here implying that we should send them in for exchange? Even if they're out of warranty? As DJI have accepted that this is an issue with the firmware and not the hardware, and thought it serious enough to post an announcement, please can we get an official update .. including official advice on the returns policy. Thanks,
2018-4-2
Use props
DJI iOS Team
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

RobAlbania Posted at 2018-3-29 08:24
@DJI Mindy@

Thanks a lot for your reply.  I understand from what you've said the top priority is to fix "bugs" that affect safety or product reliability, that is sensible.

Sorry we can not open source the code of DJI GO App for now, but we are looking for all kinds of software engineers base in ShenZhen or Palo Alto, you can send your resume to software-sz@dji.com.

Thank you for your advice.
2018-4-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

RobAlbania Posted at 2018-4-2 11:48

The post in 53# is from our engineers, you may consider it.
2018-4-3
Use props
Barry Goyette
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-2 20:14
Hi Barry, please note after you update the firmware, the battery should be fully charged and cannot be used in the next 48-72 hours, please leave it alone and then insert it to the aircraft to see if the voltage is balanced.

Well, see...this is where the instructions haven't been consistent or clear.  There is another post from DJI (actually 2) which says wait 90 minutes.

And, at least for me, this (charge, then wait 48-72 hours) version of the instructions implies that after the FW update, I should fully charge the battery. Which is what I tried to do, and when I did that, I got an error at the charger (flashing yellow light on charger, and single flashing LED on the battery).  The second set of batteries seemed to balance over an approx 1/2 hour period, which would support the 90 minute instruction. But attempting to charge the battery after the update only resulted in an error. (I'm not suggesting that this is causal, just describing what happened).

This particular battery was relatively new (4 months) when the Cinecore Beta started in October. Loading the beta was the trigger that caused the cell error (a fact confirmed by rolling back the FW to pre beta). After that FW became official, the battery cell error returned. As this battery would have been under warranty at the time of. failure, and the failure seems to be caused by a FW update in the fall, is it possible to have it replaced?
2018-4-3
Use props
rcdrone
lvl.2
  • >>>

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-2 21:15
Did you send in the battery? If yes, please leave me with the case number. How did you contact our support team? Could you please PM me your contact info so that we can make an investigation to make it clear?
The firmware will be released very soon, we recommend to update the firmware to see if the issue persists.

My contact is rcdroneia@gmail.com
2018-4-3
Use props
rcdrone
lvl.2
  • >>>

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-2 21:15

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PV8hb3x2OqgP--uM07TM4X-fyZ3AneWz/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XH9vrgI1Um-7_qZthX-LgrebcCkyPZcu/view?usp=drivesdk

Those are the movies that I did to show to DJI.

2018-4-3
Use props
jdmagoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1478842 ft
  • >>>
Australia

How far apart does the voltage need to be before the cells are considered out of balance?
2018-4-3
Use props
Barry Goyette
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jdmagoo Posted at 2018-4-3 14:13
How far apart does the voltage need to be before the cells are considered out of balance?

that's an interesting one...I have batteries that show more variation, that don't have a problem. The two problem batteries I have have cell variations between around .1 volts
2018-4-3
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jdmagoo Posted at 2018-4-3 14:13

Here's  the screenshot of my system. Not a big difference but obviously the latest firmware considers it enough to trigger the error message.

2018-4-3
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.3
Flight distance : 314705 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was just about to toss a tb-50 in the recycle at DJI's support suggestion because my battery is 9 months old.  Glad I didn't.  
2018-4-4
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.3
Flight distance : 314705 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-29 01:49
Thanks for the case number, may I know what our support has told you before? Did we send you any replacement? May I have a screenshot of the reply from our support? Besides, do you still remember the shipping label when you sent in? Thank you.

I have 18 cycles on one of my batteries that support told me I had to dispose of and purchase a new one because it was 3 months out of warranty.  I haven't gotten around to getting the battery to a recycling place yet which is good because I would have been VERY unhappy to read this after I tossed a $160 battery away.
2018-4-4
Use props
daev2018
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-4-4 11:16
I have 18 cycles on one of my batteries that support told me I had to dispose of and purchase a new one because it was 3 months out of warranty.  I haven't gotten around to getting the battery to a recycling place yet which is good because I would have been VERY unhappy to read this after I tossed a $160 battery away.

Did you get a replacement yet?

My first bad one DJI replaced. A couple weeks later the 2nd battery failed and they wouldn't replace it.

I bought a replacement already and paired the new one with one that had 18 cycles.
Like you I have kept the supposedly bad battery. I didn't think it was really bad.

Now I have 5 sets and 1 that can't be used unless I buy another.
2018-4-4
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
United Kingdom

daev2018 Posted at 2018-4-4 18:29
Did you get a replacement yet?

My first bad one DJI replaced. A couple weeks later the 2nd battery failed and they wouldn't replace it.

Other guys on the forum have downloaded the latest firmware beta and have successfully reset batteries that were previously flagged by the error message. There are mixed messages coming from DJI in regard to this issue.  DJI have recognised that there is an error in the Firmware by starting this thread, and also that it is being worked on. But we need  an update from them. If I had thrown a perfectly serviceable £200 battery away on the advice of DJI, when it was not damaged, I would be looking for a refund.   
2018-4-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

rcdrone Posted at 2018-4-3 07:16
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PV8hb3x2OqgP--uM07TM4X-fyZ3AneWz/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XH9vrgI1Um-7_qZthX-LgrebcCkyPZcu/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks, I have received your PM, did you contact our support via the online chat? I would recommend to wait the next firmware to be released and then update the firmware to see if the issue persists.Your patience would be highly appreciated.
2018-4-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-4-4 11:16
I have 18 cycles on one of my batteries that support told me I had to dispose of and purchase a new one because it was 3 months out of warranty.  I haven't gotten around to getting the battery to a recycling place yet which is good because I would have been VERY unhappy to read this after I tossed a $160 battery away.

Sorry to read on this, may I know how did you contact our support? May I have your contact info so that we can verify with the support team? We are working on releasing a firmware to fix the issue, but not all battery cell error can be fixed by the firmware like if the battery has a hardware issue. Therefore, we recommend to wait for the firmware to have a try, but if the error persists after the upgrade and the battery has been out of warranty, I'm afraid we cannot provide warranty service. Thanks for your understanding.
2018-4-5
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-5 02:01
Thanks, I have received your PM, did you contact our support via the online chat? I would recommend to wait the next firmware to be released and then update the firmware to see if the issue persists.Your patience would be highly appreciated.

Hi Mindy
I have requested the beta FW via PM.. Are you going to add me to the list? I have a battery that could benefit from this new update.

Thanks
Rich
2018-4-5
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-5 02:07
Sorry to read on this, may I know how did you contact our support? May I have your contact info so that we can verify with the support team? We are working on releasing a firmware to fix the issue, but not all battery cell error can be fixed by the firmware like if the battery has a hardware issue. Therefore, we recommend to wait for the firmware to have a try, but if the error persists after the upgrade and the battery has been out of warranty, I'm afraid we cannot provide warranty service. Thanks for your understanding.

This contradicts the original announcement. Through our test and analysis, the battery will become normal after cells are balanced.  If the new firmware does not fix the battery. How will we know if the firmware was the cause of the fault, or if the battery failed independant of the fault? My error message is affecting a battery with only 28 cycles on it. If it has failed independant of the fault then that is not an acceptable lifespan for a £200 battery. When will the new firmware be available?
2018-4-6
Use props
Airpixel Studio
lvl.2
United Arab Emirates

@DJI Mindy I followed your advise and ran it down to 5% to try and fix by battery. When I tried to charge it up it showed a red light on the charging hub. If I press the battery test button it shows a single flashing light. I should never have tried discharging it but it was DJI advice. Now I need to buy 2 new batteries to pair together!!!
2018-4-6
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The second of my six TB50's is now showing the error. I'm not prepared to risk flying until this is fixed. Therefore my I2 remains grounded till the new firmware to deal with this issue is released. Advice from DJI to drain down to 5 percent  both on the Go4 app and on from DJI on the forum is obviously bricking batteries. Advice from DJI to bin perfectly good batteries that are affected by this issue is really, really incomprehensible. Advice from DJI to have a go at fixing the batteries by becoming a beta tester is just insulting.   OK I can understand that DJI would want to include all fixes into a single Firmware upgrade but surely this, or any issue as totally fundimental to the operation of the product .. i.e the battery warrants a patch release.      
2018-4-7
Use props
rcdrone
lvl.2
  • >>>

Thanks, I have received your PM, did you contact our support via the online chat? I would recommend to wait the next firmware to be released and then update the firmware to see if the issue persists.Your patience would be highly appreciated.

May you send me the new fw at the beta version?

Thanks.
2018-4-7
Use props
rcdrone
lvl.2
  • >>>

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-5 02:07
Sorry to read on this, may I know how did you contact our support? May I have your contact info so that we can verify with the support team? We are working on releasing a firmware to fix the issue, but not all battery cell error can be fixed by the firmware like if the battery has a hardware issue. Therefore, we recommend to wait for the firmware to have a try, but if the error persists after the upgrade and the battery has been out of warranty, I'm afraid we cannot provide warranty service. Thanks for your understanding.

I had the same answer from dji. It’s unbeliaveble.... I watt remember DJI that I bought the battery in good conditions and your firmware make the problem. All users didn’t do anything to spoil it.
Remember the problems in the past, which have the same problem with DJI Inspire1 and my drone felt down. The problem was the firmware os the battery.
DJI tell us to fly with the latest fw. You provide a bad fw and we should buy new batteries? I Thimbu you should look a new answer to us...
This is not the attitude we expect from DJI.
2018-4-7
Use props
rcdrone
lvl.2
  • >>>

Mindy, we watt know WHEN Will you release the firmware...
2018-4-7
Use props
fansfd50c856
lvl.4
Flight distance : 860085 ft
  • >>>

Well well well ................ so its not our fault after all , what about the people like me who have ditched batteries  because djis  firmware made good batteries bad, made us buy more and then made them bad?
i have got rid of 2 pairs of batteries which were now fine JUST A SOFTWARE GLITCH .......................... COME DJI GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.
i don't suppose the people like me you got rid of good batteries will get any compensation from DJI...................... thoughts
2018-4-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-4-5 08:52
Hi Mindy
I have requested the beta FW via PM.. Are you going to add me to the list? I have a battery that could benefit from this new update.

Sorry Rich, I just saw your message, I have replied your PM, please check, thanks.
2018-4-8
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
United Kingdom

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-4-5 08:52
Hi Mindy

Hi Rich .. Be aware. DJI have stated that the Beta may fix the issue but may not. Also once installed the Beta cannot be rolled back to a previous Firmware version.
2018-4-8
Use props
Kosmonauta
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4927142 ft
  • >>>

Waited several weeks now, still no firmware. If I buy new batteries, will they also have the error? Was it just one batch, or is it all?
2018-4-8
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansdb6ff1f7 Posted at 2018-4-8 01:17
Hi Rich .. Be aware. DJI have stated that the Beta may fix the issue but may not. Also once installed the Beta cannot be rolled back to a previous Firmware version.

Yes, I have been on the beta testing team before and they have locked the roll back option before.  DJI is good about telling you this before updating the FW.

Rich
2018-4-8
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-8 01:02
Sorry Rich, I just saw your message, I have replied your PM, please check, thanks.

Hi Mindy,

I responded to your PM and thank you.

Have a great day

Rich
2018-4-8
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
United Kingdom

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-4-8 20:29
Yes, I have been on the beta testing team before and they have locked the roll back option before.  DJI is good about telling you this before updating the FW.

Hi Rich. It would be really helpful if you could let us know how you get on with the beta version and if it fixes your batteries. Thanks.
2018-4-9
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules