DJI Osmo Mobile 2 won't work in Portrait mode (Horrible motor noise)
28881 13 2018-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansbf0b2c0d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 196765 ft
Canada

Hello. Just received my DJI Osmo Mobile 2. It balances, and works OK in landscape mode with my iPhone X. However when I rotate the clamp to portrait/vertical orientation (after balancing) and turn on it makes a horrible noise like the motors cant handle it and are being very strained. Its doesnt stay in the right position and basically doesnt work. I have attached two videos, one just turning it on and it makes the noise and another trying with the DJI Go App, which does the same. Neither work. Help!!?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... LG/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... Sz/view?usp=sharing
2018-3-26
Use props
1px0ff
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237238 ft
United States

I have had that same issue in portrait mode. Portrait is much more difficult to balance for.  That being said, your phone does not look balanced in either one of your videos.  the fact that you are having to hold the motor as you turn it on indicates that it is not correctly balanced.n. The phone should stay in place without you having to hold it.  I have had mine make the same noises after successfully turning on and connecting to the app, then when trying to pan the motors start whining.  usually turning the OM2 off and back on, with a slight balance tweak fixes the issue though
2018-3-26
Use props
fansbf0b2c0d
lvl.1
Canada

Thanks for the response. I just used those as an example, I have balanced in other scenarios and it still does it every time. Something seems wrong, I have a large stabilizer for a DSLR so have plenty of experience balancing but this still doesn’t seem right. Is there a video somewhere you have seen demonstrating a proper balancing? I feel like I’m missing something
2018-3-26
Use props
Lovely Rita
lvl.2
United States

"However when I rotate the clamp to portrait/vertical orientation (after balancing)"

If it's balanced for horizontal and you then rotate for portrait you need to balance again since the phone practically has to be removed to rotate the holder.

Page 7 of the manual:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _User_Manual_EN.pdf

2018-3-26
Use props
fansbf0b2c0d
lvl.1
Canada

Yeh my wording was bad before, I meant to say it was rotated and then balanced. I did another video to show its balanced as the method above describes (thanks by the way) and it still has the issue.

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... 9eCBE2_BUhXyvg7abw9
2018-3-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fansbf0b2c0d Posted at 2018-3-26 14:47
Yeh my wording was bad before, I meant to say it was rotated and then balanced. I did another video to show its balanced as the method above describes (thanks by the way) and it still has the issue.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1F1RMBQwB2pzEM9eCBE2_BUhXyvg7abw9

Thanks for the video, I will forward it to our engineers to look into, just to verify, did you try other mobile device with small size to see if the issue persists?
2018-3-26
Use props
fansbf0b2c0d
lvl.1
Canada

Yeh I also tried with iPhone 7. Same issue
2018-3-27
Use props
fansbf0b2c0d
lvl.1
Canada

It was faulty. I exchange for a different one and now works great.
2018-3-31
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fansbf0b2c0d Posted at 2018-3-31 17:07
It was faulty. I exchange for a different one and now works great.

Glad to know the issue was figured out by a replacement, hope you have a great time with Osmo Mobile 2, please keep us updated if there is any other issue.
2018-4-1
Use props
djiuser_CjWAgUJCrffw
New
Netherlands

I have the same issue I get hem today, only in my case happend that sometimes motor do wel but only sometimes, so I dont know what to do!!
2018-4-24
Use props
Jose Jimenez
lvl.1
Nicaragua

Hi Guys, I had the same issue, so I did a Calibration (see picture) and set my Samsung S5 Horizontal and play around for a few minutes, after that I change to vertical and work just fine
seems that noise of the motors forcing is due to to having the correct balance, need to balance correctly.

2018-4-24
Use props
fansb7a0673f
New

New Zealand

I have had exactly this problem.  I got mine today and it can’t hold it’s head up in portrait mode.  Will take it back to the store tomorrow.
2018-6-15
Use props
fansdb363e5a
New
United States

I recently had a similar issue. Hi what is the recording live on Instagram and vertical mode and after a few minutes the phone just abruptly turned horizontally. This happen four or five times in a row , Like about 10 minutes passed in between each time it happened. Any idea why?
2018-12-23
Use props
lvl.1

I have exactly the same problem in portrait mode with my Osmo Mobile 2.
I've tried it with different phones and balanced it perfectly, but motors are still going insane and produce strong vibration and loud noise.

Anyone knows if this issue fixed in Osmo Mobile 3?
2019-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules