Best Cinematic Settings when using PolarPro Vivid Series
955 4 2018-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CHSDrone1
lvl.2
United States

Hey Everyone,

I just ordered the PolarPro Cinema Series Vivid ND filters and I was wondering if I should use the same recommended "cinematic settings" for contrast / sharpening / saturation (0, -3, -2, D-cinelike) or if I should go with the default setting.  Thanks!  
2018-3-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That should not make a difference.
You are 'only' reducing the shutterspeed (and adding some motion blur).
Your picture style has little influence on that.

Note that you might not want to leave them on when you take pictures.
In general you want the fastest shutterspeed and lowest iso possible for pictures.
(to avoid motion blur and noise)

With video you do want motion blur (a little)

So that is a dilemma if you want to take both video and photo's.
2018-3-26
Use props
Axeli
Second Officer
Flight distance : 339416 ft
Czechia

I have Standard Series and I'm shooting with 0/0/0/ as suggest this video but yeah, this one suggest 0/-3/-2 and so on... I'm going to do some test shots and see what's work best for me. But I agree, it doesn't matter that much..
2018-3-26
Use props
CHSDrone1
lvl.2
United States

Wow - that's so interesting - I didn't know that you were supposed to take the ND filters off for photography.  I've watched a bunch of Youtube videos online and it seems like there is no consensus on the "best settings" ... I plan on editing my photos in lightroom and editing my videos in iMovie using their basic color correction tools so I'm open to all suggestions.  
2018-3-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

CHSDrone1 Posted at 2018-3-26 05:05
Wow - that's so interesting - I didn't know that you were supposed to take the ND filters off for photography.  I've watched a bunch of Youtube videos online and it seems like there is no consensus on the "best settings" ... I plan on editing my photos in lightroom and editing my videos in iMovie using their basic color correction tools so I'm open to all suggestions.

You don't 'have to' but if you want the best sharpness on your picture, you want to remove the ND filter.
(faster shutterspeed = less motion blur = sharper picture).

ND filters are mainly good for video to get a (slow) shutterspeed that matches double the framerate.
So if you shoot 25fps, you want a shutterspeed of 1/50s.
For video you want a little motion blur.

Other than that, ND filters don't do much.
(some exceptions when there is so much light that you can't get fast enough shutterspeed)

Some people confuse ND filters with graduate ND filters. These are not very widespread for drones, as you can't move the filter up and down while in the air and need to match the horizon with the gimbal, but that alters the composition)
2018-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules