Question regarding Visual Line of Sight
2084 12 2018-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Captain Mal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 337890 ft
United States

Still a newbie here. I keep seeing the term Visual Line of Sight mentioned here, and that you should not fly outside of that. I'm not disagreeing with it at all, but maybe my understanding of exactly what that means is wrong. To me, VLOS means always being able to actually see your drone. If that's the case, I can't see ever letting the drone get very far away since they're so small you would lose sight of it pretty quickly.

Is my understanding of that term wrong? Does it mean that you should just have a clear line of sight to where your drone is even though it may be too far away to see without a pair of binoculars? Something like flying straight out over water with no visual obstructions like trees or buildings?
2018-3-26
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Your first interpretation is the correct one and the legal obligation in most countries. You have to be able to see it with your eyes.
The second definition you gave is the technical requirement for a stable connection between RC and AC.
2018-3-26
Use props
integer
First Officer
Flight distance : 113355784 ft
Greece

which aircraft you have?
2018-3-26
Use props
Phantomflyer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1016486 ft

Being able to actually see your drone,  without the use of other visual aids, binoculars etc.. If you can no longer see the model in flight, it's simply beyond your VLOS.
2018-3-26
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

When it comes to legal stuff, my vision suddenly improves and my eye resolution switches to 0.0000001 arc seconds.
2018-3-26
Use props
Captain Mal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 337890 ft
United States

Thanks for the quick answers. I thought that was the case, but with so many people flying so far away they can't possibly see it, I wasn't 100% sure.

I have the Mavic Air. I know it's a little smaller than the pro, but it cant make that much difference when it's 8000 feet away.

2018-3-26
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 408606 ft
  • >>>
United States

Might help you to view this web site.  It's the FAA site and explains how you should fly as a hobbyist without getting yourself in trouble.  https://www.faa.gov/uas/faqs/

Some folks will get out there and fly not knowing, but you are taking the right steps in asking and researching.
2018-3-26
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

That was a very good question.
As usual the guys on the forum have all the right answers. Keep asking questions and they will set you right.

The main thing to know is to use common sense ,obey the rules, and fly safely.
2018-3-26
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

integer Posted at 2018-3-26 07:03
which aircraft you have?

Mavic Air.
2018-3-26
Use props
PS013
First Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

According to the FAA  ( https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_ ... _Model_Aircraft.pdf )

Visual line-of-sight:
While flying your drone you must to be able to see it at all times using only your natural vision (which includes glasses and contacts, but not first person view goggles or binoculars).  
2018-3-26
Use props
integer
First Officer
Flight distance : 113355784 ft
Greece

sorry, I didn't notice the avatar
2018-3-26
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

you can buy a strobe light and you can see your mavic at more distance
2018-3-26
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

The strobe is a good idea, but you'll need one on a four sides.  My MP is out of sight over a quarter mile away most of the time, due to glare.  A half mile is just a guess.  If you are looking at your drone and can look away and then find it again, you are in VLOS.  Otherwise, it's a guess and you are flying blind.  The (FPV) camera can only see a few degrees out the front, nothing from the sides or rear.
2018-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules