Mavic Air better distance on 5.8ghz than 2.4ghz?
16423 10 2018-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
realstreetuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7966 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I thought if you use the 2.4ghz on mavic air you get better signal than if you use the 5.8ghz?
well i went 1850 meters on 5.8ghz and only 1000 meters on 2.4ghz same trajectory?
I have before though got 1800 meters on 2.4ghz.
I picked a good channel as well but still go further with 5.8
any one else have the same issue?
Thanks
2018-3-26
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

First of all you should specify in which mode you are flying, CE or FCC, although your post suggests that you are in FCC mode.
2018-3-26
Use props
realstreetuk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-26 11:34
First of all you should specify in which mode you are flying, CE or FCC, although your post suggests that you are in FCC mode.

Hi
No I'm in CE mode I'm in the Uk
Can i ask why you thought i was in FCC mode?
Thanks for Reply
2018-3-26
Use props
Keule
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

The range depends on many factors such as:
- Frequency band used (2.4 GHz vs 5.8 GHz)
- Channel selection (auto/manual)
- WiFi congestion within those frequencies and channels
- Weather
- Time of day
- Alignment of your antenna
- Antenna type
- Elevation and flying height
- Obstacles in your line of sight

If there are many other 2.4GHz Wifi spots (Routers used for Internet access) around you, you might get better range with 5.8GHz since they are fewer and have higher attenuation due to shorter wavelength.

You have to find out by experimenting a little bit...
2018-3-26
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

realstreetuk Posted at 2018-3-26 11:53
Hi
No I'm in CE mode I'm in the Uk
Can i ask why you thought i was in FCC mode?

You wrote that you went 1850 meters on 5.8ghz, according to the specs only 500 are possible in CE mode, thus a fantastic result indeed. This is why I was wondering. The big advantage of 5.8ghz is that is is much less vulnerable to interference, just normally in CE mode the range is significantly shorter than in 2.4ghz. If it is the opposite for you, be happy!
2018-3-26
Use props
realstreetuk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-26 12:01
You wrote that you went 1850 meters on 5.8ghz, according to the specs only 500 are possible in CE mode, thus a fantastic result indeed. This is why I was wondering. The big advantage of 5.8ghz is that is is much less vulnerable to interference, just normally in CE mode the range is significantly shorter than in 2.4ghz. If it is the opposite for you, be happy!

yes thats what i was thinking im happy about it but i have had the same distance on 2.4ghz but then again it could have been in auto when i got that distance before. but i selected 5.8 manually and got the 1850 meters.
2018-3-26
Use props
realstreetuk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Keule Posted at 2018-3-26 12:01
The range depends on many factors such as:
- Frequency band used (2.4 GHz vs 5.8 GHz)
- Channel selection (auto/manual)

Thanks for info, but i have flown the same area to test and its mostly over fields. and just thought i'd get less distance with 5.8 as opposed to 2.4.
when i did the test today i went in same direction with same height around 100 meters and did better with 5.8 but also with the antenna range extenders over the rc antennas
Im not complaining but just was curious
thanks for input
2018-3-26
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

realstreetuk Posted at 2018-3-26 12:13
Thanks for info, but i have flown the same area to test and its mostly over fields. and just thought i'd get less distance with 5.8 as opposed to 2.4.
when i did the test today i went in same direction with same height around 100 meters and did better with 5.8 but also with the antenna range extenders over the rc antennas
Im not complaining but just was curious

Aha, here we go, you are using antenna range extenders. Would have been good to provide this information too from the outset ;-) But never mind...
2018-3-26
Use props
realstreetuk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-26 12:23
Aha, here we go, you are using antenna range extenders. Would have been good to provide this information too from the outset ;-) But never mind...

Yes I know sorry but i have got nearly the same distance without the extenders.
Because when i first flew the mavic air before i had the extenders i thought thats not bad distance?
to be honest they didnt make dramatic change but better knowing i can get better reception when flying close by so to speak?
2018-3-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

realstreetuk Posted at 2018-3-26 12:29
Yes I know sorry but i have got nearly the same distance without the extenders.
Because when i first flew the mavic air before i had the extenders i thought thats not bad distance?
to be honest they didnt make dramatic change but better knowing i can get better reception when flying close by so to speak?

The UK uses CE mode, and according to the specs, the max transmission distance on 5.8GHz could be 500 meters, please don't use the antennas extender.
The difference between 2.4 and 5.8GHz, I would say it is about the interference. Many WiFi and Bluetooth devices use 2.4GHz channels, so the interference on 2.4GHz would be great, 5.8GHz has cleaner channels.
For your case, if the distance reaches almost 2000 meters, it could be your environment is superb for flying.  
2018-3-26
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

That is how I fly the Spark.
2018-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules