Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Just a short first video using my new MA.
After the last update at my first flight a connection fail during flight, its all in this video
Cheers JJB

2018-3-27
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

I think it wanted to capture the birds passing by for you and enjoyed the beautiful scenery ;-) I am very happy that after all it returned safely! And the video is beautiful, thank you!
2018-3-27
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks Wachtberger, cannot wait to see al the flower bulbs fields in its colour!

Was little surprised by getting a connection fail. Red light on the RC and craft didn`t act on any input. (seems logical without a connection). But at the fail you can tab OK for the RTH, strange because after 3 seconds no connection it wil auto return. The little compass left bottom screen showed data al the time what the craft was doing! so there must be kind of connection still active.

cheers JJB
2018-3-27
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Now that is called open space! Nice vid dude!
2018-3-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Where you using FCC mode ?

Good job on the video.
2018-3-27
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Nice video. Thanks for sharing
2018-3-27
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

JJBspark Posted at 2018-3-27 06:58
Thanks Wachtberger, cannot wait to see al the flower bulbs fields in its colour!

Was little surprised by getting a connection fail. Red light on the RC and craft didn`t act on any input. (seems logical without a connection). But at the fail you can tab OK for the RTH, strange because after 3 seconds no connection it wil auto return. The little compass left bottom screen showed data al the time what the craft was doing! so there must be kind of connection still active.

No worries about not flying straight home.

If you lose connection with the Mavic Air, it will first go to RTH height, and then retrace your route you've flown. If connection is not reastablished within 60 seconds, then it will go straight to the homepoint.

2018-3-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent vid!      
2018-3-27
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-27 07:29
Where you using FCC mode ?

Good job on the video.

Why do you think i fly FCC?
xPolar.png
2018-3-27
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-27 08:40
No worries about not flying straight home.

If you lose connection with the Mavic Air, it will first go to RTH height, and then retrace your route you've flown. If connection is not reastablished within 60 seconds, then it will go straight to the homepoint.

Yes, i am aware of that new way of RTH...see if i can plot that flown rth route for 60 secs to check if my MA worked as advertised!

But let say my MA is on her way back toward the HP, looses it connection means it will fly for 60 secs away from the homepoint. After 60 secs it will turn around and fly back to me. Hope i will never see that happen ; cost me even more gray hairs!

cheers JJB
2018-3-27
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft

Not having an AIR, the question begs to be asked, can you disable the track-back feature and have a standard RTH route directly back?  Except in special circumstances, I would leave the track-back turned off if it was switchable.

One thing I did notice was a stability issue in the gimbal toward the end.  Hopefully you noticed that too.  At that point, it is time to land immediately and reboot all systems to see if the stability returns.  Bad things can happen when you start seeing things like that.

As for the connection issue, it appears you only lost video, not controllability.  The bandwidth needed for video is much greater than passing plain data for control and telemetry.  You probably had pretty good access to control the whole way.

Glad it worked out for the good, but be very careful when things start falling apart.  It's time to find out why and try to correct it immediately.
2018-3-27
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

JJBspark Posted at 2018-3-27 10:23
Yes, i am aware of that new way of RTH...see if i can plot that flown rth route for 60 secs to check if my MA worked as advertised!

But let say my MA is on her way back toward the HP, looses it connection means it will fly for 60 secs away from the homepoint. After 60 secs it will turn around and fly back to me. Hope i will never see that happen ; cost me even more gray hairs!

Superb   At least you know what its gonna do when flying towards you and the craft loses signal ;)

If you would like some backup cover in testing, we could hook up if you like to, I'm in the neighborhoud
2018-3-27
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Great video and well returned home after all.
2018-3-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJBspark Posted at 2018-3-27 10:18
Why do you think i fly FCC?

I thought from this post.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=260008
2018-3-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJBspark Posted at 2018-3-27 10:23

But let say my MA is on her way back toward the HP, looses it connection means it will fly for 60 secs away from the homepoint. After 60 secs it will turn around and fly back to me. Hope i will never see that happen ; cost me even more gray hairs!

It doesn’t have connection so it can’t really lose it, in failsafe RTH there is no connection with RC.
2018-3-27
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-3-27 10:52
Not having an AIR, the question begs to be asked, can you disable the track-back feature and have a standard RTH route directly back?  Except in special circumstances, I would leave the track-back turned off if it was switchable.

One thing I did notice was a stability issue in the gimbal toward the end.  Hopefully you noticed that too.  At that point, it is time to land immediately and reboot all systems to see if the stability returns.  Bad things can happen when you start seeing things like that.

Yes i have noted the gimbal stabilty, its written in the video, If i remember right the gimbal mode will change from follow to FPV in wich case you see yaw movements like this. (will check-out where i have read that info)

About controls, not sure if i had full controls. ( i know about only video loose signal cause of bandwidth).
Is it normal to see the green light on the RC turn into red when its disconnected??

cheers JJB
2018-3-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice video.
Good you got it back in 1 piece
2018-3-27
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Excellent video. Sure is a lot of beautiful  scenery.

Just wondering if when you lost connection, I saw that you were going closer to the ground.
Could there be iron pipes or other metals used for irrigation that could of affected the MA? I noticed at 3:26 there was what looked to be some type of underground water transfer from one side to the  other.

Glad to see the MA came home. Nothing better then a safe return.
2018-3-27
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

JJBspark Posted at 2018-3-27 11:41
Yes i have noted the gimbal stabilty, its written in the video, If i remember right the gimbal mode will change from follow to FPV in wich case you see yaw movements like this. (will check-out where i have read that info)

About controls, not sure if i had full controls. ( i know about only video loose signal cause of bandwidth).

Again, I don't have the AIR, so I can't say about the LED indication you're speaking of.
2018-3-27
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-27 12:57

Just wondering if when you lost connection, I saw that you were going closer to the ground.

Very good observation! You have to know that in major parts of the Netherlands they are pumping 7/7 24/24 because otherwise half of the country would be flooded being located below sea level. Dear Dutch friends here, please do not feel offended now, my other Dutch friends have told me this. ;-)
2018-3-27
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-27 13:06
Very good observation! You have to know that in major parts of the Netherlands they are pumping 7/7 24/24 because otherwise half of the country would be flooded being located below sea level. Dear Dutch friends here, please do not feel offended now, my other Dutch friends have told me this. ;-)

I thought the land was protected and keep dry this way.

By a fictional story of the little Dutch boy plugging a dike .
2018-3-27
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi JJB, thank you for sharing the beautiful scenery with us. I'm sorry to hear about the disconnection issue during the flight, it might be caused by the magnetic interference of the environment, please make sure you have updated the latest firmware for the drone and the remote controller success: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 6orderby%3Ddateline, it is recommended to change another open area, where the GPS is good and no magnetic interference, to fly the drone again. If there is any further issue, please feel free to let us know, we're here for help. Thanks!
2018-3-27
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Diana, i do not believe that  magn interference will close the connection completely. I have seen so many other flight files where DJI suggest magn problems wich lead to errors on the screen etc. Not in closing down the connection Craft - RC. Yes, i have all the latetst updates and firmware installed. This area is a open area as you can see, have flown there many times now with my Spark and MA.
Is it normal when only the video transmission is lost the light on the RC becomes Red? In my case it turned Red but the little compass arrow did show the MA movements....
Can you explain that Diana?

Cheers JJB
2018-3-27
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-27 12:57

Mayby u have a point. But most of the modern pipes are not made from metal in Holland.
2018-3-27
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-27 13:06

Yes but most of all the low-land water area are connected wich each other, no pumps are used.
Only at the outskirts of water area`s are big pumps facility`s.
cheers JJB
2018-3-27
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-27 11:00
Superb   At least you know what its gonna do when flying towards you and the craft loses signal ;)

If you would like some backup cover in testing, we could hook up if you like to, I'm in the neighborhoud

Hi LoSBol, guess you recognized the area shown at the video?
At the moment busy re-wrting my analysis programm, so busy with flying and using pieces of flight info to implement in my program. Do you have by any chance a flightrecord file when controlling your drone with a mobile device? if yes, please send me that file.
Cheers JJB
2018-3-27
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

JJBspark Posted at 2018-3-27 23:22
Hi LoSBol, guess you recognized the area shown at the video?
At the moment busy re-wrting my analysis programm, so busy with flying and using pieces of flight info to implement in my program. Do you have by any chance a flightrecord file when controlling your drone with a mobile device? if yes, please send me that file.
Cheers JJB

Yes, I know the area quite well, ride my bike there often. Fascinating to see from above.
Sounds like good fun in writing an analysis program, did you miss info with the already available webprograms that made  you decide to write one?
Haven't flown with just a mobile device, so it would be a new experience for me. But then again, this is a nice motivation in doing so. to bad today it looks like we went to autumn again... probably this weekend I'll get a change to fly again. I'll keep you updated.
2018-3-28
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-28 05:48
Yes, I know the area quite well, ride my bike there often. Fascinating to see from above.
Sounds like good fun in writing an analysis program, did you miss info with the already available webprograms that made  you decide to write one?
Haven't flown with just a mobile device, so it would be a new experience for me. But then again, this is a nice motivation in doing so. to bad today it looks like we went to autumn again... probably this weekend I'll get a change to fly again. I'll keep you updated.

Yes, writing your own programm is always better.....
Riding  a motorcycle is just little more fun than flying a drone! Own a bike myself, started at the age of 17.
Great to see a file using a phone a controller, thanks in advannce. Cheers JJB
2018-3-28
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

JJBspark Posted at 2018-3-28 05:59
Yes, writing your own programm is always better.....
Riding  a motorcycle is just little more fun than flying a drone! Own a bike myself, started at he age of 17 :-0
Great to see a file using a phone a controller, thanks in advannce. Cheers JJB

Sweet, I like doing both, and can't wait to do combine the two, the MA will be in the tankbag from now on
I waited till 25 from riding to lose some wild hairs first. Now nearly 40 and just started flying drones. To bad both flying and riding doesn't go well with the weather we're having.
2018-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules