Filters needed for still photos?
442 4 2018-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dp55
lvl.2
United States

Curious, if I will not be doing video, for now anyways and concentrating more on still photos.
Is it really necessary to use the nd / polarizing filters if I will be processing in Lightroom?
Thanks!
2018-3-27
Use props
0Kajuna0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 267126 ft
Spain

Mostly not. Polarising filters can be useful for darkening reflections and the sky, but I wouldn't say they are really necessary in many situations. You also need to know how to position them, so you could get one and learn with it, but it's not essential.

You would only need ND filters if you wanted to create motion blur, for example while following a subject, have the subject defined and a blurry background.
2018-3-27
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

there are polar pro filters VIVID with ND and PL in one, I always flying with the ND16+PL.
2018-3-27
Use props
dp55
lvl.2
United States

Jos A Posted at 2018-3-27 22:33
there are polar pro filters VIVID with ND and PL in one, I always flying with the ND16+PL.

This is what I have: Polar Pro Filters DJI Mavic Filters-Cinema Series-Vivid Collection
Do you use for video only or for your stills as well. Just curious if there is really an advantage
to have for the stills only?
2018-3-28
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

There's not much advantage in using filters for stills. Polarizers can cut haze, but as they need to be adjusted for a given shot are not really all that practical in flight for general use.

I guess if there was one vantage point you were trying to get, you could repeatedly adjust, return to position, test, and repeat as needed, but that's a lot of work for most people. YMMV.

2018-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules