First flight indoors. Won't move forward or back.
8212 10 2018-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marcel_911
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18901 ft
United Kingdom

I just received the Air on Monday but am working all day/week so it's too dark when I get home  to go outside so I tried it in the air in my kitchen just to see if it works.

It takes off and hovers ok, I can rotate it with the left stick and the right stick will move it side to side, but forward and back on the right stick does nothing.

Is this because there is no GPS? Am I doing something wrong?

2018-3-27
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Flying inside is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Are the obstacle sensors giving you a warning in the DJI GO app?
2018-3-27
Use props
marcel_911
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18901 ft
United Kingdom

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-3-27 15:13
Flying inside is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Are the obstacle sensors giving you a warning in the DJI GO app?

Well I was using the prop guards just in case.

It is a small kitchen. You may have found the problem. I suppose it makes sense as there are no sensors on the sides. I bet thats was it.

It's hard to wait until the weekend.
2018-3-27
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-3-27 15:13

"Flying inside is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing"

Such as flying drone into bathroom, while your girlfriend is in shower?  

And not having planned your escape route?  

2018-3-27
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

marcel_911 Posted at 2018-3-27 15:18
Double-Post Ignore
2018-3-27
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

marcel_911 Posted at 2018-3-27 15:18

It is a small kitchen. You may have found the problem. I suppose it makes sense as there are no sensors on the sides. I bet thats was it.

I have seen that problem.  
Flew around fine in living room.  
Refused to fly around in kitchen.  Perhaps drone was scared of Microwave?
2018-3-27
Use props
fans0521f91d
lvl.2
Canada

Its the obstacle avoidance kicking in, turn it all off and switch your drone to tripod mode so it moves slowly and carefully and try again.  You can also flip it to sport mode, that will turn all that off but it is very responsive in that mode and you have to be very gentle and slow and careful on the controls.  I don't recommend the second option if you are new to drones at all.
2018-3-27
Use props
Sea Parrot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89154 ft

Forward and backward sensors detect objects too close for safe flight forwards and backwards - hence the drone won't move.

Indoor flying is definitely something that should only be done by very experienced drone flyers who fully understand the reduction or complete removal of inbuilt aircraft protection due to no GPS, lower light levels and erratic magnetic fields which can cause the two compasses in a MA to get confused.
2018-3-27
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Sea Parrot Posted at 2018-3-27 16:02
Forward and backward sensors detect objects too close for safe flight forwards and backwards - hence the drone won't move.

Indoor flying is definitely something that should only be done by very experienced drone flyers who fully understand the reduction or complete removal of inbuilt aircraft protection due to no GPS, lower light levels and erratic magnetic fields which can cause the two compasses in a MA to get confused.

"Indoor flying is definitely something that should only be done by very experienced drone flyers "

I got to laugh.  My first three flights with Mavic Pro were inside.  And it was my first time flying a drone, evah.
Next three flights were on south side of backyard.  Bbetween a tall fence and house.  Chosen to mitigate wind issues.
No crashes.  

2018-3-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sea Parrot Posted at 2018-3-27 16:02

Indoor flying is definitely something that should only be done by very experienced drone flyers who fully understand the reduction or complete removal of inbuilt aircraft protection due to no GPS, lower light levels and erratic magnetic fields which can cause the two compasses in a MA to get confused.

You are correct although others might laugh about it. You are advised in your manual to start learning to fly in open spaces, and most drone pilots will tell you to learn to fly outdoors before attempting to fly indoors.
It’s good advice for those who wish to listen.

You can tell how smart people are by what they are laughing at. ;-)-/\<>
2018-3-27
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi Marcel, have you tried it outdoor? You are recommended to choose an outdoor open area where the GPS is good, no magnetic interference, to fly the drone and check if all the functions are normal. Please take good care of your drone and enjoy the flying. Thanks!
2018-3-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules