Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Dust, leg extensions, and landing pads
1174 21 2018-3-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HighMesa
lvl.4
United States

My thoughts on dust, leg extensions, and landing pads....

The Air will not fit in the compact DJI case with the PgyTech legs on. I find this case very useful because it fits into my backpack and has provided acceptable protection from falls.

I can put the PgyTech legs on in about 20 seconds and remove them in about 15 seconds. This does not include forgetting to put them in my gallon Ziploc with the controller or having them fly off and get lost in rocks, vegetation, etc.

Also, working with the legs requires fine motor skills that degrade with stress, fatigue, cold, heat, high wind, etc.

The legs provide a good lift kit, raising the Air from a low rider to a monster truck of sorts. However, in a high dust environment they reduce but don't eliminate the dust cloud.

I can pull my pad (an automobile sun shade) and four bean bags out of my pack and have it ready to go in about 20 seconds. Same for stowing it away.

I have started practicing a new sequence where I fold the bags up inside the pad. This saves several seconds.

Handling the pad and bags does not require fine motor skills and there are no small parts to lose.

The pad is minimal bulk in my pack. The bean bags are around a pound and stuff well. Not great but I have come to believe the pad is worthwhile in my conditions which are 90% dusty.

With improved operations skills, I can set up the pad, launch, pack the pad away, ride, unpack the pad, recover the aircraft, and pack the pad away again in a short time.

So, my conclusion for my operating conditions.... I would rather use the pad instead of the legs because the pad takes a reasonable amount of time to use and basically eliminates the dust cloud.

Just tossing this out as food for thought that others might find useful in doing their own analysis.

Lift kit

Lift kit
Pad_RED.jpg
2018-3-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good info      
2018-3-28
Use props
HighMesa
lvl.4
United States

Thanks, glad you found it helpful
2018-3-28
Use props
HighMesa
lvl.4
United States

This is my favorite video to date. Obviously very dusty conditions. If you look closely you can see the landing pad. I had not started removing it from the scene. Best viewed at 1080P.

2018-3-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great views - cool footage mate
2018-3-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting read.
I so far did not consider legs, since they alter the dynamics of the drone and don't really help that much when it comes to dust.
The thing they do help is preventing the camera from scratching the surface underneath.
But a Pad also helps for that since the surface is made a bit more smooth.
Just my opinion of course.
2018-3-28
Use props
HighMesa
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-28 06:05
Great views - cool footage mate

Thank you for the feedback.

The sequence with the ocean in the background really convinced me that ActiveTrack Profile mode is great with some kind of skyline in the background.

But this often means you have to fly low with the camera pitched up... and collision avoidance does not work to the sides ;)
2018-3-28
Use props
HighMesa
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-28 06:45
Interesting read.
I so far did not consider legs, since they alter the dynamics of the drone and don't really help that much when it comes to dust.
The thing they do help is preventing the camera from scratching the surface underneath.

Thanks!

Good point... and DJI does not recommend leg extensions. So from my perspective those are more arguments against extenders.
2018-3-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

HighMesa Posted at 2018-3-28 06:58
Thanks!

Good point... and DJI does not recommend leg extensions. So from my perspective those are more arguments against extenders.

True.
I forgot to mention that.
I think either a soft pad OR hard case to take off and land from is best.
2018-3-28
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Very nice footage!  How I would love to learn dirtbike riding. Tried it once, but the lack of experience showed

As for the landingpad/landing extenders opinions, I have a landingpad comming my way, but I think the leg extenders will be used more frequently.

Mainly because I almost always 'move' when flying and therefore never land at the take-off point. For me personally its easier to fly with the extenders. I don't see myself launching, picking up, folding the landingpad, tagging it along with me and setting it up again when I intend to land.
2018-3-28
Use props
HighMesa
lvl.4
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-28 07:12
Very nice footage!  How I would love to learn dirtbike riding. Tried it once, but the lack of experience showed

As for the landingpad/landing extenders opinions, I have a landingpad comming my way, but I think the leg extenders will be used more frequently.

One challenge with dirt biking is I cannot hear the aircraft. MTB does not have that problem but I ride so slow that it just does not have the visual effect.

I would not have believed I could work the pad fast, but practice really helps.
2018-3-28
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

HighMesa Posted at 2018-3-28 07:20
One challenge with dirt biking is I cannot hear the aircraft. MTB does not have that problem but I ride so slow that it just does not have the visual effect.

I would not have believed I could work the pad fast, but practice really helps.

I think I'll hold off 'follow my bike' untill there is a descent dynamic homepoint implementation. Hope it gets it before the season starts
2018-3-28
Use props
V_kingo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 310157 ft
Chile

Why not Hand Lauch/Hand Catch?
2018-3-28
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-28 06:45
Interesting read.

I use both pad and leg extensions. . For both reasons Montfrooij stated. Gimbal and camera protection and sand.

On the subject of dirt biking. In my younger days I did my riding in the snow and on ice. Many times took a fall and found out snow is lot more forgiving then dirt.
2018-3-28
Use props
Bill-Fly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70722 ft
United States

For the price of legs, you could have just purchased a real landing pad that doesn't need bean bags.But then yours gave me a good laugh.
2018-3-28
Use props
HighMesa
lvl.4
United States

Bill-Fly Posted at 2018-3-28 11:41
For the price of legs, you could have just purchased a real landing pad that doesn't need bean bags.But then yours gave me a good laugh.

Two questions about the commercial pads:

Does the heavy band prevent the pad from being folded up as tightly as mine?

Does a light band and beanbags provide more flexibility on uneven surfaces and slopes?

I suspect the answers are no and yes. So I have not purchased a commercial pad, at least yet. I often build or modify gear to my own specific needs.

After reading the reviews, I decided to evaluate the legs. I'm glad I formed my own impressions, but I have returned them for a refund.

I'm happy that others find the legs useful. They seem ideal for urban pavement and grass surfaces where the goal is to raise the gimbal and dust is a minimal concern.
2018-3-28
Use props
Bill-Fly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70722 ft
United States

My number one concern is also keeping camera clean and I like your creativeness.
The commercial pad folds flat to 1/4  full size.( by twisting it coils up)
I would not land on an uneven surface.
2018-4-3
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HighMesa Posted at 2018-3-28 06:58
Thanks!

Had an issue with my MP where taking the legs off took one of the black pads from the bottom of the foot. Contacted support in the NL and they sent me new ones out. Been cautious whether or not to use them since.....Hence the purchase of a landing pad. Don't get me wrong, many people use them with no issues at all. I still have them in my accessory pouch in my backpack.
2018-4-3
Use props
HighMesa
lvl.4
United States

Bill-Fly Posted at 2018-4-3 04:47
My number one concern is also keeping camera clean and I like your creativeness.
The commercial pad folds flat to 1/4  full size.( by twisting it coils up)
I would not land on an uneven surface.

Thanks.

Sometimes the only surfaces available are uneven ;)
2018-4-3
Use props
sky6105
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345653 ft

Nice video footage where is this taken.
2018-4-3
Use props
cspain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

Most landing pads I have seen come with stakes to hold them down. I guess there are some surfaces where weights might be better, but your pad seems all wonky. Try on of these:
2018-4-3
Use props
cspain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

Most landing pads I have seen come with stakes to hold them down. I guess there are some surfaces where weights might be better, but your pad seems all wonky. Try on of these: http://a.co/cJZE5ZY
2018-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules