1283 10 2018-3-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mixchief
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

If I have the gimbal removed and I'm flying blind, do I also loose my telemetry? Is the telemetry data dependant on the visual data too?
2018-3-28
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft

Interesting  question .... from my understanding the telemetry is collated by the IMU from the gps, compass and barometer  etc and the camera is totally separate . early models  did not have cameras/gimbals .
Having said that i couldn't tell you  what effect removing the gimbal would have on the  ac , it may flag up issues with the firmware and  prevent "normal flight " ?
2018-3-28
Use props
mixchief
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-3-28 10:04
Interesting  question .... from my understanding the telemetry is collated by the IMU from the gps, compass and barometer  etc and the camera is totally separate . early models  did not have cameras/gimbals .
Having said that i couldn't tell you  what effect removing the gimbal would have on the  ac , it may flag up issues with the firmware and  prevent "normal flight " ?

well, I just took apart one an there are 2 antenna wires that go to the gimbal from the airframe or, vice versa. I flew the beast double blind because it doesn't connect to the app since I removed the gimbal, so I'm assuming the leads go to an antenna that lives in the gimbal? It seemed pretty strange to me too as I was under the impression antennas were in the legs like on the inspire.
2018-3-28
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft

i think your right about the antennas , i have a spare pair of  legs and they have 2 antennas  and the 2 compasses fitted .
not sure what your other wires would be for  can you take a photo and maybe someone here could identify them for you?
2018-3-28
Use props
mixchief
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-3-28 10:56
i think your right about the antennas , i have a spare pair of  legs and they have 2 antennas  and the 2 compasses fitted .
not sure what your other wires would be for  can you take a photo and maybe someone here could identify them for you?

Yeah, I'll try to take it tonight. I also screwed up, the wires were atached with those little tiny connectors and I broke them off, so I'll probably have to solder them in when time comes to put it together again IF I can fix the gimbal, If not I'll have to get a seeing eye dog for the phantom
2018-3-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

That's quite normal.
Remove the camera and you lose all video including telemetry.
2018-3-28
Use props
mixchief
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-3-28 13:18
That's quite normal.
Remove the camera and you lose all video including telemetry.

It's all I needed to know
2018-3-28
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

mixchief Posted at 2018-3-28 13:20
It's all I needed to know

If you decide to re-install the gimbal, get new antenna cables, they are not expensive.
2018-3-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

If you are referring Phantom 3 Standard, there will be no OSD when flying without the gimbal. But the telemetry will be saved on the flight data on the drone.
BTW, if no gimbal installed, rebinding the drone doesn't work, so if the drone is disconnected to the RC, they will not link together.
Warm prompt, we don't recommend self-repairing for the concern of the flight performance and stability, send the drone in for repair if needed. https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
2018-3-28
Use props
mixchief
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-3-28 19:36
If you are referring Phantom 3 Standard, there will be no OSD when flying without the gimbal. But the telemetry will be saved on the flight data on the drone.
BTW, if no gimbal installed, rebinding the drone doesn't work, so if the drone is disconnected to the RC, they will not link together.
Warm prompt, we don't recommend self-repairing for the concern of the flight performance and stability, send the drone in for repair if needed. https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area

So the repair will cost as much or more than buying a new one, hmmm, defeats the purpose of the repair.
2018-3-28
Use props
flyhigh69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75079 ft

United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-3-28 19:36
If you are referring Phantom 3 Standard, there will be no OSD when flying without the gimbal. But the telemetry will be saved on the flight data on the drone.

Just down load some schematics and you can do it yourself. It was taken apart, it can be be put together,
And you are right it would cost just as much. I myself would do it myself.
2018-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules