Missing Colors in Photos and Videos - Hardware or Software failure?
667 10 2018-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
michaelulm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38445 ft
Germany

Hi,

I have a Mavic Air since two weeks and I observe a very strange behaviour. In some areas colors are missing in my final footage (4K, mp4).

I've uploaded one video to youtube where you can see that colors are missing:

Video 2
another video where you can see how colors are coming and going when rotating the aircraft

Panorama
In the following panorama you can see that color is missing around the center of the image:

panorama.JPG

Screenshot of Video (final footage):
Colors are missing in some places, but are correct in other places
video_screenshot.png

Same video, in my DJI_RECORD folder on Android:
colors are correct everywhere
cache_image.png

DJI support said I should replace the aircraft, but can this really by a hardware failure?

Thanks for your help.

2018-3-29
Use props
XAFAfterShock
Second Officer
Flight distance : 40771 ft
United States

what camera settings were you using, whitebalance, iso, shutterspeed, were you using d-cinelike or a custom style settings?
2018-3-29
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Check your camera settings.
2018-3-29
Use props
michaelulm
lvl.1
Germany

Hi,

my camera settings are:

4K/24fps; MP4; AWB; Style: none; Color: none.

I resetted the settings a few times and the error occured even at flight number one, without any adjustments made to the settings.

As you can see the colors are correct when shooting RAW-Photos or in the video folder (DJI_RECORD) on my android smartphone.
2018-3-29
Use props
cspain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

Turn off AWB and set it to one of the presets or set it manually. In fact, I would make sure everything is on manual:
AWB - put on preset like "Sunny"
ISO - 100
Turn on histogram
Set the shutter speed until the histogram peaks near the center (do this while in the air).
2018-3-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks like white balance issue to me.
2018-3-29
Use props
michaelulm
lvl.1
Germany

Sorry, I already tried different AWB settings and it didn't get any better.

How could this even be a white balance issue? If the color temperature is too high the entire image would be warmer (more orange), if the color temperature is too low the entire image would be colder (more blue).
2018-3-29
Use props
michaelulm
lvl.1
Germany

Hi, i have another example to show the effect. Although the wall on the left is slightly brown: Even if I increase saturation in After Effects 90% there's almost no color information.
2018-3-30
Use props
Kevjones1959
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61932 ft

South Africa

You say the RAW file has the correct color information ? If so then it's more than likely a software issue not hardware. Unless the MOV mode is using a completely different chip.
2018-3-30
Use props
michaelulm
lvl.1
Germany

Yes, photos shot in RAW-format have perfectly valid colors. I would also think that it's a software bug, but it seems I'm the only one experiencing this issue, which points to a strange hardware bug. I didn't find anything related online, even for different models.
2018-3-30
Use props
michaelulm
lvl.1
Germany

I received my replacement unit today after shipping it to DJI Europe last tuesday – that's was much faster than I expected. I took the same picture again and colors are now much more accurate, even in low light conditions.

2018-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules