Do I or Don't I?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Oscar Myer
lvl.2
Malaysia

Greetings all!!!

After wanting one for so long I got myself a brand new Phantom 4 the other day.  It is technically still in the box.  I've turned it on in the house a couple of times but have not attempted to fly it outdorrs as of yet.  Because I've never flown a drone before there's a bit of anxiety involved as I consider the price I paid for it.  It would really be a drag if I crashed it the first time out. Seems that threre's so much to learn.   That and the fact that there is still quite a bit of snow on the ground here in Montreal, Canada.

I've been reading so many horror stories from people who are having so many problems after upgrading their firmware.  My question is, should I update my firmware before taking my P4 out for it's first flight or should I leave the factory settings as they are?

Any help I can get from all you seasoned pros out there would be greatly appreciated.  

Bobby

2018-3-29
Use props
Oscar Myer
lvl.2
Malaysia

Opps... I clicked on "Phamton 4 advanced"... this is certainly NOT the case!!!
2018-3-29
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

While you're waiting for the snow to clear read through the Manual  (A good bookmark, loads of info' on that page) a couple of times. Pay particular attention to the section on Return To Home (RTH). You shouldn't really rely on it, but if it initiates for some reason then you need to know exactly what to expect and what control you have.
So start off in a wide open area, no trees or obstructions, leave it in beginner mode for the first few flights until you build up confidence that it usually does what it says on the tin.

I would leave any upgrades for a week or two, to prove that there's nothing wrong initially when first unboxed. For most the latest builds for the P4 are stable and have overcome some problems that have been plaguing the P4 since last July.

Always fly with fully charged batteries, and during cold weather do not ignore any battery temperature warnings, let aircraft hover beside you for a minute or two to let batteries warm up a bit so that they can deliver the current for the load required.

Oh, and, have fun
2018-3-29
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Don't hold me responsible if anything happens but I always update the FW to the latest version using DJI Assistant 2 on my MacBook. Same as the latest IOS and GO 4 app versions too. Congrats on your new purchase - I suggest reading the manual thoroughly and watching the tutorials as part of your prep then find a quiet, wide open area and start flying - small steps to begin with (in beginner mode) then allow your confidence to build. You'll be recording 4K video at 400' AGL then flying around at 45MPH a mile away soon enough - just take your time learning it. You don't get in a car for the first time and drive down a motorway at 80MPH on your first lesson...
2018-3-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I did update everything before taking off.
But that is just me.....
Worked perfectly though.
2018-3-29
Use props
Oscar Myer
lvl.2
Malaysia

Thanks so much for the replies!!!  As for what mode I'll start off in... beginner mode has already been selected and will probably stay that way for quite a while.  
I've already figured out on my own that reading the manual is a must.  I started reading it the other day and got as far as page 30.  I have a couple of hours free today and plan on starting over at page one - just to refresh my memory.  The old brain is just a tad slower than it used to be.  
DJI Assistant 2 has already been installed on my Windows 10 PC.  But when I start it up without the RC and P4 turned on it tells me to plug in my "Aspire".  Is something wrong with the installation or does my equipment need to be turned on for Assistant 2 to see my P4 instead of Aspire?
2018-3-29
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oscar Myer Posted at 2018-3-29 06:20
Thanks so much for the replies!!!  As for what mode I'll start off in... beginner mode has already been selected and will probably stay that way for quite a while.  
I've already figured out on my own that reading the manual is a must.  I started reading it the other day and got as far as page 30.  I have a couple of hours free today and plan on starting over at page one - just to refresh my memory.  The old brain is just a tad slower than it used to be.  
DJI Assistant 2 has already been installed on my Windows 10 PC.  But when I start it up without the RC and P4 turned on it tells me to plug in my "Aspire".  Is something wrong with the installation or does my equipment need to be turned on for Assistant 2 to see my P4 instead of Aspire?

"Is something wrong with the installation or does my equipment need to be turned on for Assistant 2 to see my P4 instead of Aspire?"

That's correct, it needs to see your aircraft connected and powered up.

It's a notification for those with an Inspire as the connection needs to be activated on the Inspire, that's why it is shown as default.
2018-3-29
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

It should have been tested before being shipped, so it should fly perfectly. I would definitely not update until you have learned your expensive purchase inside and out.  Start out slow and take baby steps.
2018-3-29
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

I'd also recommend that you watch the tutorial vidoes that are our on Youtube.

There's some really good ones that take you through initial and safe flights,  to more sophisticated flights (including ATTI mode flight) as you gain experience.

It may seem silly when they recommend flying a small circle,  or flying a rectangle pattern -- but there's a good reason for the small steps -- experience and confidence.

I watched a series of these training videos before I ever flew my P3.   It really helped when I actually got into the field and I was more confident as to what the drone would do (and wouldn't do).

Sid
2018-3-29
Use props
Oscar Myer
lvl.2
Malaysia

Aardvark Posted at 2018-3-29 06:55
"Is something wrong with the installation or does my equipment need to be turned on for Assistant 2 to see my P4 instead of Aspire?"

That's correct, it needs to see your aircraft connected and powered up.

Thanks so much for clearing this up for me!!!
2018-3-29
Use props
Oscar Myer
lvl.2
Malaysia

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-3-29 07:16
It should have been tested before being shipped, so it should fly perfectly. I would definitely not update until you have learned your expensive purchase inside and out.  Start out slow and take baby steps.

Yes... expensive purchase indeed.  Therefore I want to know as much about it before I even take it out of the box.  I was thinking about getting one of those $200 toys at first.  But when I saw the difference between the P4 and all those cheaper ones I decided that I wasn't going to waste $200 on something that I'd only want to upgrade in a month or less.
2018-3-29
Use props
Oscar Myer
lvl.2
Malaysia

sidtx Posted at 2018-3-29 07:28
I'd also recommend that you watch the tutorial vidoes that are our on Youtube.

There's some really good ones that take you through initial and safe flights,  to more sophisticated flights (including ATTI mode flight) as you gain experience.

Yes... I have been watching hours of YouTube since last week.  I've even watched some of them 2 and 3 times.  I also have the manual on my desktop and am making good use of it.
2018-3-29
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

What exactly is your Avatar?
2018-3-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hello Oscar, welcome to join the Phantom club!
As the above mentioned, it's always a good habit to read the manual thoroughly. Feel free to ask your questions here if you have any doubts.
Also, practice makes perfect. With some hands-on experience, you will know better the drone's performance.
2018-3-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I only have Two words. Flight SIM. Haha

RedHotPoker
2018-3-29
Use props
Oscar Myer
lvl.2
Malaysia

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-3-29 11:59
What exactly is your Avatar?

I guess it may have looked a bit better before I had to crop it to fit my avatar.  Perhaps I'll have to use something else.

2018-3-30
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oscar Myer Posted at 2018-3-29 06:20
I've already figured out on my own that reading the manual is a must.  I started reading it the other day and got as far as page 30.  I have a couple of hours free today and plan on starting over at page one - just to refresh my memory.  The old brain is just a tad slower than it used to be.  
DJI Assistant 2 has already been installed on my Windows 10 PC.  But when I start it up without the RC and P4 turned on it tells me to plug in my "Aspire".  Is something wrong with the installation or does my equipment need to be turned on for Assistant 2 to see my P4 instead of Aspire?

Be aware, some folks with Windows 10, myself included, have had an issue with Assistant 2 device drivers not being installed. If that is the case, your Phantom will never be detected by Assistant 2. The fix is easy, uninstall Assistant 2, then follow the steps to allow unsigned drivers, then reinstall Assistant 2.  
https://www.maketecheasier.com/i ... -drivers-windows10/
2018-3-30
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oscar Myer Posted at 2018-3-30 05:39
I guess it may have looked a bit better before I had to crop it to fit my avatar.  Perhaps I'll have to use something else.

[view_image]

Awesome Cat!  
2018-3-30
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Before you update the fw, check to see what versions you have post a screen shot of the about page in the app settings on this thread, we do know of issues on certain FW and if you have one of those then it would be prudent to update...
2018-3-30
Use props
Oscar Myer
lvl.2
Malaysia

Bashy Posted at 2018-3-30 20:25
Before you update the fw, check to see what versions you have post a screen shot of the about page in the app settings on this thread, we do know of issues on certain FW and if you have one of those then it would be prudent to update...

Here's a reply from a complete newb... sorry if it sounds stupid but... I don't know how to post a screen shot.  Mebbe you can help me out with that?  (this is another reason why I haven't flown my drone yet
2018-3-31
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Might be easier for  you just to type it out for now
2018-3-31
Use props
Oscar Myer
lvl.2
Malaysia

Bashy Posted at 2018-3-31 20:59
Might be easier for  you just to type it out for now

Yeah... I suppose you're right.  I have enough to learn about flying.  If I have to learn about posting screen shots as well, that might be overload on this old brain.

2018-4-1
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

My first Phantom (P3A) sat in the box for 3 weeks before I had the courage to unveil it to the wife. During that period i practiced with a Syma X5 outside and a small inside drone. I also read the P3A manual a couple of times until I was fairly comfortable with the idea of flying an $800 machine.
2018-4-1
Use props
Oscar Myer
lvl.2
Malaysia

m1shootr Posted at 2018-4-1 09:22
My first Phantom (P3A) sat in the box for 3 weeks before I had the courage to unveil it to the wife. During that period i practiced with a Syma X5 outside and a small inside drone. I also read the P3A manual a couple of times until I was fairly comfortable with the idea of flying an $800 machine.

I know what you mean about having the nerve to show it to the wife.  When I first bought it I thought about sneaking in through my workshop.  But then I figured that she's going to know about it for sure somewhere down the line.  So I manned up and brought it straight in to show her.  I went through the old, what are you doing wasting money on something like that? ... and so on.  The next day, once she cooled down she came around and was even talking about coming with me when I fly it.  

My plan was to take it up today for the first time,  but the wind is blowing too hard and it's rather cold.  This week for sure!!!
2018-4-1
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>

Oscar Myer Posted at 2018-4-1 12:46
I know what you mean about having the nerve to show it to the wife.  When I first bought it I thought about sneaking in through my workshop.  But then I figured that she's going to know about it for sure somewhere down the line.  So I manned up and brought it straight in to show her.  I went through the old, what are you doing wasting money on something like that? ... and so on.  The next day, once she cooled down she came around and was even talking about coming with me when I fly it.  

My plan was to take it up today for the first time,  but the wind is blowing too hard and it's rather cold.  This week for sure!!!

Oscar, strike while the drone is hot and buy her a Mavic

Accept that somewhere along the way you're going to run into a problem (yep bad pun intended) but don't let worrying about crashing ruin getting out there and in the air. Besides, snow is soft right?
2018-4-1
Use props
Oscar Myer
lvl.2
Malaysia

sky wombat Posted at 2018-4-1 13:46
Oscar, strike while the drone is hot and buy her a Mavic

Accept that somewhere along the way you're going to run into a problem (yep bad pun intended) but don't let worrying about crashing ruin getting out there and in the air. Besides, snow is soft right?

I'll only buy one for her if she starts using my P4 and never let's me fly it.  

Actually, we've had a couple of warm days and the snow has really gone down a lot.  There's a nice big school yard across from my house and the kids are off all this week on Easter break, soooo....
2018-4-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules