Flying off the edge of a cliff
7294 14 2018-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zuhlster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 334662 ft
United States

Is it just me, or does the mere thought of flying your drone over the edge of a cliff give you the heebee jeebees?  And does the actual action increase that uncomfortable feeling?

Yes I am a newbie.  Have some trips coming up where I will be in very scenic areas that will include cliffs and mountains etc.    My first thought is be aware of the wind, if too windy then I will not fly over a cliff.  Anything else I should be wary of in the process (aside from air restrictions)?
2018-3-29
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

That your homepoint has been set. *Please check it on the map". Whilst you are checking, ensure that the direction of the little AC icon is physically the same as the actual AC in front of you.
2018-3-29
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Simmo1 Posted at 2018-3-29 14:26
That your homepoint has been set. *Please check it on the map". Whilst you are checking, ensure that the direction of the little AC icon is physically the same as the actual AC in front of you.

The drone really doesn't care what is under it, your altitude will show a - (negative) number when you fly lower than your recorded home point. One of the most important things to observe is a possible Thermal or wind driven updraft from the face of the cliff, (even if the winds are calm) be prepared for that while flying. Other than that, make sure all your settings are correct and take the plunge.
2018-3-29
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

on cliffs and mountains be very aware of the wind - be sure you know its real direction - topographical features can bend the wind in places ie you may be sheltered behind a rock with the wind feeling as though it is coming across meanwhile outside of the sheltered area it could be blowing off the cliff or mountain. ensure RTH is set to home point (not hover - if that's a thing with your drone) and ensure home point is updated before launch. good luck
2018-3-29
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft

If you are flying in the mountains, remember that at higher elevations your battery life will be limited also.  Flying at home (600 feet above sea level) I get around 27,000 feet of travel distance.  Flying in the mountains, (12990 feet above sea level) I was lucky to get 4-5 thousand feet of travel.  
2018-3-29
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Use  UAVEFORECAST app. It will give you all the data you need to fly safe or NOT! I always use it religiously everytime before I fly.
2018-3-29
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
Second Officer

Flying beyond the edge of a cliff doesn't bother me at all, in fact it's one of the first things I wanted to try!

What does worry me though, is wondering what will happen if I let the battery get too low, and the Mavic has to do an auto landing. Does the Mavic judge how much power it has left for landing based on the altitude of the place it took off from? Or can it take into account the fact that it is now hundreds of feet above the ground even though it has only gone up a few feet from when it took off?  So I make darn sure I bring it back before the battery gets low!
2018-3-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Is it just me, or does the mere thought of flying your drone over the edge of a cliff give you the heebee jeebees?

Not after you have been diving in about 25-feet of crystal clear water, looking down closely at beautiflul sea life swimming in and around coral among patches of pristine sand, and suddenly find yourself looking into an ever bluing Abyss, with face of canyon edge behind your flippers.

2018-3-29
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 100220 ft
Canada

I have done it a few times in the Rocky Mountain and it's awesome, make sure u got solid footing and u don't walk around to much when u fly. It is intimidating knowing and seeing your Drone 700 feet below you... It's a bit sireal the first time. Have fun!
2018-3-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Salmonslayer Posted at 2018-3-29 21:04
I have done it a few times in the Rocky Mountain and it's awesome, make sure u got solid footing and u don't walk around to much when u fly. It is intimidating knowing and seeing your Drone 700 feet below you... It's a bit sireal the first time. Have fun!

Rocky Mountain and it's awesome, make sure u got solid footing and u don't walk around to much when u fly

You mentioning that, got me to wondering.  
Has any drone pilot been badly hurt or worse, getting to distracted near edge of drop-off, while wearing Goggles?
Searches turned up a Russian man falling (and dying) in his apartment while wearing 3D Gasses.  But no drone pilots.  Yeah!
2018-3-29
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

If you think about it, you purchased your drone with great expectations - deep down inside probably realize subconsciously you thought about flying your drone over the edge of a cliff. Just do your research on cliff flying, see what the ins and outs are, determine if it's the right and safe scenery for your shot, if after your analysis you come up with the answer to do it, then as Nike says...JUST DO IT
2018-3-29
Use props
Zuhlster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 334662 ft
United States

I suppose switching vid capture to saving on phone, just in case, wouldn’t be a bad idea...  lol
2018-3-30
Use props
djiuser_UVCvMNfFUzVw
lvl.1
United States

Let me jump in this conversation with a similar question… I fly a Mavic Pro 2. For some reasons, sometimes (I don’t think it does it always), when I take off from a cliff (usually by the sea) and want to make the drone descend off the cliff, it won’t let me. It’s as if it sensed some non existent ground below, and if I keep the downward lever pressed, at some point it starts the landing maneuver (which is very unsettling). It’s not even about the negative altitude because because it stops descending far above the takeoff altitude…

Anyone has experienced this?
2021-6-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_UVCvMNfFUzVw Posted at 6-29 12:16
Let me jump in this conversation with a similar question… I fly a Mavic Pro 2. For some reasons, sometimes (I don’t think it does it always), when I take off from a cliff (usually by the sea) and want to make the drone descend off the cliff, it won’t let me. It’s as if it sensed some non existent ground below, and if I keep the downward lever pressed, at some point it starts the landing maneuver (which is very unsettling). It’s not even about the negative altitude because because it stops descending far above the takeoff altitude…

Anyone has experienced this?

For some reasons, sometimes (I don’t think it does it always), when I take off from a cliff (usually by the sea) and want to make the drone descend off the cliff, it won’t let me. It’s as if it sensed some non existent ground below, and if I keep the downward lever pressed, at some point it starts the landing maneuver.

This has nothing to do with flying off a cliff.
If the drone could "sense some non existent ground below", it would happen anywhere, not just off a cliff.
But sensing some non existent ground below, is likely to be the issue.
It sounds like there may be a problem with the downward sensors.
Start a new thread and post the recorded flight data to have someone check to see if this is the cause.
2021-6-29
Use props
djiuser_UVCvMNfFUzVw
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-29 16:36
For some reasons, sometimes (I don’t think it does it always), when I take off from a cliff (usually by the sea) and want to make the drone descend off the cliff, it won’t let me. It’s as if it sensed some non existent ground below, and if I keep the downward lever pressed, at some point it starts the landing maneuver.

This has nothing to do with flying off a cliff.

Thanks I will do that!
2021-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules