2893 41 2018-3-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RGMGFitness
First Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Poll - What Video Resolution Does Your Computer Monitor Support ?

In this poll I'm curious to find out how many of us actually have the ability to watch videos on our computers in 4K?  Will be interesting to see the results since there is not much statistical data on the internet for this.  I think this community is a good group to poll since many of us are into the newest tech gear.

Please select the MAXIMUM VIDEO RESOLUTION your able to watch video in.  If you don't see your specific video resolution please select the one which is closest to what you can do with your existing monitor.

Multiple choiceVote: ( Up to 3 entry optional ), Total 118 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

18.52% (25)
6.67% (9)
40.74% (55)
6.67% (9)
18.52% (25)
1.48% (2)
7.41% (10)
Your user group with no voting privileges
Untitled-1.jpg
2018-3-30
Use props
ny300z
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

its a slippery slope....when I got a mavic that did 4K  I then bought a laptop with a 4k screen that is able to edit 4k videos and then I had to get a 4K TV so I can watch the magic....but then i also had to get a 4K gopro so all my video matched. Ahhh the life!
2018-3-30
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ny300z Posted at 2018-3-30 10:15
its a slippery slope....when I got a mavic that did 4K  I then bought a laptop with a 4k screen that is able to edit 4k videos and then I had to get a 4K TV so I can watch the magic....but then i also had to get a 4K gopro so all my video matched. Ahhh the life!

LOL....You said it.  It's a slippery slope.  I'm in the same position right now.  Upgrading everything this year....not cheap.  
2018-3-30
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Other:
I run either 4480x1080 or 4480x1024.  But that's actually 3 monitors side by side. (adds up to 48 inch though)
2018-3-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I do have a 4K laptop.
But so far none of my camera's except for my iPhone shoot 4K.
And even though my laptop is pretty decent for video editing (i7, 16Gb mem, 6Gb video card, 500Gb SSD, 1 TB HDD) , when I apply effects (like stabilization), the analyzing and rendering takes waaaaay to long for me.
2018-3-30
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-30 11:12
I do have a 4K laptop.
But so far none of my camera's except for my iPhone shoot 4K.
And even though my laptop is pretty decent for video editing (i7, 16Gb mem, 6Gb video card, 500Gb SSD, 1 TB HDD) , when I apply effects (like stabilization), the analyzing and rendering takes waaaaay to long for me.

Yep, any time you start layering different effects it undoubtedly impacts performance.  If the pc/mac your using isn't up to par, you'll notice very quickly.  
2018-3-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-3-30 11:21
Yep, any time you start layering different effects it undoubtedly impacts performance.  If the pc/mac your using isn't up to par, you'll notice very quickly.

Yes that is true.
Reminds me of my first FHD tries on my old PC.....
Only thing is now I have a rather expensive gaming laptop

But still most of my gear shoots FHD, so I'm good for now.
2018-3-30
Use props
Captain Mal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 337890 ft
United States

I think another valid question in regards to how many people can watch video in 4k is where do they do most of their viewing? Computer or TV? For me, it's TV by far and I think there are more people with 4k TVs than there are with 4k computer monitors.
2018-3-30
Use props
ny300z
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-3-30 10:29
LOL....You said it.  It's a slippery slope.  I'm in the same position right now.  Upgrading everything this year....not cheap.

oh it sure is man....then when its all said and done.....8K lol
2018-3-30
Use props
astrofly
First Officer
Flight distance : 554301 ft
Italy

More people use a notebook with 15.6" screen and more of these have a resolutiion 1360x768 or 1920x1080, with more resolution notebooks are expensive about 1200euro or up when a normal price is 5-600euro. FHD 1920x1080 product in notebook an image of 20x30cm about, HOW MUCH IS IMPORTANT HAVE A BIGGEST RESOLUTION WITH THIS LITTLE SCREEN DIMENSION CONSIDERING THAT HUMAN EYES DON'T SEE ALL THESE PARTICULARS OR COLORS ? And if you use a desktop computer with large screen 28" or 32" have the same limit of vision ! Only big television 50" 60" or more larger permit to look the difference from FHD to 4K vision but ...how much people use a biggest television for editing  a video with our computers ? And for internet or smartphone a video of 500mb or 1000mb is big for an immediate use ...than more systems reduce automatically the video  resolution ! FHD is the just resolution for today and for peopIe normally, no more are expert of video editing that have more monitors. 4k is the future and I appreciate the big quality in 4K in some occasions and many times the highest quality of video inside this forum. Thank you for reading these my personal considerations that I value realistic.
2018-3-30
Use props
astrofly
First Officer
Flight distance : 554301 ft
Italy

I'm sorry a correction: 15.6", 28", 32", 50", 60"
2018-3-30
Use props
Bill-Fly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70722 ft
United States

YES ..SLIPPERY SLOPE....I ALSO HAD TO UPGRADE MY COMPUTER AND MONITOR AFTER PURCHASING THE MAVIC AIR
2018-3-30
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I'm liking this poll.  It's very insightful to what people are doing in regard to 4K monitors and how their watching 4K videos.  
2018-3-30
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I have a 4K ASUS monitor and a Samsung 4K UHD SmartTV. I also have a Vizio 1080p SmartTV. Strangely, the Vizio will not play any video files in a resolution higher than 1080p, yet the Samsung SmartTV can play the Mavic Pro videos shot in Cinematic 4K 4096x2160p? My ASUS PC monitor can play all the Mavic Pro footages but not as good as the Samsung TV, but the Mavic Pro videos can also be played on my other computers I have - such as my Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Tablet LTE - which has a 2160x1440p touch display. I find it unique that a SmartTV that plays UHD not Cinematic 4K can handle the resolution of a Mavic Pro better than say PC monitors, etc.
2018-3-31
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

I use a 65inch 4k tv has my computer monitor. Watching the 4k images/videos from the sd card makes this great
2018-3-31
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-31 03:18
I have a 4K ASUS monitor and a Samsung 4K UHD SmartTV. I also have a Vizio 1080p SmartTV. Strangely, the Vizio will not play any video files in a resolution higher than 1080p, yet the Samsung SmartTV can play the Mavic Pro videos shot in Cinematic 4K 4096x2160p? My ASUS PC monitor can play all the Mavic Pro footages but not as good as the Samsung TV, but the Mavic Pro videos can also be played on my other computers I have - such as my Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Tablet LTE - which has a 2160x1440p touch display. I find it unique that a SmartTV that plays UHD not Cinematic 4K can handle the resolution of a Mavic Pro better than say PC monitors, etc.

Interesting...I'm on the search for a good 4K monitor to use in conjunction with my Dell XPS15 (Laptop).   Very limited monitors with the 'Thunderbolt 3' port, so leaning toward using a Dell Adapter (USB-C to Display Port) which will support Ultra HD (4K) @ 60Hz.

Open to anyone who has some good recommendations.  Want to balance price with quality....still researching.  
2018-3-31
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-3-31 08:12
Interesting...I'm on the search for a good 4K monitor to use in conjunction with my Dell XPS15 (Laptop).   Very limited monitors with the 'Thunderbolt 3' port, so leaning toward using a Dell Adapter (USB-C to Display Port) which will support Ultra HD (4K) @ 60Hz.

Open to anyone who has some good recommendations.  Want to balance price with quality....still researching.

I can only say to be wary of Dell's USB and USB-C dockingstations if you were considering those. I've had many issues with these dockingstations with monitors popping in and out of connection.
2018-3-31
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-31 09:51
I can only say to be wary of Dell's USB and USB-C dockingstations if you were considering those. I've had many issues with these dockingstations with monitors popping in and out of connection.

Thanks...yes, I've already decided NOT to use a docking station.  Just going with a small adapter between the laptop and 4K monitor.  Thanks for the feedback....
2018-3-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Have a 5k maybe I should invest in an inspire2.
2018-3-31
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-3-31 08:12
Interesting...I'm on the search for a good 4K monitor to use in conjunction with my Dell XPS15 (Laptop).   Very limited monitors with the 'Thunderbolt 3' port, so leaning toward using a Dell Adapter (USB-C to Display Port) which will support Ultra HD (4K) @ 60Hz.

The monitor I have is the ASUS MG28U 28 inch 4K Gaming Monitor.

It has the following selling points:
--28 inch 4K (3840 x 2160) TN panel w/1ms response time
--2-port USB 3.0 hub
--4K @ 60Hz content playback via DisplayPort 1.2 and HDMI 2.0
--ASUS Ultra-Low Blue Light, Flicker-Free, GamePlus, and GameVisual technologies
--Adaptive-Sync technology for seamless gameplay

Here's the link to Amazon who is selling the monitor:
https://www.amazon.com/MG28UQ-28 ... keywords=asus+mg28u

I would also recommend looking into just purchasing a 50+ SmartTV using the HDMI input as your monitor source?
2018-3-31
Use props
hamstergraphics
lvl.3
Flight distance : 992736 ft
Canada

No 4K here, so I don't even get to see my own (4k) videos in all their glory...  One day I'll be able to look back on them as they are meant to be shown....
2018-4-2
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

iMac with 5k
2018-4-2
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

I have a 65 inch LG HDR 4K Smart TV that I will sometimes hook my laptop up to in order to view the 4k videos.  By my normal monitor is just a 32 inch 1080p UHD.  
2018-4-2
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-4-3
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

All I have is a 13" MacBook Pro 2017.
2018-4-3
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have no interest now in producing 4K videos. I don’t think anyone can see the difference sitting at a comfortable distance from the monitor. I usually record in 4K to add editing options. 4K video allows zooming in to display ¼ of the area without noticeable quality loss.
2018-4-3
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Finally made the plunge and upgraded to a 4K UHD Monitor....this one is by LG          .  It's a slippery slope when trying to keep up with the newest tech.  

2018-4-3
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

No 4k monitor, but i have a 4k HDR smart tv that I watch youtube on, so I want to put the highest quality i can into my videos.  I have an OK laptop, i7 2.5ghz, 8gb ram, but while it has dedicated graphics, it does not help with premier pro.  it can playback raw 4k when i'm editing, but if there is a LUT or any effects applied, it is super choppy.  I keep saying I might drop back down to 1080p but I never do manage to change the setting.  From the one 1080p video I did edit in premiere pro, this computer handles it much better and I probably create a better quality edit as a result.  hopefully by the end of the year I can justify the jump to a newer laptop that will handle the 4k video a bit better.  

actually as i'm sitting here thinking about it, my 1080p edits are better quality videos than my 4k ones have been so far.  I guess i've talked myself into dropping down to 1080 once the mavic comes back from repair at DJI.  
2018-4-3
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TexasAerials Posted at 2018-4-3 23:15
No 4k monitor, but i have a 4k HDR smart tv that I watch youtube on, so I want to put the highest quality i can into my videos.  I have an OK laptop, i7 2.5ghz, 8gb ram, but while it has dedicated graphics, it does not help with premier pro.  it can playback raw 4k when i'm editing, but if there is a LUT or any effects applied, it is super choppy.  I keep saying I might drop back down to 1080p but I never do manage to change the setting.  From the one 1080p video I did edit in premiere pro, this computer handles it much better and I probably create a better quality edit as a result.  hopefully by the end of the year I can justify the jump to a newer laptop that will handle the 4k video a bit better.  

actually as i'm sitting here thinking about it, my 1080p edits are better quality videos than my 4k ones have been so far.  I guess i've talked myself into dropping down to 1080 once the mavic comes back from repair at DJI.

Yes, if you computer isn't built for the higher resolution videos (i.e. 4K) than the minute you start layering effects in Premiere Pro it's just one big bottle neck.  I think 1080P is still excellent video quality for 80% of people.  

For me, since the Mavic Air can do 4K I certainly want to play around with the videos and edits.  We'll see how this new setup works out for me.  I certainly like the additional real estate I get from this new LG monitor.  So much more room to work with, which is a big plus.  

A few specs from my Dell XPS 15:
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5
512GB PCIe Solid State Drive
16GB, DDR4, 2400MHz
Windows 10 Home (64bit) English
7th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.8 GHz)
2018-4-4
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-4-4 05:05
Yes, if you computer isn't built for the higher resolution videos (i.e. 4K) than the minute you start layering effects in Premiere Pro it's just one big bottle neck.  I think 1080P is still excellent video quality for 80% of people.  

For me, since the Mavic Air can do 4K I certainly want to play around with the videos and edits.  We'll see how this new setup works out for me.  I certainly like the additional real estate I get from this new LG monitor.  So much more room to work with, which is a big plus.  

If you have intel integrated graphics and edit in Premiere Pro you might want to take a look at this link:  https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2351471

It seems that premiere can't decide if OpenCL is enabled on both your dedicated and integrated graphics cards.  I just found this and with a LUT and some sharpness adjustment effects applied the playback in the preview window is much more useable.  stilll a bit choppy, probably 10-15fps but at least its not playing two seconds and freezing up like before.  Its taking a bit of restraint to post this and go back to my work instead of finishing up a quick edit to see what effect this has on the render time.  This should make 1080 videos a snap to work with now too.  
2018-4-4
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-4-5
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Strange voting/poll. It is not the screen that determines whether you can watch 4K video on the computer but the video card. Without you can put all the 4k screens on one the computer your want, but only see the resolution the video card can deliver.   

Regards Leif.
2018-4-5
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

El Diablo Posted at 2018-4-5 04:37
By the way, some of you might have the known issue with the blurry right corner image on the Mavic... unless you review your footage on a monitor with 4K or above resolution you will not be able to spot it easily... experiment to be sure

Interesting...I hadn't noticed that.  I'll have to check that out.  Just got a new 4K monitor.
2018-4-5
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Landbo Posted at 2018-4-5 04:54
Strange voting/poll. It is not the screen that determines whether you can watch 4K video on the computer but the video card. Without you can put all the 4k screens on one the computer your want, but only see the resolution the video card can deliver.   

Regards Leif.

Yes, your correct.  I prefaced the poll with;  In this poll I'm curious to find out how many of us actually have the ability to watch videos on our computers in 4K?

Hopefully, folks taking the poll know this already.  Seems obvious...but one never knows.  
2018-4-5
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

My PC died a couple months ago so I took the opportunity to replace it with the best I could get. Some say I should have switched to Apple, however, all of my software is Windows and replacing it all would be cost prohibitive.
2018-4-5
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

i selected other because no option for 4k tv
2018-4-5
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

Glad to see most people have a 4K monitor.
2018-4-6
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-4-6 16:46
Glad to see most people have a 4K monitor.

Yes, this is actually a pretty interesting poll.  Its pretty interesting actually.  
2018-4-7
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-4-7 19:04
Yes, this is actually a pretty interesting poll.  Its pretty interesting actually.

Except for the Spark, I would expect to see 4K monitors associated with 4K drones.
2018-4-8
Use props
Theppgcowboy
lvl.3
United States

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-4-4 05:05
Yes, if you computer isn't built for the higher resolution videos (i.e. 4K) than the minute you start layering effects in Premiere Pro it's just one big bottle neck.  I think 1080P is still excellent video quality for 80% of people.  

I got mine through Costco with 32 gb memory and they were $700 less expensive than Dell
2018-4-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules