CPL Filter which way is Right Way Up?
1780 6 2018-3-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

So I know they only work when properly oriented but my CPL Filter has no indicating marks on how to place it on the lens for it to work as designed?

A lot of water around here so it would be handy to know.
2018-3-30
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

2018-3-30
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

Thanks I just watched this video and although he explains what it does and how necessary it is to have correct orientation he doesn't say how to do this?

BTW I have a Mavic pro and my filters are not screw-on and do not have a second free-turning element.

He is boosting Freewell filters so no other filters are discussed.
2018-3-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Skymax. Posted at 2018-3-30 12:56
Thanks I just watched this video and although he explains what it does and how necessary it is to have correct orientation he doesn't say how to do this?

BTW I have a Mavic pro and my filters are not screw-on and do not have a second free-turning element.

Best is to put it on and use the preview on your mobile while still on the ground to align the Polarizer filter and see what orientation gives the best effect.
2018-3-30
Use props
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

There is no "correct" orientation for a CPL. It all depends on the plane of the reflected light. The only practical way to know that is to turn the filter and watch the visible change in the image. This is easy on a DSLR, but on a drone it's a pain the the hind quarters!
2018-3-30
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2103150 ft

There are two surfaces on any CP filter... The front, which faces the way the camera is pointing, and the back, which faces the rear of the aircraft.

Turn the CP filter so that the back is touching the lens (as if trying to put it on backwards), and while looking at the video on you phone/tablet, rotate the filter until it gets the effect you find most pleasing. Then, keeping your fingers at the top and bottom of the filter, simply flip the filter around and push it onto the camera.
2018-3-30
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

Jyunte Posted at 2018-3-30 17:07
There are two surfaces on any CP filter... The front, which faces the way the camera is pointing, and the back, which faces the rear of the aircraft.

Turn the CP filter so that the back is touching the lens (as if trying to put it on backwards), and while looking at the video on you phone/tablet, rotate the filter until it gets the effect you find most pleasing. Then, keeping your fingers at the top and bottom of the filter, simply flip the filter around and push it onto the camera.

Good info thanks.
2018-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules