Gain settings for smooth video
11861 22 2015-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Viking Tattoos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 549531 ft
United States

Please post what some of you are using for gain settings to get smooth video from the Phantom 3.   Thanks

2015-5-7
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

I put everything on minimal values (and S curve for the EXP) but the values are not recorded (as for the RTH height value)
2015-5-7
Use props
Viking Tattoos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 549531 ft
United States

Ulysse Posted at 2015-5-7 23:20
I put everything on minimal values (and S curve for the EXP) but the values are not recorded (as for ...

Thanks Ulysses... I will try those.. my issue is my yaw is soo quick and the video isnt smooth at all
2015-5-7
Use props
marc.egelhofer
lvl.1

Germany

Viking Tattoos Posted at 2015-5-7 23:38
Thanks Ulysses... I will try those.. my issue is my yaw is soo quick and the video isnt smooth at  ...

Im having the same problem. When I want the Phantom to fly slowly over a field, it either doesnt move or speeds up to over 8 m/s. Can you please let me know your experience? And is it risky to play with these settings?
2015-5-10
Use props
cascadeflyer
lvl.2

United States

Leave gains alone. Set expos to .30 for all and 90 for brake.
2015-5-10
Use props
dan
lvl.1

United States

Agreed.  I think the stock gain settings are good and add some expo if you want your input to be less twitchy near the center point.  I've been getting really smooth video.  The gimbal / camera combo is far superior to my P2's H2-3D / GoPro combo.
2015-5-10
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Ulysse Posted at 2015-5-7 23:20
I put everything on minimal values (and S curve for the EXP) but the values are not recorded (as for ...

Are you putting in your changes when the Phantom is on and connected? Or in the Pilot app with just the remote on? If the Phantom is not on, I'm not sure any settings stick? Or perhaps they just don't if just using the Pilot app without remote being on?
2015-5-11
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
  • >>>
Belgium

To be sure I change the settings with everything powered on.
As for the X and Y axis, my reading of the "explanation" on the screen is that the X axis is the stick input and the Y axis is the result on the quad.

2015-5-11
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Ulysse Posted at 2015-5-11 22:14
To be sure I change the settings with everything powered on.
As for the X and Y axis, my reading of ...

Does that mean that you fixed the problem of the settings not sticking (but it does when I reminded you to have it turned on and connected?)

I guess another way of explaining it is, it works a bit like the acceleration (although this has nothing to do with how fast you move the stick but how much) or "precision" setting on a computer-mouse. In other words, with lower settings you need to move the stick more before the Phantom reacts a lot.

What confuses me is the lack of (if I recall correctly) YAW expo-setting? Plus, it is not completely clear to me if the "Gains" work the same way?

I'd also like to hear exactly how the "Attitude" setting works (slider, not mode). Also a bit more detail on the "Braking" setting would be nice. I lowered the "Braking" and that means that in GPS-mode and you fly at speed and then let go of the sticks, it will brake (tilt to stop) more or less aggressively.  I thought it (also?) had to do with the amount of "Active ESC braking" it applies when giving stick-imput where it needs to lower the speed of the props. If higher setting, it will "brake" more on the props, thereby reacting quicker. But I'm uncertain exactly if it is the one or the other?

The manual is truly lacking with regards to explaining these things in detail.
2015-5-11
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
  • >>>
Belgium

I have the app in french but the Yaw should be the middle one (in the french app it is written "Gouverne droite / Gouverne gauche" so it is the equivalent of the vertical control of an airplane). Anyway, I put everything to 0,30 in order to lower the quad reactions with little stick input.
For the brake setting, I understand the same as you. For the attitude I don't know
2015-5-11
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
  • >>>
Belgium

"I guess another way of explaining it is, it works a bit like the acceleration (although this has nothing to do with how fast you move the stick but how much) or "precision" setting on a computer-mouse. In other words, with lower settings you need to move the stick more before the Phantom reacts a lot."

Not exactly as 100% stick input will give 100% impact on the quad. This is an exponential curve so 0=0 and 100=100 but 10% stick should for example give 5% on the quad.
A straight line would give 0=0, 10=10, 20=20 and so on.
2015-5-11
Use props
marc.egelhofer
lvl.1

Germany

Ulysse Posted at 2015-5-12 00:20
"I guess another way of explaining it is, it works a bit like the acceleration (although this has no ...

I tried to fly the Phantom 3 with standard setting at low altitude over a field. It either didnt move or it accelerated to 6-8 m/s. Dont get me wrong, the video is smooth, however, the speed is not constant.
So just changing the brake wont do it I think.  Im just unsure which settings I should choose. Im worried to kill the bird...
2015-5-11
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
  • >>>
Belgium

Back from a flight and I have to revise what I said before : EXP works very nicely. When I entered on these settings page, I was surprise to see every values to their max (0,70). So I change to the lowest value (0,30) and there is a big difference. It is even really to low. What I did is to stay with a straight line for altitude (first graph) and direction control (third graph). For the yaw, I set the value to 0,38.
Anyway checking these values is a new point on my pre-flight checklist.
2015-5-11
Use props
Phantom_Film
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1609482 ft
Greece

Hi,  i have an issue that is relevant here.

On my expo settings, whatever value i submit, after i leave the page is not saved. I cant change any expo value,  everything stays on 030...
My RTH height is recorded ok. That is happening on my S4 and P3P.
On a friends P3P and ipad mini 2 , the expo settings are saved ok, but he always get 0 into RTH height value...

Is that a bug?

2015-5-11
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
  • >>>
Belgium

The 0 RTH value bug is known from DJI and will be addressed in a future app update.
2015-5-11
Use props
Phantom_Film
lvl.4
Greece

Thanks Ulysee.

I still dont like not being able to change expo  It seems also there is something wrong there also...  Although i hate expo in throttle stick, i will fly it , had only one 3 min flight due to weather...

I am thinking is there any other value that has not been saved ok? IMU - Gimbal Calibration, etc....

2015-5-11
Use props
marc.egelhofer
lvl.1

Germany

Ulysse Posted at 2015-5-12 02:15
Back from a flight and I have to revise what I said before : EXP works very nicely. When I entered o ...

Wow, that is a good hint. I realised the value is at 0,4. Will test tomorrow to set to 0,30.
2015-5-11
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
  • >>>
Belgium

I'm now with 0,5 for altitude (power) and front/back/left/right, so a straight line on the graph.
And for the yaw control 0,38 so I can make smooth video panorama.
50 on the gimbal speed and also reduced a little bit the brake settings.
2015-5-11
Use props
marc.egelhofer
lvl.1

Germany

Ulysse Posted at 2015-5-12 03:55
I'm now with 0,5 for altitude (power) and front/back/left/right, so a straight line on the graph.
A ...

just for my understanding - is 0.3 faster or slower than 0.7? Im not quite getting the numbers...
2015-5-11
Use props
Phantom_Film
lvl.4
Greece

0.30 is smoother. Less responsive to your inputs. 0.50 is flat, standard. Above 0.50 is more agressive.
To understand this, see the  diagrams and lines... Move the sticks and you will see how it is working.  
For us coming from rc helis, radios with expo etc, it is easy to figure this out.

I also will try it (when the expo's bug is fixed), only in Rudder (yaw) movements, left stick that its... But not in throttle, aileron, ailevetor (right stick).

2015-5-11
Use props
macclesfieldman
lvl.1

Germany

I have tried 0.3 and it makes a difference, even coming from 0.4. It's almost perfect and gets much smoother in its movements. I love this flying camera...
2015-5-13
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Would someone post a pic of their setting page with these number values input? Thanks...

Jim
2015-5-13
Use props
raafmaker
lvl.2
Netherlands

Would love to see some pics too. Makes things a bit more understanding. Like to have a more smooth motion while flying for more cinematic shots.
2015-6-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules