Testing out the new filters - MPP
470 11 2018-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
salmonshark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 206352 ft
United States

Testing out the new filters on the drone... this was done this morning with a ND-32 filter, ISO set to 100, and exposure to 1 second.  Then I added the tilt-shift effect to it as well.  Think it turned out pretty good.

fairwood_long_exposure_tilt_shift_cropped_small.jpg

Let me know what you think...

SS

2018-3-31
Use props
Axeli
Second Officer
Flight distance : 339416 ft
Czechia

I like that a lot
2018-3-31
Use props
astrofly
First Officer
Flight distance : 554301 ft
Italy

Good colored picture !
2018-3-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Like it a lot!
2018-3-31
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Very nicely done.
2018-3-31
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Please fogive my ignorance but why did you use an NDfilter and therefore the long exposure?
2018-3-31
Use props
Jaime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 950036 ft

very good !
2018-3-31
Use props
salmonshark
Second Officer
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-3-31 11:05
Please fogive my ignorance but why did you use an NDfilter and therefore the long exposure?

my understanding is that during the day, to do a long exposure shot, you want the darkest ND filter you have.  Because when you are capturing for 1 second or longer, the camera is going to take in so much light, you need to limit it, so you use an ND filter.

While in post, I really liked the blur of the cars you see heading west in the picture, and the tilt-shift popped into my head.  So I decided, why not, let's throw that effect on top of the long exposure.

I think the end result is pretty good.  But what do I know?  I am just an amateur still learning, so don't think I know what I am doing! lol

SS
2018-3-31
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

salmonshark Posted at 2018-3-31 15:31
my understanding is that during the day, to do a long exposure shot, you want the darkest ND filter you have.  Because when you are capturing for 1 second or longer, the camera is going to take in so much light, you need to limit it, so you use an ND filter.

While in post, I really liked the blur of the cars you see heading west in the picture, and the tilt-shift popped into my head.  So I decided, why not, let's throw that effect on top of the long exposure.

Ah! I understand why now. It was to achieve the motion blur of moving cars.
Obviously you need a calm day for a long exposure, certainly no strong gusts or the whole picture blurs, not just the top part of your pic.
I am learning how to create effects and adjustments in photoshop, so I will see how to create the car blur that way. Thanks for the explanation.
2018-4-1
Use props
salmonshark
Second Officer
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-4-1 03:02
Ah! I understand why now. It was to achieve the motion blur of moving cars.
Obviously you need a calm day for a long exposure, certainly no strong gusts or the whole picture blurs, not just the top part of your pic.
I am learning how to create effects and adjustments in photoshop, so I will see how to create the car blur that way. Thanks for the explanation.

The car blur on the streets are created by using the long exposure...  The blur at the top and the bottom was done in post to help create the tilt-shift effect...  the raw photo still has the motion blur...

SS
2018-4-1
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Nice picture
2018-4-1
Use props
salmonshark
Second Officer
United States

Thanks everyone for the feedback!  It's much appreciated.  I did order the ND-64 this morning to go with the set I have.  The ND-64 should help in creating the effect that I am after.  I'll try to take a similar shot when it arrives and compare the difference.

So far, I've mainly have focused on just the photography aspect of flying drones and have really enjoyed learning the different techniques.  Eventually, I will get around to more filming.

SS
2018-4-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules