First Officer

Great location nice video
2018-4-1
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>

Nice! Bahia Honda Park and the horseshoe. My Father-in-Law retired to Big Pine. We went to visit him in 2000 and scuba dived there. Absolutely beautiful place, right up until the hurricane season starts...

Jeff
2018-4-1
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Awesome video.
2018-4-1
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

WOW want a great video.
I was going to retire in Florida but thought it was a little to humid. We ended up in AZ. Mostly all desert, dry and hot.

The scenery at the Keys is really beautiful. Enjoyed seeing the ocean. Thanks for sharing.
2018-4-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice video
2018-4-1
Use props
Time2Party
Second Officer
Flight distance : 169314 ft
Belgium

Very nice video and location
2018-4-1
Use props
Lobstah Mobstah
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1218379 ft

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!
2018-4-1
Use props
maurom82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143757 ft
Italy

great video. thanks for sharing with us
2018-4-1
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft

Buddy and Mary's Marina!! Iconic place!!!
2018-4-1
Use props
Lobstah Mobstah
Second Officer

I can only imagine what it would've looked like with the polarized filter on the right way!  
2018-4-1
Use props
Lobstah Mobstah
Second Officer
United States

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-4-1 02:58
Nice! Bahia Honda Park and the horseshoe. My Father-in-Law retired to Big Pine. We went to visit him in 2000 and scuba dived there. Absolutely beautiful place, right up until the hurricane season starts...

Jeff

Over half of Bahia Honda State Park is closed now.  The best beach in the Keys isn't accessible because of Hurricane Irma.  My sister-in-law closed on a house on Big Pine Key about a week before the storm hit.  This is what's left.  The house was a total loss.  Storm surge had about 4 feet of water on the bottom floor.
2018-4-2
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Very nice video.  Thanks for sharing.
2018-4-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Lobstah Mobstah Posted at 2018-4-2 09:14
Over half of Bahia Honda State Park is closed now.  The best beach in the Keys isn't accessible because of Hurricane Irma.  My sister-in-law closed on a house on Big Pine Key about a week before the storm hit.  This is what's left.  The house was a total loss.  Storm surge had about 4 feet of water on the bottom floor.
[view_image]

That is sad.
I hope she had insurnace in effect.
2018-4-2
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 108805200 ft
  • >>>

Excellente
2018-4-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Can't watch full video, currently Mega-Byte challenged connection.
2018-4-2
Use props
Lobstah Mobstah
Second Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-2 09:35
That is sad.
I hope she had insurnace in effect.

She did but it is a huge pain in the butt to deal with lawyers, insurance, clearing away the rubble and rebuilding.  She still hasn't gotten the full amount from insurance.
2018-4-2
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lobstah Mobstah Posted at 2018-4-2 09:14
Over half of Bahia Honda State Park is closed now.  The best beach in the Keys isn't accessible because of Hurricane Irma.  My sister-in-law closed on a house on Big Pine Key about a week before the storm hit.  This is what's left.  The house was a total loss.  Storm surge had about 4 feet of water on the bottom floor.
[view_image]

Yep, F-I-L had a trailer on a corner lot Nathalie Rd at Sands Rd. I see it still on Apple Maps. But it's gone on Google. If you zoom into street view you can still see the trailer there. The area was wiped clean. I have a family member who had a home on stilts a few blocks from there. It looks similar to the photo you posted. I feel it's getting worse all the time. When I visited after a hurricane in the early 2000's it was damaged, but not devastated. Things have changed regardless of what the deniers say...

Still a beautiful place. I hope your fam recovers from the damage...

Jeff
2018-4-2
Use props
Lobstah Mobstah
Second Officer
United States

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-4-2 10:25
Yep, F-I-L had a trailer on a corner lot Nathalie Rd at Sands Rd. I see it still on Apple Maps. But it's gone on Google. If you zoom into street view you can still see the trailer there. The area was wiped clean. I have a family member who had a home on stilts a few blocks from there. It looks similar to the photo you posted. I feel it's getting worse all the time. When I visited after a hurricane in the early 2000's it was damaged, but not devastated. Things have changed regardless of what the deniers say...

Still a beautiful place. I hope your fam recovers from the damage...

We saw a trailer with one wall missing sitting right on the side of U.S. 1.  It had a sign that said, "For rent $1,800" .  Someone had a sense of humor.  
2018-4-2
Use props
dji TO88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Canada

Great work! Thanks for sharing!
2018-4-2
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft

Nice video! Thanks for sharing.
Irma took most of us out and I am 4 hours north of the keys.
2018-4-3
Use props
Lobstah Mobstah
Second Officer
United States

sky6105 Posted at 2018-4-3 14:48
Nice video! Thanks for sharing.
Irma took most of us out and I am 4 hours north of the keys.

I lived in Cooper City at the time.  We had quite a bit of damage too.
2018-4-4
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Beautiful video, thank you! Is there a particular reason why the old bridge does not get removed?
2018-4-4
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-4-4 04:53
Beautiful video, thank you! Is there a particular reason why the old bridge does not get removed?

Most of are old bridges here in Florida are used for fishing piers.
It keeps the people fishing out of the on coming traffic.
2018-4-4
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

sky6105 Posted at 2018-4-4 04:58
Most of are old bridges here in Florida are used for fishing piers.
It keeps the people fishing out of the on coming traffic.

Thank you for the explanation. But the one in the video is cut off towards both ends so nobody can get on the largest part of it.
2018-4-4
Use props
djiuser_GTmXJy8qXPv6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 38048 ft
Germany

The Old and the Modern 7 Mile Bridge.
2018-4-4
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-4-4 05:08
Thank you for the explanation. But the one in the video is cut off towards both ends so nobody can get on the largest part of it.

Maybe it came down to who is paying for it.
I didn't take notice of the ends of the bridge I know around my area of Florida they left them up for the people fishing.
2018-4-4
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-4-4 05:08
Thank you for the explanation. But the one in the video is cut off towards both ends so nobody can get on the largest part of it.

According to my wife's brother (a Harbor Pilot on Big Pine Key) cost and ecology are the two main reasons the bridge wasn't torn down. The cheapest way to remove these old causeway bridges is dynamite. That would be really bad for the marine life living around the bridge. I've watched that bridge decay over 18 years and it seems to me, it won't be very many more years before they have to deal with it or block boat traffic from getting near it. It's a pretty tall bridge and not very appealing for fishing, so unlike many of the other defunct bridges in the keys that are used as walk-on fishing piers it was blocked off. I've stood at both approaches and it's a long way down to the water.

Jeff
2018-4-4
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lobstah Mobstah Posted at 2018-4-2 15:06
We saw a trailer with one wall missing sitting right on the side of U.S. 1.  It had a sign that said, "For rent $1,800" .  Someone had a sense of humor.

I've been looking at Google Maps quite a bit now that this subject came up. If I look at the area from sat view, I can see all the vegetation has been stripped, but if I zoom down to street view it's all still there. It really indicates the devastation. Looking at the bay side camp sites in the state park is absolutely heart breaking. I know my wife's father stayed in the trailer for a storm in '99 or '00, and his friend stayed on his fishing boat to ride it out. I can't imagine how horrifying it must've been for anyone who chose to stay during this Irma storm.

Jeff
2018-4-4
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-4-4 06:28
According to my wife's brother (a Harbor Pilot on Big Pine Key) cost and ecology are the two main reasons the bridge wasn't torn down. The cheapest way to remove these old causeway bridges is dynamite. That would be really bad for the marine life living around the bridge. I've watched that bridge decay over 18 years and it seems to me, it won't be very many more years before they have to deal with it or block boat traffic from getting near it. It's a pretty tall bridge and not very appealing for fishing, so unlike many of the other defunct bridges in the keys that are used as walk-on fishing piers it was blocked off. I've stood at both approaches and it's a long way down to the water.

Jeff

Thanks a lot, that explains the situation of this particular bridge.
2018-4-4
Use props
Lobstah Mobstah
Second Officer
United States

The damage down there is really heart breaking.  The amount of garbage and debris is incredible.  There are now landfills where I had never seen them before.  This is months after the storm, so one can only imagine how bad it was right after.  Some areas are better at getting the area cleaned up than others.
2018-4-4
Use props
4WDaus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

Colours are excellent, nicely done
2018-4-4
Use props
Lobstah Mobstah
Second Officer
United States

4WDaus Posted at 2018-4-4 21:38
Colours are excellent, nicely done

Thank you.  I wish the video did them justice.  The colors were way more beautiful in person.
2018-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules