Restricted-altitude zone is not correct.
12Next >
7997 74 2015-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
michael
lvl.2

Netherlands

I am not able to take off with my new DJI Phantom 3Professional because of  Category A Amsterdam Airport Schiphol.
Why?  I am standing outside the no Fly zone but still in de restricted-altitude zone.
It must only be limited to 60 meters, the same as myDJI Phantom Vision 2 plus+ V3. That one can take off.

I think that the restricted-altitude zone is not working onthe DJI Phantom 3 Professional.

Michael

2015-5-7
Use props
bestfhorn1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 823583 ft
United States

Check out page 42 of this online manual:  http://download.dji-innovations. ... _Manual_v1.0_en.pdf

While the no-fly zone radius ends near the airport property line, the altitude restrictions continue a mile away from that zone.  The graphic in the manual presents and explains it much better than I could.
2015-5-7
Use props
michael
lvl.2

Netherlands

bestfhorn1@aol. Posted at 2015-5-8 02:43
Check out page 42 of this online manual:  http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom_3/en ...

I can fly my DJI Phantom 2 Vision plus+ V3 in the restricted zone and not my Phantom 3.
This is not correct in the firmware of the Phantom 3.
2015-5-7
Use props
bestfhorn1
lvl.1
United States

michael@mleidel Posted at 2015-5-8 02:54
I can fly my DJI Phantom 2 Vision plus+ V3 in the restricted zone and not my Phantom 3.
This is no ...

Do you get any warning on the P2V+ that you're in a restricted zone?

And maybe it's not a problem with the P3, could be that the P2V+ shouldn't allow you but you're able to anyway.  Not sure how to get around it.
2015-5-7
Use props
michael
lvl.2

Netherlands

bestfhorn1@aol. Posted at 2015-5-8 03:16
Do you get any warning on the P2V+ that you're in a restricted zone?

And maybe it's not a problem ...

Yes,  there is a warning and I am using GPS mode on P2 and P3.
The P2 is restricted to 60 meters and the P3 can't take off.
The P3 sees the restricted zone as no Fly zone.
2015-5-7
Use props
bestfhorn1
lvl.1
United States

michael@mleidel Posted at 2015-5-8 03:26
Yes,  there is a warning and I am using GPS mode on P2 and P3.
The P2 is restricted to 60 meters a ...

Everything sounds like you should be able to fly.  I live 0.8 miles from an airport no-fly zone and have gone above 100 feet so far.  Haven't tried much higher yet.

I would see if DJI can explain.  There could be a difference in no-fly zones between the two versions.  Doubt it, but you never know.

Hope you get an answer soon.
2015-5-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

So, then you might decide to walk, drive or even ride a bicycle out of the zone.
Gosh, with all due respect, I honestly hope that some common sense, enters into a few of your unpracticed thinking heads.

Why do you think there even is such a thing as a no fly zone, around airports, hospitals with air ambulance and military areas?

Gee, there must be a common reasoning behind these evil people, as they only desire to ruin all our fun. Dang!!

What an awful world, that I can't do everything my mind conceives...

RedHotPoker
2015-5-7
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

michael@mleidel Posted at 2015-5-8 02:54
This is no ...

The P3 has a more accurate GPS than the P2 in that it uses GPS and GLONASS.  While you may think you are outside the zone you may be in the Zone.  As was stated, these restrictions are placed there for a reason.  No one wants an accident near an airport.  
2015-5-7
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

This is bad. That far away there is no problem flying. Naturally in a responsible way. Which is naturally possible.

DJI needs to stop this sort of nanny-mentality. It is awesome that there could be warnings built-in. But it should be up to the owner to take responsibility. It is the same with everything else - cars, knives, guns.

Keep us posted. It sounds very disconcerting if you can't even fly at low altitudes when that far away from the airport.

If the P3 is worse than the P2V+ in this respect, it is a huge problem.
2015-5-7
Use props
michael
lvl.2

Netherlands

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-8 04:37
The P3 has a more accurate GPS than the P2 in that it uses GPS and GLONASS.  While you may think y ...

It's not about more accurate. I am standing in a retricted zone not a No Fly Zone.

Even the DJI website shows that I am standing in a restricted Zone. But the P3 won't take off.

Picture where I'm standing

2015-5-7
Use props
jacmac64
lvl.3

United States

This is correct. Your not suppose to be able to take off. Read line 2 from the manual.

Restricted Area
(1) Restricted Areas does not have flight altitude restrictions.
(2) R miles around the designated restriction area is a Take-off Restricted area. Aircraft cannot take off
within this zone.
The value of R varies based on the definition
of the restricted areas.
(3) A “warning zone” has been set around the Restricted Area. When the aircraft approaches within 0.6
miles (1 km) of this zone, a warning message will appear on the DJI Pilot app.
2015-5-7
Use props
michael
lvl.2

Netherlands

jacmac64 Posted at 2015-5-8 06:46
This is correct. Your not suppose to be able to take off. Read line 2 from the manual.

Restricted A ...

please explain. P2 takes off and P3 not.
2015-5-7
Use props
jacmac64
lvl.3

United States

P2 wasn't as accurate at pin pointing your location and may not have been setup the with the same restrictions.

2015-5-7
Use props
michael
lvl.2

Netherlands

jacmac64 Posted at 2015-5-8 06:46

Restricted A ...

Line 2 is the red marked No Fly zone. I'm standing in the restricted height zone.
2015-5-7
Use props
jacmac64
lvl.3

United States

Red circle is Airport property. No fly zone

1 mile radius around the red circle is is zone 2, which is restricted height and no take off area. If you fly in to this area your altitude will be reduced.

Zone 3 is warning zone. You will receive an warning message on your screen.
2015-5-7
Use props
michael
lvl.2

Netherlands

jacmac64 Posted at 2015-5-8 07:11
Red circle is Airport property. No fly zone

1 mile radius around the red circle is is zone 2, which ...

You can take off in the restricted altitude zone with P2 not with P3.  Why?
On the DJI website and in the manual they are talking about restricted height not about not taking off.
2015-5-7
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

michael@mleidel Posted at 2015-5-8 07:31
You can take off in the restricted altitude zone with P2 not with P3.  Why?
On the DJI website an ...

There is a new version of the firmware out today.  Please install that and see if it helps your situation.
2015-5-8
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-8 20:27
There is a new version of the firmware out today.  Please install that and see if it helps your si ...

Good to see you acknowledging that functionality has to be wrong.

Hopefully it is fixed - or will be soon.

I would hate having to fly (might just be flying around a house in 10 meters altitude) - and then looking like a fool because it won't take off. Having to take off outside the zone and then trying to get to the right place would be unnecessarily inconvenient and perhaps even a lot more dangerous than if the faulty take-off restriction wasn't there.

Good luck Michael.
2015-5-8
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-8 20:41

Hopefully it is fixed - or will ...

Don't get me wrong, I love the Phantom and have just purchased one, but this is the problem of riddling your product with Bloatware (no fly zones, altitude limits) that is not needed for the functionality of the device, and is really just adding a software complexity that is simply one more thing to go wrong or perform unpredictably. What if these Phantoms falling out of the sky suddenly came to believe that they are in a "no fly" zone? Stop nannying your consumer base with this nonsense and instead make sure the product is able to fly properly.
2015-5-8
Use props
michael
lvl.2

Netherlands

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-8 20:27
There is a new version of the firmware out today.  Please install that and see if it helps your si ...

Tested with firmware V1.1.8

The No Fly Zone is too large.
Why is it larger then on the website http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc

There are buiding 15 stories high is this area.

Why is the P3 No Fly Zone different then the P2?
2015-5-8
Use props
michael
lvl.2

Netherlands

michael@mleidel Posted at 2015-5-9 01:12
Tested with firmware V1.1.8

This is a No Fly Zone? Look at the buildings.

I only want to test the P3 at home first before I Leave.
Because of the larger No Fly Zone I can't test my P3.
2015-5-8
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

Just because you are not standing directly on the runway... Does not mean you are safe to fly.

You are simply too close to the air port to operate a drone safely.  Airplanes & helicopters often fly below 400 feet within a mille or two of the airport while on approach.  The No Fly Zone is there to keep your drone out of the safe operating zone for the airport.  It would be very easy to loose control of your drone and have it fly into air traffic in the pattern.

The No Fly Zone is there for a REASON.  It's to protect peoples lives.  (Including yours.)
2015-5-8
Use props
nurimanizam
lvl.1

Singapore

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-8 20:41

Hopefully it is fixed - or will ...

There's a way you can block GPS signal if you're doing at home using some aluminium foil and make use of the VPS for positioning. Not sure if that will allow you to start flying
2015-5-8
Use props
michael
lvl.2

Netherlands

tchavalas@panos Posted at 2015-5-9 01:37
Just because you are not standing directly on the runway... Does not mean you are safe to fly.

You  ...

I understand that there is a NO Fly Zone. But I can Take Off with my P2 with a height limit warning.
Why is the P3 different? If I knew that I can not fly the P3 at home I never bought the P3.
The DJI website is also not correct. I think that the No Fly Zone is too  large for the P3.

2015-5-8
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

michael@mleidel Posted at 2015-5-9 01:28

I only want to test the P3 at home first before I  ...

Nothing short of retarded.

DJI needs to stop being nannies. This WILL push customers away as soon as there are viable alternatives. And there soon will. This will be a competition-parameter.

I've not had the problem. Doubt I will. BUT, I want the freedom to do with my property what I want and take responsibility for my actions. We're growups here.

I hope you try the aluminium-foil thing. Maybe even turn off the GPS in your phone/tablet (airplane-mode?).

Good luck. I hope thats the workaround.
2015-5-8
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

I think DJI is trying to act responsibly so that the FAA does not feel the need to put further restrictions on drone flying in the USA.

And those... "adults" you speak of were responsible for crashing a DJI drone on the white house lawn and several other near misses at airports.

You can call DJI "nannies" all you want.  I think they are just trying to work with government agencies to help prevent private drones from be outlawed completely.  

I am sure there will be "hacks" and workarounds eventually...  (Do so at your own risk.)  But I think DJI is doing the right thing to work with authorities to attempt to put sane limits on where you can fly these drones.  Many DJI customers are NOT experienced nor are they "adults".
2015-5-8
Use props
michael
lvl.2

Netherlands

tchavalas@panos Posted at 2015-5-9 02:05
I think DJI is trying to act responsibly so that the FAA does not feel the need to put further restr ...

I do not understand why there is a different No Fly Zone for the P3. I can fly the P2 Vision plus V3 at the same spot.
2015-5-8
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

michael@mleidel Posted at 2015-5-9 02:21
I do not understand why there is a different No Fly Zone for the P3. I can fly the P2 Vision plus  ...

I have no idea.  Perhaps it's bug.  Perhaps not.  It's a good question for DJI.
2015-5-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

michael@mleidel Posted at 2015-5-9 02:21
I do not understand why there is a different No Fly Zone for the P3. I can fly the P2 Vision plus  ...

Could it be that the P3 is a new model and has new firmware and App?
2015-5-8
Use props
michael
lvl.2

Netherlands

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-9 02:48
Could it be that the P3 is a new model and has new firmware and App?

Is there a website with the correct NO Fly Zones?
When I look it up at the DJI website I can Take Off only with a limited altitude warning.
But the P3 thinks that I am standing in a NO Fly Zone. Which one is correct.
I think its not correct in the P3 firmware.

If this is the new standard then don't bij DJI P3 if you live in a big city nearby an airport like Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris, NY, LA etc.
2015-5-8
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

michael@mleidel Posted at 2015-5-9 03:44
Is there a website with the correct NO Fly Zones?
When I look it up at the DJI website I can Take  ...

Certainly would not be the first glitch in the new firmware.  I am sure DJI is working as fast as they can to correct these issues.
2015-5-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I live in Las Vegas and I am in within 5 miles of McCarran International.  I can take off without issue.  It is only when I am within 1.5miles of the center of the airport that I cannot take off.  Contact DJI.com and give them your latitude and longitude where you are trying to fly.  Ask them to research it.
2015-5-8
Use props
Calvette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103222 ft
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-9 04:13
I live in Las Vegas and I am in within 5 miles of McCarran International.  I can take off without is ...

At 5 miles out how high can you at your home?
2015-5-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Calvette Posted at 2015-5-9 04:27
At 5 miles out how high can you at your home?

About 400 feet.  but I limit my flights to about 100 feet.  The landing pattern is very near our home.  
2015-5-8
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

tchavalas@panos Posted at 2015-5-9 02:05
I think DJI is trying to act responsibly so that the FAA does not feel the need to put further restr ...

"I think DJI is trying to act responsibly so that the FAA does not feel the need to put further restrictions on drone flying in the USA."

The FAA will not base its policy on what DJI, an off-continent company, either does or does not do. It will base it on incidents in US soil.

"And those... "adults" you speak of were responsible for crashing a DJI drone on the white house lawn and several other near misses at airports."

No, those are idiots. Responsible flying is the solution, not bloatware.

"You can call DJI "nannies" all you want.  I think they are just trying to work with government agencies to help prevent private drones from be outlawed completely."

That won't work. Other drone types do not have nannyware, will not have them, Phantoms will be hacked,  and people will build their own drones. This sort of back-end nerfing is not going to stop the "incidents" from happening. The useful approach is to educate non-droners to the reality that MOST flyers can fly responsibly...and part of that is that the responsibility inheres in the person not in some software that "coerces" you to be responsible. You cannot coerce people to be responsible.  

"I am sure there will be "hacks" and workarounds eventually...  (Do so at your own risk.)  But I think DJI is doing the right thing to work with authorities to attempt to put sane limits on where you can fly these drones.  Many DJI customers are NOT experienced nor are they "adults"."

Many many more car drivers are not experienced and are not "adults" and do orders of magnitude more damage each year than drones are EVER going to do. The solution is still not to hobble the ordinary driver's vehicle to 10mph outside a retirement home.
2015-5-8
Use props
spencerpearse
lvl.2

United Kingdom

and.......sleep.  We get it, people are stupid.  PEOPLE ARE STUPID, YOU ARE NOT!  By simply asking the question, shows that you actually know the answer.  If you think it's wrong, don't do it.  Sorry, I don't mean to mock.
2015-5-8
Use props
michael
lvl.2

Netherlands

michael@mleidel Posted at 2015-5-9 01:28

I only want to test the P3 at home first before I  ...

DJI uses 2 different NO Fly Zones.

Different Radius and different center.

For P2:
http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc

For P3:
http://flysafe.dji.com/no-fly

2015-5-9
Use props
michael
lvl.2

Netherlands

How is it possible. You can fly in the extension of the runway at Oude Meer, but you can not fly if you are living in Amsterdam west Osdorp, Sloten.
2015-5-9
Use props
Alterastro
lvl.2

United Kingdom

The second one is more accurate as it covers all the runways etc. but there is a problem, as the second link doesn't include Heathrow or Gatwick in the UK?!?
2015-5-9
Use props
michael
lvl.2

Netherlands

Alterastro Posted at 2015-5-9 18:23
The second one is more accurate as it covers all the runways etc. but there is a problem, as the sec ...

Ha Ha they are too small
2015-5-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules