Curfew
2134 17 2018-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DanielTheRider
Second Officer
United States

Hey Pilots,
     Curious to know if there's a curfew at night to when we're no longer allowed to fly until the next day? As much as I enjoy flying during the day I also enjoy the night and seeing the lights on my drone as it flys by. I just have consideration for my neighbors as I don't want them to think I'm up to no good and also the sound of my Phantom buzzing by late at night might be a little weird.
2018-4-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Drone laws are governed by country - they're not international.  Also, laws in many countries differ depending on what rules you're flying under (e.g. Recreational, commercial, etc.).  So it's impossible to answer your question without more information.  
2018-4-2
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Never heard of a drone curfew, but it probably does happen somewhere in the world.
2018-4-2
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

In the USA,  if you are flying under FAA 107 rules,  you can fly up to but not past 30 min after sunset, and 30 min before sunrise.  You can fly at night time IF you have a Nightime waiver from the FAA.

If you are doing this you should have visible white strobes that can be seen up to 3  miles away........

Randy
2018-4-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It also depends where you fly within the country - some model aircraft clubs prohibit night flying whilst others allow it. It's a very open question.
2018-4-2
Use props
DanielTheRider
Second Officer
United States

I'm in California for regional specifics.
2018-4-2
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Federal law in the United States is you can fly one half hour before Civil Twilight (sunset) and one half hour before Civil Daylight (sunrise).
2018-4-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

DanielTheRider Posted at 2018-4-2 11:05
I'm in California for regional specifics.

So you're located in the United States.  Good.  

Next we need to know what rules you're flying under - Part 101 or Part 107?  
2018-4-2
Use props
DanielTheRider
Second Officer
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-4-2 12:11
So you're located in the United States.  Good.  

Next we need to know what rules you're flying under - Part 101 or Part 107?

Neither? I fly for fun not for business if that's what that means.
2018-4-2
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

DanielTheRider Posted at 2018-4-2 12:45

See post #4 it explains it the best overall

One point of clarification, many mix this up...
Civil Twilight is the time from Sunset to 30 minutes after sunset
...and then 30 minutes before Sunrise to Sunrise
Meaning, you can fly starting 30 min before sunrise and must be landed no later than 30 min after sunset.
Lastly, you are flying as a hobbyist this puts you under FAA Part 101 rules, 107 is for commercial operations using a drone i.e. for hire.
Hope that clarifies things
Fly Safe

2018-4-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

DanielTheRider Posted at 2018-4-2 12:45

Okay, good.  You fly as a hobbyist.  We're making progress.  

Presumably, when you fly, your Phantom is a model aircraft as described under Sec 336, which means you're following the rules of Part 101 subpart E, or at least you should be.  

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Sec_331_336_UAS.pdf

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/tex ... ;node=14:2.0.1.3.15

Next, we need to know which CBO's safety guidelines you follow per the rules (i.e. federal law) outlined in the links above... ?

(hint:  there's really only one)
2018-4-2
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Here in aus drone comes down when sun comes down unless you have a casa licence. Then you can fly restricted at night.
2018-4-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Better to check the local regulations to avoid further troubles.
2018-4-2
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

The 30' before sunrise / 30' after sunset rule is almost the same everywhere in the world.
I guess this follows the GA VFR flight rules.
2018-4-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Well...

It appears the OP has dropped out of his own thread.  That's okay, I think we can wrap it up with what we have from his three short posts.

Given his third post, it seems the OP has never heard of Part 101, so I think it's safe to assume he's not following a nationwide CBO's safety guidelines.  So, since he's not following a nationwide CBO's safety guidelines, his aircraft would not qualify for the Special Rule of Sec 336.  Which means he'd have to fly under Part 107.  And the rules for night flying and civil twilight under Part 107 is nicely explained in Post #4.  

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter - he wouldn't be able to fly at night or day - because the OP almost certainly hasn't passed his certification for Part 107, nor has his aircraft been registered under Part 107.  If he flew anyway, he'd be a Part 107 violator.  

The good news for him is, he can easily resolve this by simply reading and adhering to a nationwide CBO's safety guidelines as required under Sec 336 / Part 101.  Once he did that, and assuming he didn't violate anything else as described in the section, his aircraft flight would qualify under Sec 336.  And since there are no night-flying restrictions under Sec 336 or Part 101, all that would be left (other than his Sec 336 / Part 101 pilot registration with FAA and the marking of his aircraft) is to be sure there's nothing in his CBO's safety guidelines restricting or governing night flights.  

So assuming he chose to fly under AMA's safety guidelines, he would study AMA's safety code and safety handbook and learn that flying at night is permitted within the allowances described on page 8 of the handbook.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/100.pdf

Hence, he could then happily fly his Phantom all night long - no anti-collision lights required.  

Hope this helps... somebody.
2018-4-3
Use props
Badbobstikibar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 620112 ft
United States

Ya what he said .
2018-4-3
Use props
DanielTheRider
Second Officer
United States

Oooohhh ok. . I thought you only needed Part 107 if you planned on flying for a commission? Or is it also necessary even for leasure flying?
2018-5-21
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

DanielTheRider Posted at 2018-5-21 08:12
Oooohhh ok. . I thought you only needed Part 107 if you planned on flying for a commission? Or is it also necessary even for leasure flying?

107 is only needed when you are flying for profit of any kind. Hobby flying still needs to abide by the FAA rules for hobbyist.

To leisure fly you don't need part 107 but it is recommended to register your drone with the FAA just to show that you are following the rules of the FAA. When you register your drone with the FAA here are the rules you are agreeing to fly by.

FAA Acknowledgments of Safety Guidance (Check All) *
I will fly for hobby or recreation ONLY
I will register my model aircraft
I will fly within visual line-of-sight
I will follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization
I will fly a drone under 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
I will never fly near other aircraft
I will notify the airport and air traffic control tower prior to flying within 5 miles of an airport*
I will never fly near emergency response efforts
2018-5-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules