Day 1 Test - Camera seems to not be level?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

Here is a video from my Day 1 of flying with the P3 Professional. I love it so far but the only thing I'm noticing is that a lot of times, the camera seems not level at all. If I point the camera directly across the horizon, I can see it is not leveled but sometimes will randomly adjust throughout flight only to go back. Any fix for this? I don't want to mess with to much in the app on my own without first knowing exaclty what I should be adjusting (if need be).

VIDEO (i cut a lot that was not level, but hey, I just really wanted to share some of my test shots haha)
  Pause at 1:13 to see horizon and angle of camera.
2015-5-7
Use props
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

It happens with all the photos as well. I've pretty much had to make large adjustments in LR with crops for almost every image that gives off a horizon or some sign that the image should look level. Yikes.
2015-5-7
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

http://droneflyers.com/talk/thre ... ixes.969/#post-3007
2015-5-7
Use props
coreynach
lvl.2
Flight distance : 208589 ft
United States

Chances are it really isn't level. Question for you... Have you done the IMU calibration (on a perfectly level surface) followed by a full gimbal calibration (again, on the same level surface)?

While DJI certainly does calibrate this stuff before shipping, IMUs (which stands for Inertial Measurement Units) are sensitive to jostling. If they move slightly out of place, or get jostled, their reading may be slightly off... All of you gimbals settings will be affect by the IMU's settings. Find a perfectly level surface, Calibrate your IMU first, and then calibrate the gimbal again.

If you still get times where it seems the horizon levelness is drifting, than this could be more an issue with a "follow" setting in the gimbal...
2015-5-7
Use props
alex.unmannedte
New

United Kingdom

jwhite@schillin Posted at 2015-5-8 03:26
It happens with all the photos as well. I've pretty much had to make large adjustments in LR with cr ...

@jwhite Did you manage to solve your issue of the camera not staying horizontal on your DJI Phantom 3 by running the IMU calibration again?
2015-5-7
Use props
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

alex.unmannedte Posted at 2015-5-8 04:15
@jwhite Did you manage to solve your issue of the camera not staying horizontal on your DJI Phanto ...

Fixed the issue definitely.

Before pic and after pic below

B

A

2015-5-7
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

coreynach@gmail Posted at 2015-5-8 04:07
Chances are it really isn't level. Question for you... Have you done the IMU calibration (on a perfe ...

How do you do an IMU calibration?  Is this done via the Pilot App?
2015-5-7
Use props
coreynach
lvl.2
United States

john.lambert4@o Posted at 2015-5-8 07:13
How do you do an IMU calibration?  Is this done via the Pilot App?

It's in the Pilot App... I'm not at a place where I can get to my P3... It is in the Pilot app, but I remember it being kind of buried... you had to go through some places to find it... Anyways, once I get more used to the app, I'll be able to remember more from memory. You'll probably have it figured out by then, but I can let you know when I get home.
2015-5-7
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

coreynach@gmail Posted at 2015-5-8 07:32
It's in the Pilot App... I'm not at a place where I can get to my P3... It is in the Pilot app, bu ...

Thanks Coreynach.  I don't have my P3 yet unfortunately, but when I do I'll test this out if I find the shots aren't level.  It sounds like just about everything apart from firmware updates are done via the Pilot app! lol
2015-5-7
Use props
chrisongtj
lvl.1

Singapore

The gimbal can be calibrated via the app. It only takes 10 secs.
2015-5-7
Use props
coreynach
lvl.2
United States

john.lambert4@o Posted at 2015-5-8 07:34
Thanks Coreynach.  I don't have my P3 yet unfortunately, but when I do I'll test this out if I fin ...

Yes, if you are used to older DJI stuff, and used Naza assistant on a computer... that is an old thing... All the adjustments are now in the mobile App...
2015-5-7
Use props
shayd93
lvl.3
Flight distance : 247306 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the same issue, Calibration did not help but I was able to fix it with Gimbal roll offset which in the latest app version simply dissapeared, now all photos look like if the drone is seconds from falling from the sky.
2015-5-7
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

There is a level adjustment in the app.  It's in the camera settings.  You can adjust the level very easily.  All you have to do is read the manual or look through the camera settings.
2015-5-8
Use props
long
lvl.1
United States

For me the calibration does not work.  I have to use the roll setting (+3 for me) each time I restart.  Can not find anything in the camera setting for level.  Any help would be great as I am not getting much from DJI at the moment.
2015-5-25
Use props
sinbad_uk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117343 ft
United Kingdom

Beautiful property !

Tony
2015-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now