IPad 9.7 inch Gen 5
1728 11 2018-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GuitarFlyer47
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38747 ft
United States

Been using an IPHone 6s Plus with the DJI Go and DJI Go 4 Apps.  Seriously considering the IPAD 9.7 Gen 5 WiFi only IPAD for the luxury of a larger viewing area.  If I use my IPhone as a Personal Hotspot, will the GPS reliant functions work on the DJI Apps on the IPAD?   I understand the WiFi only IPad will not have GPS.  
2018-4-2
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

You will not be able to share GPS data over a hotspot.

Without a GPS receiver on your mobile device, you will not be able to use the Follow Me flight mode or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off. All other GPS-related features (e.g. RTH) use data from the Phantom's internal GPS receiver.
2018-4-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Given that the DJI apps seem to be demanding a gradual increase in processing power with each new version, I would suggest considering the smaller of the iPad Pro models. If you do not see yourself wanting to make use of the follow me function or resetting the home point to the location of the RC unit, then no need to buy a cellular version. Better still, see if you can get one from a pawn shop, I got mine that way at a good price.
2018-4-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

As discussed above, the aircraft has its own GPS receiver. If you do not need the features of Follow Me and Refresh the Home Point, there is no need to connect the iPad with hotspot.
2018-4-2
Use props
djiuser_iGJqCoTNTQSa
lvl.4

Get the iPad 6th gen. It has a superior processor at pretty much the same price.
2018-4-2
Use props
GuitarFlyer47
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38747 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-2 18:37
As discussed above, the aircraft has its own GPS receiver. If you do not need the features of Follow Me and Refresh the Home Point, there is no need to connect the iPad with hotspot.

This might be a dumb question, but can I use an IPAD that has WiFi, GPS, and Cellular features without a sim card.....would GPS work on the device w/o any cell phone service?
2018-4-3
Use props
CanonMax
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

GuitarFlyer47 Posted at 2018-4-3 05:21
This might be a dumb question, but can I use an IPAD that has WiFi, GPS, and Cellular features without a sim card.....would GPS work on the device w/o any cell phone service?

yes... I am pretty sure about that...
2018-4-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

This might be a dumb question, but can I use an IPAD that has WiFi, GPS, and Cellular features without a sim card.....would GPS work on the device w/o any cell phone service?

Yes it will work fine.
2018-4-3
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Yes, whether the mobile device has SIM card or not will not affect the normal flying.
2018-4-6
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

External Bluetooth gps modules are a possibility, I’ve used one in the past with a 4 gen iPad, worked great. They cost around 30 bucks..
2018-4-7
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-4-7 01:25
External Bluetooth gps modules are a possibility, I’ve used one in the past with a 4 gen iPad, worked great. They cost around 30 bucks..

Bluetooth operates on the 2.4GHz frequency band too, you might introduce interference for yourself using BT equipment.
2018-4-7
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

KedDK Posted at 2018-4-7 02:04
Bluetooth operates on the 2.4GHz frequency band too, you might introduce interference for yourself using BT equipment.

Possible but never had an issue...
2018-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules