Auto-Start video in GO ?
2918 27 2018-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Litchi has an option to enable Auto-Start video on take-off ... with it also auto stop on landing.

Having at times forgotten or missed starting video with GO ... maybe it could be written into GO ??

Anyone else ?

Nigel

2018-4-2
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, I would recommend you tap the record button to start recording video when you take off your drone. Thanks for your supprot.
2018-4-3
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-3 00:15
Hi, I would recommend you tap the record button to start recording video when you take off your drone. Thanks for your supprot.

HI Elektra .... I think maybe you miss my point.

Yes I do ... in fact I usually use the button on the controller. Bt there are times when I land out to find I forgot to start recording.

Litchi has an option to Auto-Start the video as soon as you start take-off ... means you NEVER forget to record.

Nigel
2018-4-3
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I asked for this a wee while back too, this is a must have option and been asked for many times....
2018-4-3
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Many supportive replies to my suggestion on other forums as well for this feature ....

C'mon DJI ... if LItchi can do it ... why not GO ? (That's both GO before 4 and GO 4)

Nigel
2018-4-3
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

maybe it could be written into GO ?? ... in fact yes it just a order in programing language : go to
2018-4-3
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

it is a very good issue that worth to be commented i forget click the rec button lot of times ....
2018-4-3
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

solentlife Posted at 2018-4-3 02:36
HI Elektra .... I think maybe you miss my point.

Yes I do ... in fact I usually use the button on the controller. Bt there are times when I land out to find I forgot to start recording.

I see. Your requirement was forwarded. Hope it will be added in the feature of drone someday. Thanks for your support.
2018-4-7
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Litchi is far superior to go anyway
2018-4-7
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-4-7 01:26
Litchi is far superior to go anyway

Not in all matters.

You still need GO to register / set up / calibrate certain functions that Litchi does not have. Litchi even asks you to complete GO aspects ...

I was a confirmed Litchi user before - but lately I have returned to using GO. Not really sure why - but I just feel less nervous using GO ... Litchi hasn't done anything to make me move away ...

For this small addition to GO - it would be a big advantage ... and as with Litchi - hopefully it will be optional user function.

Nigel
2018-4-7
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Yes, we need an auto-video start with Go.  Nice thing about Litchi is the Litchi log AND the video start on the same second, so besides the benefit of the vid starting up automatically, the vid is already synced up with the Litchi data log (the down side is there would be no log prior to starting the motors).  
2018-4-7
Use props
ArgenBrewer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18638 ft
Argentina

Let's keep this topic active so it does not get chilled and rattle on the minds of the DJI guys until they incorporate it! Yesterday they released an update of Go but they did not include it ...
2018-5-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

I agree with the above, DJI should add a feature enabling auto-record when taking off, but it should also include auto-stop when landing.
2018-5-4
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft

That feature should be settable from takeoff to landing via start and stop of an intelligent flight as POI Follow me or way point missions.
2018-5-6
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-4 15:36
I agree with the above, DJI should add a feature enabling auto-record when taking off, but it should also include auto-stop when landing.

In LItchi - the option to auto-start video includes auto-stop anyway.

It really is handy - I have forgotten to tap the red button a few times with GO and kicked myself for it.

Nigel
2018-6-9
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Peterx Posted at 2018-5-6 00:19
That feature should be settable from takeoff to landing via start and stop of an intelligent flight as POI Follow me or way point missions.

Why only those modes ? Litchi gives you option to Auto-Start for ALL modes.

Nigel
2018-6-9
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

I agree with you,Nigel. This option should be able to start from time point to start as you wish it begins and ends.
2018-6-9
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Hong Kong

So we have had updates and still no auto-start / stop to video with GO.

C'mon DJI ... it's not that hard to have a command line in that gives user option to have auto-start if they want ...

I honestly believe this is one of the reasons many people use Litchi .. I now there are other reasons as well ...

Nigel
2018-8-14
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182913 ft

You need to understand that this is a flying camera platform.  I think that flying get people excited and they forget why or what they are doing.
I did the same thing a few times before it hit me....Having your drone recording from the start creates a ton of unusable vid's.
Now.....I have no trouble remembering what I'm doing......Taking pictures and vid's.....
Why force a bunch of new stuff on the firmware if it really doesn't matter ?Everyone calls the firmware BLOTED to start with.
I can imagine the look on the DJI staff when they hear that we can't remember what we're doing with their photo drones ??
2018-8-15
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Denmark

Sorry Odan ... I appreciate we all have our opinions and I respect that.

Your point of unwanted footage in a recording is taken - but I think you need to try Litchi and how it works with Auto Start recording. The Recording starts immediately you take-off but YOU always have the stop / start option as normal via the screen or the controller button. It is not just a START and that's it with no user control.
Second I think the majority of users are not professional or commercial operators looking for business shots / recordings. They are maybe like me - a person who wants a camera platform quad for better quality shots / recordings but purely as personal / domestic reasons.
Third - I think we all regardless of how good or selective we are in recording end up with videos that need serious editing of content.

So on the point of unwanted video content ?? Think that's answered in my view.

OK - bloated FW ? Its not a FW matter actually ... its for GO and its only s simple 1 line code command, not actually adding much to it. Litchi is not FW and it has it in commanding any FW you choose to have installed on your Phantom ... so I don't understand the bloated comment.

DJI laughing at us ? Why - they already have auto-record of Home Point ... so what's so different ?

Having asked people face to face who operate camera multi-rotors, asked on this and other forums - I have had a truly positive response from users ... just look above here at posts ...

I respect your opinion and IF DJI do enact auto-start video on take-off - YOU still have option to not enable it in the settings.

Just out of interest : Have you flown with Litchi yet and actually tried this function ? If not - I ask if you may consider it and then re-evaluate your view on it - possibly you will like it ... who knows ?

Cheers
Nigel
2018-8-15
Use props
Odan
lvl.4

Well.....Thanks for the input.  I like to plan my flights.  I figure out what I'm going to photograph and work on that.
To me....When you take a DSLR out all you do is turn the camera on and start shooting.  Same with video's.   I can't think of anyone who forgets to turn on their camera and not get photos.
As I said in my post. "hantoms are photo platform"  I can't comprehend how a person could forget to use it like a camera.
I did at first forget several times to turn on video but I learned quickly what I was  up in the air for.
I would prob never use auto on myself because of eating up SD card.
I read the posts for the Inspire series because I'm interested in getting one of those.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone there wishing for an auto start video option.

I have been doing photography for decades. I've even worked for a PI so maybe I'm just more aware of what I'm doing with a camera in the first place.
I really don't care where they put the function....It will still mean more chances for  a program error.

Like what you like,  for me...….I never forget what I'm doing and don't have any use for auto vid record.
But if you are using a higher end unit you know what your plans are and are executed like a director of a move.

I only see about 5-6 replies stating a desire for auto record out of several thousand drones out there.  

The saying "worthless as tits on a boar" comes to mind.

2018-8-16
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Netherlands

Odan if you want to quote based on just this thread on this forum - fine. But in fact I have many more positive replies to me personally via emails / PMs and threads on other forums.

To be honest and I say with respect and not to insult - but I find your last post to be a bit patronising. Your view is your view as is mine.

There are many options in GO already that majority do not use - but there are useful functions such as auto record Home Point ... battery monitoring ... and so on ... basically reagrding the user as shall we say - less able !!

Litchi is a platform used by many including those using DJI commercially ... and they don't moan or object to that line of code .......... in fact I know 3 guys personally who do fly DJI for profit AND use Litchi AND use the auto start function. When they then need to select shots or partial videos - they hit the buttons same as if auto hadn't been enabled. The resulting recordings have in fact often according to them, supplied cuts from the auto section to be in the final - they would not have had if manually engaged.

Sorry but your argument quoting a DLSR is another world as it is in your hand, you will view the subject and press a button to take a photo - rarely using it for video.

Majority of users are casual non commercial .... and auto start function would be of advantage ... The size of SD card is basically no more because of it ... as most increase their card size to 64Gb and so on anyway. How many users actually fill such cards during a session ? In the time I'vr had camera drones (I have actually 5 including the 2 DJI's) - I can only think of a few occasions when I have used a smaller card.

Final comment - if a person is so concerned about commercial use and action  as you seem to suggest for yourself - why are they using DJI GO and a P3 ? surely this is then Inspire / more professional arena with more sophisticated control software ?  Using a P3 or P4 for serious commercial work strikes me as driving a street car in a F1 race !!  

Nigel
2018-8-17
Use props
Odan
lvl.4

Two words.....Situational awareness.    Having spent 10yrs in Navy as Aviation Ordnance man and on to EOD these two word are a life saver. Pilots first learn to fly then begin training with dummy ordnance
then on to live ordnance.   All functions are activated by piolets.  At first many piolets forget the order of switch ology.    The A/C returns with unused ordnance.

After much practice and training they get it.   First we need to learn to fly a drone. Then we should be able to learn the photographic aspects of our drone.

Once flying becomes second nature we can go on to learning how to do photography.  Drones can be dangerous.  As you have stated in another post  "These things are flying meat cleavers."

Safety is somewhat understated when it comes to drone flying.  As you stated with your concern about DJI advertising it's smaller drones flying inside and around people.  I agree with you that this is

not a good idea.  I'm not a pro photographer.  I do like the idea of changeable lenses. That's my only interest in a more high end drone.   

I used to hunt too. I can't tell you how many times I went to shoot and forgot to switch off the safety.  Missed that shot.  Lots of hunters have this experience and no one asks manufacture to have auto safety off.
The better hunter you become the less you forget to unlock safety.  I'm not a frequent flyer,  I have only about 90.000meters total flight distant not including RC Heli's I have no videos to post that would be considered good.   
My point is.....we should all learn to fly before we start making photos or videos.  Even though the Phantom series is an entry level photographic drone training is paramount. Once flying a drone becomes second nature Then one can concentrate on taking photos and videos.  Many DJI flyers don't even know how to use the RTH function correctly.  
During explosive training we were trained with what they called the 4 W's.  What,  why,  when and where.  If you forget one of these w's you could get killed or kill someone else.
Apply this (situational awareness ) to our flying meat cleavers...  and you will have less trouble with your mission,  Which in this case is making photos and videos.

I'm not saying that a person is dumb if they forget to start their video function....But I am saying that flying has to become second nature before any attempting photo video missions.

Keep your friends close,  Keep your drones even closer.

2018-8-18
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Sweden

Hi Odan ... I am loving the debate ... rarely get chance to have meaningful debates nowadays. I think most people have forgotten or never learned.

Me ? 17yrs Senior Ships cargo and Navigation Officer - in war zones and various included. People would be surprised that often we the Merch go into areas that even the Andrews (RN) think twice about !
I've been Saigon River ... Iran Iraq Conflict running shuttles .. first Iranian and later Iraqi ..
Then moved onto shore and was in war zones such as GW1 ... Haiti ... Nicaragua ....
My work has over time developed into strategic supply for Military and Civilian .. as well as organising superintendence of shipping / cargoes. This includes Russia and Crimea before durinf and after take-over ... Nigeria ... Afghanistan .... Libya .... as examples ...
Negotiating supply contracts literally anywhere in the world required.

So on the subject of schedulised and stepped training - I think you can appreciate - I may have similar view. Actually yes full on. Crawl .. stand up ... hobble ... walk ,,, then run  I think is best describe it.

But I have to be honest and think that considering yours and my background and historys are not really relevant as we are talking a Hobby Grade Camera Multi Rotor (I think you can appreciate to me the word Drone implies a vastly different machine - as for you no doubt). Absolute gormless twits can fly a P3 ... we only have to see some of the stupid antics they get up to.
But that's again not the issue.

If we take your stance - then it would be fair to say you would claim that we should learn to initiate Home Point Recording at start up. But in fact DJI has decided to do that automatically for us.

I do not consider the addition of Auto Start Video to be any breach of training or learning curve. It just modifies it, because basically its still same function just with an auto start added.

If we come into the RC world .. I have many models that require 6 .. 7 ... 8 channels to have all the functions I fit. Then I equate that with the Ordnance graduation you quoted. (I agree its a different ball game but I think you know what I mean). But the DJI is basically for flyers a 4ch automaton ... that is designed for those less RC able.

Cheers
Nigel
2018-8-18
Use props
Vetinari
lvl.4
Flight distance : 34039 ft

United States

Like to bump this one again. The option to stop and start video recording at takeoff and landing is really useful and adding this to the GO app would be easy to do. As to the mentions that only a few have asked for this, it may well be that most have just given up asking because its never been implemented.
   Hats off to any drone pilot who has such extraordinary powers of focus as to never forget to hit the record button on takeoff, but I think that most of us will occasionally forget to do so.

2018-12-18
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Odan Posted at 8-16 07:33
Well.....Thanks for the input.  I like to plan my flights.  I figure out what I'm going to photograph and work on that.
To me....When you take a DSLR out all you do is turn the camera on and start shooting.  Same with video's.   I can't think of anyone who forgets to turn on their camera and not get photos.
As I said in my post. "hantoms are photo platform"  I can't comprehend how a person could forget to use it like a camera.

Your comparison of a drone to a DLSR is in fact inaccurate, its not likely you will be wanting to be video recording from the get go with a DSLR, your DSLR is not up in the air with other concerns going through your mind such as low hover testing, low flight testing and so on, therefore its quite easy to know where you are at with a DSLR, i mean, its not like you DSLR camera has props or the like is it?

Just the other month i could have done with Auto Record, i am only a hobbyist, had already done the flight checks etc on a previous battery, when the farmer came along and asked if i would video him crop spraying, i said i would, he said it would only take him about 20 minutes, i said no worries. Well, about 15 mins in to the filming i realised i had not started the recording. I was too busy trying to get the intro right, starting below ground level in a drainage ditch, then  proceeded to do a nice manual orbit, and a few reveals, by then he was over half way complete when i realised, not the 1st time i'd done it either, so for the many that can and do make mistakes, it would be an invaluable  option, for those that are infallible, you will never need to enable it

As for the option to break code, i think DJI have done quite well so far, dont you? yeah theres the odd glitch, but that goes without saying when adding new options to the software on the fly, i mean post launch,  the auto record is but a small option, and many would hardly know its there tucked away in the camera settings

The option to turn on AUTO Recording would be brill, it would suit both worlds and be a great compromise and a step in the right direction, i mean, i least then we will know if DJI do actually listen to its customers????

Sorry Nigel, i failed to catch the last replies at the time, i am still deffo wanting this option!!! lol
2018-12-18
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

C'mon DJI ... Auto Start / Stop Video ..... with option to enable / disable ... and still use the buttons ...

I have graduated BACK to LITCHI now ... its b****y cold out there and auto start means I can leave my gloves on not needing to touch RED dot ... (yes I know I have the Controller buttons) ... but still nice to know recording has started moment she lifts off.

Nigel
2018-12-19
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I prefer DJI Go, i am not sure why though, just do, if i was a pro then i would probably use Litchi purely for the auto start....
2018-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules