Mavic Air compared with Pro: soft for distant objects?
1261 16 2018-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jh8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Another video quality comparison between MP and Air (not my video):

The Air footage looks very soft compared to the Pro for distant objects like the houses (the entire upper part of the frame). I also noticed this in more comparison videos, and I am starting to wonder if this is a common issue with the Air? I already returned an Air because of this after comparing videos with material from the Pro I used to own, and even photos taken with my Spark look much sharper and much more pleasing IMO. I really like all the cool features on the Air, but this is a deal breaker for me. Am I too critical about this, or have others noticed this as well? I am looking at all material on a 27" 4k monitor in native resolution.

Other comparisons:

2018-4-3
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Thank you for the comparison between the two.
I have the MP but the MA is also impressive. I thought the MP was a bit sharper.

2018-4-3
Use props
jh8
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Please note this is not my video!
2018-4-3
Use props
Kevjones1959
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61932 ft

South Africa

You are correct ! They camera software needs some tweaking. The RAW files have so much more detail but it's such a pain to work with them.
2018-4-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

The weird thing is that it is only in the distance that the 'air' is giving softer results.
Not sure if that is on the raw footage also.
2018-4-3
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi there, thank you for your support to DJI products, if there is any further issue, please feel free to let us know, we'll here for help. Hope you have a good time on flying the drone.
2018-4-3
Use props
Jason WAI
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3136201 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Pro is better than air
2018-4-3
Use props
jh8
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

I looked at RAW images as well, and there is the same lack of sharpness for distant objects. I am pretty sure it cannot be solved  in software/FW. I was really disappointed by this, since both Spark and Pro gve sharp overall images!

What I just would like to know is if this only affects some (early?) units, or is just by design in the Air.
2018-4-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

jh8 Posted at 2018-4-3 22:27
I have lookad at RAW images as well, and there is the same lack of sharpness for distant objects. I am pretty sure it cannot be solved  in software/FW. I was really disappointed by this, since both Spark and Pro gve sharp overall images!

What I just would like to know is if this only affects some (early?) units, or is just by design in the Air.

I have read reports on other fora from users that got a replacement Air because of this issue and the new one did NOT have the issue.
Can't confirm that since I don't own the Air.
But if that is true, there might be some affected batches produced.
So if you have this issue, it might be worth starting a support case.
2018-4-4
Use props
jh8
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

The few reports I saw may have been actual lens errors of individual units.
But it now looks like the softness of distant objects may be a design issue.
2018-4-4
Use props
RimasRS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3225 ft
France

I think there is simple answer to that Air have locked focus which is not the case with PRO
2018-4-4
Use props
jh8
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

That in itself does not explain the issue, Spark is also fixed focus and produces sharp JPG photos.

2018-4-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14501142 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good comparative between the two.
2018-4-4
Use props
jh8
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

I had the Pro but sold it because in reality I never took it with me because it was still too big/heavy for my taste. I then bought the Spark which I still like very much because of its small footprint, weight, robustness, the fact that it's ready-to-go and its sharp images. Of course the Air is much better in many other ways, so I'd really like to try one again But now I want to make sure there are also units out there that are capable of taking sharp images from close up to infinity, unlike the samples mentioned above.
(These are not my videos btw.)
2018-4-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

jh8 Posted at 2018-4-5 09:14
I had the Pro but sold it because in reality I never took it with me because it was still too big/heavy for my taste. I then bought the Spark which I still like very much because of its small footprint, weight, robustness, the fact that it's ready-to-go and its sharp images. Of course the Air is much better in many other ways, so I'd really like to try one again But now I want to make sure there are also units out there that are capable of taking sharp images from close up to infinity, unlike the samples mentioned above.
(These are not my videos btw.)

That I would like to know too.
I have seen a lot of Air video's here and most have this distance blurred effect.
I don't believe this is because of the focus lock. I don't think with such tiny sensor the effect between infinity and 'close to infinity' will be that big.
But I'm not sure.
2018-4-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

RimasRS Posted at 2018-4-4 06:49
I think there is simple answer to that Air have locked focus which is not the case with PRO

I don't think with such tiny sensor the effect between infinity and 'close to infinity' will be that big.
But I'm not sure.
2018-4-5
Use props
jh8
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

I am glad to report that I received another unit (production date March 2018) and the lens is sharp, also for distant objects.
Maybe there is a problem with individual units, maybe a Q/C issue but at least I know images can be as sharp as with Spark/MP!
2018-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules