iPad Air 2 or iPad mini 3 - which is best for the Phantom3?
12Next >
30372 43 2015-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Dear community

Which iPad would you get for your Phantom 3, and why?

iPad Air 2
This has an "A8" processor. Is this a (significant) advantage with regards to running the DJI Pilot app and streaming video?

iPad mini 3
This has an "A7" processor.

Things to perhaps consider;
- are the screens similar (huge importance for flying P3s; reflectiveness of the screen + brightness=
- is 64GB or even 128GB needed?
- is the Wireless+WiFi a benefit? The Wireless (Sim-card) version has a GPS. The WiFi-only does not (but can locate itself somewhat with WiFi)
- battery; does the Air have a bigger battery and thus lasts longer (flying a Phantom uses a lot of iPad battery).
- size of screen (good and bad)
- weight and "clunkyness" of the Air 2 vs mini 3?

Other things to consider?

PS: I currently use an iPad Air (original) 16GB. It works. Is highly reflective. Lag appears to be negligent, but haven't tested much.

-

Buy your DJI-gear, batteries, cases by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-7
Use props
s_nyky.yahoo
lvl.2

Canada

I just got an iPad mini 3, still have firmware update to do so I haven't really used it. Why would you need a 64 GB or 128 GB? I got the 16 GB for cost reasons, but it will be exclusively for my P3. Would you want more space for photos?
2015-5-7
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

s_nyky.yahoo Posted at 2015-5-8 05:08
I just got an iPad mini 3, still have firmware update to do so I haven't really used it. Why would y ...

Good point. For one think - the iPad would be used for other things. But I was also thinking if the Phantom might use up quite a lot of room on the iPad if it could - to store photos and even videos - also for the builtin editor "Director".

Honestly, I edit on the computer. And I shoot in LOG-mode etc. But perhaps you would need more room if you'd decide to make some "Director" videos right on the iPad.

It would also be nice to have room for some of your edited Phantom-movies on the iPad - so you can showcase it to other people easily.
2015-5-7
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

I had the same basic question, except I already decided on the Mini.  But now it's between the Mini 2 or 3.  Mine will also be dedicated to the PH3, so I won't get cellular.  The consenses so far from the forum appears to be the Mini 2/32MB.  I'll be saving videos and such on a networked storage device, and using a laptop for editing.  

But I could definitely see keeping a few of the best videos on the iPad for show and tell.  I'll have to run some math on file sizes for 4K and 1080 videos and figure how much memory I think I'll need (ha, then double it).  : )
2015-5-7
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-5-8 05:31
I had the same basic question, except I already decided on the Mini.  But now it's between the Mini  ...

I wasn't even considering other/older versions. But it might make sense.

Personally I would use it for other things, but main motivation is to work with the P3.

This list might be helpful:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

It can also be useful to look at Macrumor's Buying Guide before buying Apple-stuff, to try to avoid at a bad time in the upgrade-cycle:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPad_Mini

- both the Air and the Mini are "Mid-cycle" so it would likely be a fairly long wait before a new and better version is out (or that the other versions get cheaper for that matter).
2015-5-7
Use props
vmp
lvl.3

United States

Personally, I love using the iPad Air 2 when flying the P3. I find it very hard using the iPhone 6+ after using the iPad. I don't see any problems with the weight of the iPad either; no arm fatigue.

The extra storage is helpful if you plan on caching several videos on your device.
2015-5-7
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

iPad mini 2 here.  Works great.   Very light.   16 mb wifi.  249 refurbished.   Dedicated to purpose
2015-5-7
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

I will recommend Air 2.
2015-5-7
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

I went with the iPad Mini 2 -- since it has the same processor as the iPad Mini 3.
2015-5-7
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-5-8 11:18
I will recommend Air 2.

What are the reasons?
2015-5-7
Use props
sonofsky2010
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Air 2 may be better. The cpu of air2 is  much better than mini.
2015-5-7
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-8 12:12
What are the reasons?

Processor is better, it will effect the video feed I think/
2015-5-8
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

The iPad Air 2 has a better processor, and they did reduce the screen reflectiveness on the Air 2 over the 1st Air and other models.  It is noticeable.  It still has glare.  On any Apple device, setting your display to its brightest setting helps.
2015-5-8
Use props
joanenricc
lvl.2

Spain

I have a Samsung Tab 3. My first test was with this tablet, and the app doesn't run as well as it could run... problems with the video, and also some disconnections.  That was on saturday. Yesterday, my bro lent me his iPad Mini 2...and I saw the light Video is perfect, no disconnections at all, and flying at the same place and also at 120 meters high...

So, I have a new tablet now hehe... second hand, but as mint condition...
2015-5-11
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-8 12:12
What are the reasons?

Air2 is currently the strongest tablet, not only in the ios world but Android as well.  Just look at the benchmarks. The Nvidia shield is not bad but Air2 performes much better. The only problem i see is the possible "reboot bug" regarding the A8 devices. When you switch of hardware decode you will waste the nice performance of the tablet.
2015-5-11
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

joanenricc@yaho Posted at 2015-5-12 01:41
I have a Samsung Tab 3. My first test was with this tablet, and the app doesn't run as well as it co ...

IOS has also disconnections, i guess its a software bug.
2015-5-11
Use props
JPWeb
New

United States

Do you need an IPad with Cell capability?  What capabilities do you not have access to if you have a IPad Air 2 Wifi model?

Has anyone found a good solution for HDMI Out to goggles while using an iPad?
2015-5-15
Use props
buburub
lvl.1

United States

Hey guys I think I tried everything - (iPhone 6, Note 3, Samsung 7"Tab, iPad Mini 2, iPad Air 2)

My Favorite - iPad Mini 2 or 3

Why not a cell phone like a Note 3 or iPhone 6 - It works in a pinch but if you want to do precise and delicate filming and your trying to maneuver in between tight spaces, the lack of screen space makes it a bit claustrophobic and prevents you from having confidence in certain conditions due to the lack of perspective.

Why not the iPad Air or Air 2 - Too heavy and makes you a little weary of bringing to different places because your afraid of dropping it and breaking an expensive tablet. The same reason I don't bring my SLR everywhere - too heavy, bulky and prone to get damaged. Not balanced, too front heavy. Even though the screen is bigger I find myself only looking at the middle of the screen during filming and not even utilizing the outer edge of the visual periphery thereby rendering the extra screen space almost a waste.

Why the iPad mini 2 or 3 - Perfect balance in terms of weight. You don't feel like your transporting something too heavy and delicate like your going to break it. This actually makes it easier for you to bring it to different events without reservation. It's kinda weird but true. Very similar like....not bringing an SLR to all events because its to heavy and expensive. You rather bring a point and shoot camera or even your cell phone. Even though the processor specs are slower than the iPad Air 2 you don't feel the lag in real time flight transmission or display. Most importantly it gives you the perfect perspective to do precise filming with confidence and feeling comfortable. There is such a thing as too big of a screen for optimal visual control and comfort. The cell phones are too small and the large iPads are too large, the iPad mini is just right!!

I tried it all because I have all of these devices lying around and I feel the Ipad Mini 2 is the best size. Why not the Mini 3? Well...same processor speed and resolution for $100 more?!? does not make any sense!!
2015-5-15
Use props
espinosa.josero
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8320 ft
Mexico

iPad air 2 for sure!
2015-5-15
Use props
samrob52
lvl.2

United Kingdom

JPWeb Posted at 2015-5-16 07:59
Do you need an IPad with Cell capability?  What capabilities do you not have access to if you have a ...

I've asked about cellular previously and purchased a wifi only myself.

One benefit of the cellular model is that you are able to load the map preview on location. Otherwise you have to cache the maps from a wifi spot before your trip
2015-5-15
Use props
willieb1172
lvl.1

United States

samrob52@yahoo. Posted at 2015-5-16 14:11
I've asked about cellular previously and purchased a wifi only myself.

One benefit of the cellula ...

I plan to tether via my iPhone 6 Plus; however, there may be some inconvenience with having to turn on the hotspot and connecting before each flight.

I can't decide between the air and the mini. I have an iPad Air at work I'm going to try, and I'm going to try my kid's iPad Mini 2. I may post back my results.
2015-7-27
Use props
jon.godfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I've tried both and the Sheild.  I went with the Mini3 in the end as it light weight but actually all are good.  I've had zero disconnections after flying in flight mode which avoids WIFI channel issues.
2015-7-27
Use props
Scotts
lvl.2

United States

willieb1172 Posted at 2015-7-28 01:30
I plan to tether via my iPhone 6 Plus; however, there may be some inconvenience with having to tur ...

I also use the Ipad Mini 3 64G with Cell service and I haven't had any problems.
2015-7-27
Use props
mphelan
lvl.3
Ireland

iPad mini 2 for me.... never had an issue of any kind with it. Perfect video feed and no freezes, blackouts or any issues whatsoever. Same chip as mini 3 just nicer price.
2015-7-27
Use props
aviin
lvl.1

United States

Don't have my P3P yet, but I decided on (and already purchased) a Mini 2 based on what I'd already read on the topic for the same reasons people have already posted in this thread (good performance, nice balance between weight and physical dimensions versus screen size, cheaper than the Mini 3 but has the same specs).  One thing to note about Wifi Only versus Wifi+Cellular is that you can't reset your home point mid-flight with a Wifi Only model because they lack GPS capability (GPS on the tablet/phone is used to establish where to set the new home point).  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that.
2015-7-27
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
  • >>>
United States

aviin, If you do not get the cellular version of the iPad, you will not be able to set the home point to the position of the iPad (your current position). You will still be able to reset the home point to the Phantom's current position though. If you decide to get the cellular version, GPS will still work even if you do not activate the cell service on the iPad.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-7-28
Use props
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

No problems at all with my mini2 - works perfect
2015-7-28
Use props
willieb1172
lvl.1

United States

I just bought an iPad Mini 2 64GB Verizon. Here's why:

Pertaining to the iPad Mini 3 I decided on the iPad Mini 2 because it's $100 cheaper and I didn't consider the small differences (fingerprint sensor and Apple Pay) worth it since the processor is the same. The Air 1 also has the same processor.

I had the opportunity of trying out an iPad Air 1 and an iPad Mini 2 while flying my Phantom 3 Pro. My kids all have iPad Mini 2s and I have an iPad Air 1 at work. I also have an iPhone 6 Plus. I tried all 3 and compared side by size the differences. Here's what I found:

There's a big difference between the iPhone 6 Plus and both iPads. The iPads use the iPad app which things are laid out differently with more area to work with. I liked the iPad app over the iPhone app hands down.

There was not a huge difference between the iPad Air 1 and the iPad Mini 2 regarding viewing the Phantom 3 video output. There was however, a huge difference in physical size. The Air 1 looked too big compared to the controller, and was a bit top heavy. Objects were a bit larger on the iPad Air 1 but not enough to out weigh the cons IMO.

Then I went on a quest to find the best deal I could on an iPad Mini 2. I did NOT want a 16GB. It's not enough. My kids' iPad Mini 2s are 32GB but previously their iPad 2s were 16GB and I was constantly answering tech questions pertaining to being out of space. I wanted at least a 32GB. I also didn't care much for cellular since I had my iPhone as a hotspot for free.

I live in a small town and do most of my shopping online. I usually hit up Amazon, eBay, newegg, and a couple other sites I have purchasing history with. I happened to have a Walmart gift card so I decided to check there also. Believe it or not, walmart had the best price on an iPad Mini 2 32GB with Verizon for $329, which was cheaper than the iPad Mini 2 32GB without Verizon at $379. Long story short I had issues with purchasing online with Walmart and ended up purchasing an iPad via Verizon. I ordered it twice with Walmart and they canceled it 3 times because of "...could not verify payment information". I got fed-up and happened to look on Verizon and found the iPad Mini 2 64GB with Cellular for the same price at $329 with contract. I didn't mind the $10 a month and it would save me from having to connect to the hotspot every time.

So in the ended up with an iPad Mini 2 64GB with Verizon for $329. Maybe this will help someone else looking to do the same.
2015-7-31
Use props
apsphoto
lvl.2

United States

I prefer Android but I bought an Air 2 to work with the P3, and it is great, the bigger screen is a pleasure to frame the video or stills. Get a Padhat, makes it very easy to see even is bright light. Well worth the money.

Alan
2015-7-31
Use props
BRENT1956
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3686975 ft
United States

iPad mini 4, with wifi and cellular beats all the above! works flawlessly so far 12 flights
2015-10-5
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
  • >>>
United States

jjejfjf Posted at 2015-10-5 20:33
I heard the mini 2 and mini 3 were the same except for the fingerprint reader on the 3

That's correct.
2015-10-5
Use props
dji.blitzk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1752986 ft
  • >>>
United States

BRENT1956@GMAIL Posted at 2015-10-5 19:22
iPad mini 4, with wifi and cellular beats all the above! works flawlessly so far 12 flights

Nope... the Mini4 has only 2/3 the CPU power that the Air 2 does.
2015-10-5
Use props
silverxrider.me
lvl.2

United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-5-11 10:50
IOS has also disconnections, i guess its a software bug.

Funny, I have over 100 flights on the Air2 without one disconnect, I think people are not setting them up correctly.
2015-10-5
Use props
BRENT1956
lvl.2
United States

dji.blitzk Posted at 2015-10-5 22:02
Nope... the Mini4 has only 2/3 the CPU power that the Air 2 does.

Airs to bulky and who needs 2/3 more cpu, if it works for you and your happy, I am pleased for you
2015-10-7
Use props
dji.blitzk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1752986 ft
  • >>>
United States

BRENT1956@GMAIL Posted at 2015-10-7 19:28
Airs to bulky and who needs 2/3 more cpu, if it works for you and your happy, I am pleased for you

I don't think the Air is "too" bulky and that extra core makes a huge difference, imho.  DJI go probably works fine on the mini4 and if "you're" happy with it, great.  I just think price-wise the 2 logical choices out right now are the mini2 and the Air 2.... Either way you can't say the "Mini4...beats all the above" because clearly it does not.

2015-10-7
Use props
BRENT1956
lvl.2
United States

dji.blitzk Posted at 2015-10-8 08:50
I don't think the Air is "too" bulky and that extra core makes a huge difference, imho.  DJI go pr ...

Your choice is fine and so is mine, hope that we all have safe and trouble free flights from Birds to controllers to mobile devices and firmware!
2015-10-9
Use props
telecam
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1540384 ft
  • >>>
United States

iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2  Live HD feeds work great, I wanted something in between and tried a Mini 1 and it's not working at all, blocky video and slow refresh.  Would a Mini 2 be close in performance to iPhone 6 and work well?

Best,
2015-10-24
Use props
info
lvl.3
Flight distance : 94964 ft
Italy

about the memory of device..... I tink that the storage of 4k video is only inside SD in gimbal, storage video inside device is only in 720p,
so ...... I believe that  is not necessary  a device with a lot of memory  :-)
2015-10-24
Use props
bennett
New

United States

I use the IPad Air 2. I like the large screen size and the I8 processor is fast enough to stream the HD video feed with no lag. I got the 16gb version because for me the IPad is a dedicated FPV device - I am not using it for anything else and I do not store video on it. The screen is sharp and clear and adjusts to brighter light conditions, however a sun shade is still needed for bright sunlight.
2015-10-24
Use props
bennett
New

United States

I use the IPad Air 2. the large screen is great and the processor is fast enough to stream the HD video with no lag. It is light and feels comfortable mounted on the controller. The screen is bright and sharp, and the brightness adjusts to the ambient light. A shade is still a good idea for bright sunlight. I got the 16gb model since for me the Air 2 is a dedicated FPV device - I don't use it for anything else, and I don't store video on it.
2015-10-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules