1512 17 2018-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
13rovers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13766 ft
United Kingdom

Hi All,

I'm due a little trip to the Lake District this weekend for some fell walking.  

One of my plans is once on top of a fell, to crack out the Spark and get a droney/circle of me on top.  

My Q is, the uk drone code says max height 400feet or 120metres.  Is this from the ground (ie top of the fell) or is this from sea level??  I can't find this info on the CAA site.  

Hope someone can help.  

Thanks in advance.
2018-4-4
Use props
scruffs dad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1071604 ft
United Kingdom

it's from the ground
2018-4-4
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, it's from the ground. Thanks!
2018-4-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 15095994 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

50m from people, vehicles and buildings not in your control - though you can fly over these if 165' - 400' above providing it's not congested
150m from congested areas (horizontal and vertical) - this includes built up residential areas, busy public roads, land marks, stadiums, open air concerts etc
Several miles from airports, military bases, power plants  
Outside NFZ's
MAX 400' above ground level (AGL)
Maintain visual line of sight (VLOS) at all times, not exceeding 500m horizontally from the operator
Permission to take off/land from the homepoint i.e. no restricted public access locations prohibiting drones or private property without the owners permission

2018-4-4
Use props
13rovers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13766 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks all, hopefully the weather is on my side now
2018-4-4
Use props
Nixtoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6562 ft

It will be the wind that will be the biggest issue. There’s few fells I’ve been at the top of where the spark would have coped. I had the same idea and since I’ve got it, I’ve never been able to fly anywhere except the valleys.
2018-4-4
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Nixtoo Posted at 2018-4-4 04:46
It will be the wind that will be the biggest issue. There’s few fells I’ve been at the top of where the spark would have coped. I had the same idea and since I’ve got it, I’ve never been able to fly anywhere except the valleys.

I completely agree. Get a mountain top weather forecast before you set off. It will save you the effort of taking your drone up there.  Also the Lake District is used for low level RAF training so fast jets will be a problem for you if you do not pay attention. On more than one occasion they have been below me when I was on a fell. Take care and just enjoy the walk.
2018-4-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-4-4 01:09
50m from people, vehicles and buildings not in your control - though you can fly over these if 165' - 400' above providing it's not congested
150m from congested areas (horizontal and vertical) - this includes built up residential areas, busy public roads, land marks, stadiums, open air concerts etc
Several miles from airports, military bases, power plants  

Looks like you know your stuff
2018-4-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-4-4 05:17
Looks like you know your stuff

You need to mate - I for one don't want to end up in a court room being fined thousands of pounds + new legislation is being passed in parliament later this year to increase punishments - including making the flight of UAV's near airports to be investigated under the terrorism act.
You can already get five years in the slammer for placing manned aircraft at risk as it is...  
2018-4-4
Use props
JMR58
First Officer
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>

http://www.noflydrones.co.uk
I think this a good site for finding the NFZ and planning a flight, they seem to use the low flight charts.
2018-4-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JMR58 Posted at 2018-4-4 08:44
http://www.noflydrones.co.uk
I think this a good site for finding the NFZ and planning a flight, they seem to use the low flight charts.

NATS drone assist is a great app for UK NFZ's and approved by the CAA
2018-4-4
Use props
JMR58
First Officer
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-4-4 10:03
NATS drone assist is a great app for UK NFZ's and approved by the CAA

Thanks!, i will give it a try!
2018-4-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JMR58 Posted at 2018-4-4 10:49
Thanks!, i will give it a try!

Just make sure to turn off 'upper airspace' in the options within the app - I had it on today by accident and the whole of Southeast England was a temporary NFZ - nearly had a heart attack - turned it off and all back to normal LOL. Upper airspace is for manned aircraft only.  
2018-4-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-4-4 07:31
You need to mate - I for one don't want to end up in a court room being fined thousands of pounds + new legislation is being passed in parliament later this year to increase punishments - including making the flight of UAV's near airports to be investigated under the terrorism act.
You can already get five years in the slammer for placing manned aircraft at risk as it is...

Very true.

2018-4-4
Use props
JMR58
First Officer
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-4-4 10:51
Just make sure to turn off 'upper airspace' in the options within the app - I had it on today by accident and the whole of Southeast England was a temporary NFZ - nearly had a heart attack - turned it off and all back to normal LOL. Upper airspace is for manned aircraft only.

Got it .
Looking forward to my coming UK holidays
2018-4-5
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

The distance from the ground (take off point).  Good luck and don't forget to share a few pics.  Cheers
2018-4-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JMR58 Posted at 2018-4-5 04:47
Got it .
Looking forward to my coming UK holidays

Enjoy your trip!   
2018-4-5
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

embayweather Posted at 2018-4-4 04:55
I completely agree. Get a mountain top weather forecast before you set off. It will save you the effort of taking your drone up there.  Also the Lake District is used for low level RAF training so fast jets will be a problem for you if you do not pay attention. On more than one occasion they have been below me when I was on a fell. Take care and just enjoy the walk.

I agree, too.  
I just came across the APP, UAV Forecast.  Very comprehensive and you can enter a location into the search field.  Not sure how it will work with a non-address location, but it's a free App ( for a 24 hour prediction range ) and worth trying out.  Share here if you find it beneficial.

PS.... Forgot to mention.  It includes a factor for something called the KP index.  Has to do with a level of solar interference on radio waves/GPS.
2018-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules