Satellite Reception Question
560 3 2018-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Madseason
lvl.2
United States

OK so I'm trying to understand how loss of satellite reception occurs. I had 14 satellites with 4 of 5 bars showing. I then lost all bars next to the satellite picture and ultimately went into ATTI mode which lead to a crash. Can metal or power lines cause GPS disruption or does this lead to compass disruption? I want to make sure I understand how to look for conditions to keep this from happening next time. Also, is cell phone services necessary to use the DJI Go App when flying because that was also something I didn't have.
2018-4-4
Use props
rimza
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

It does felt very annoying and helpless when the AC does this. Going from full strong satellite signal with bars more than you can count and then poof - ATTI mode it is. AArrrgh

I do share your frustration.

It is the compass that is screwing up (pardon my choice of words) the whole IMU/GPS navigation thingy.

For the AC to be smart , the GPS tells you where the AC is and the compass tells you in which direction it is heading. Either IMU or compass being in error, the AC goes to ATTI mode.

The sensor module seems (or is) to be very sensitive to metal surroundings or power lines. Even if you want to launch from pavement with iron RC bars within them it will register compass error.

At times even abrupt movement or stopping during sports mode can cause compass error.

Advice: Avoid metal structures or vicinity of metal thingy and power lines and you do not require cell service during flying - best put the device in airplane mode.

P/S those non GPS quadcopters that flew only based on your input on the transmitter gimbals are you best ATTI trainers as it is always in ATTI mode.
2018-4-4
Use props
Madseason
lvl.2
United States

rimza Posted at 2018-4-4 18:30
It does felt very annoying and helpless when the AC does this. Going from full strong satellite signal with bars more than you can count and then poof - ATTI mode it is. AArrrgh

I do share your frustration.

Thanks for the reply. Very good explanation. After looking at the exterior of the cabin we are in I noticed that the entire roof looks like it's covered in metal. It was when the drone got close to the house that it had issues. After the crash I was completely surprised because I couldn't find a scratch anywhere on the drone! It plowed into a tree and fell about 40 feet to the leaves below! One thing I don't like is that the drone seemed to not respond to any stick movements and almost had a mind of it's own when it went into ATTI Mode. Could have just been that I was in the moment and didn't have a chance to properly react. This really is not the best place to fly due to the lack of maneuvering space ;)
2018-4-4
Use props
rimza
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

ATTI mode on AC in wide open space is a challenge indeed. And most of the time it was the anxiety being in ATTI mode all of a sudden that takes out most of the rational countermeasures.

You have to push the gimbals reactively depending on how it responds and react to it again. It is as I said just like flying a non GPS quad-copter rather than the so-called smart drone.

If you can find an indoor gym or enclosed space large enough you can fly the AC in ATTI which is much easier as you do not have the wind factor.

But no pain no gain, have fun with your Spark.
2018-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules