Geo Fence question before purchase
1195 18 2018-4-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans380c022e
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi All, about to add to my drone collection by purchasing the Mavic Air (Combo Pack).  I live in an area near a football ground, LFC have decided they own the entire airspace of the Anfield Area, parts of Everton, the entire park, and my house, but putting up a massive Geo Fance, so I will be unable to fly it unless I can get around this restriction.  How easy is it to get around the Geo Fence / Request access to fly (I obviously won't be flying the Drone on Match Days).  I have asked a similair question a few years back for my Phantom 3 Pro (Which was returned as the Geo Fence was too much of a pain / obstacle).  I just want to gage how much of a pain this process would be for the Mavic Air before commiting to it.

Thanks

2018-4-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You'll need to submit a request and it can take days to unlock and they won't do that unless you give good reason. The unlock is also temporary so you'll need to contact them probably everytime you fly. This will be due to the fact that you are not permitted to fly a drone within a 150m radius of congested areas - including stadiums (the app won't know if there is a match on or not) and built up residential areas. A bloke flew his drone over the Arsenal ground a year or so ago and got a £4000 fine!
2018-4-5
Use props
TFile
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56398 ft
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-4-5 02:03
You'll need to submit a request and it can take days to unlock and they won't do that unless you give good reason. The unlock is also temporary so you'll need to contact them probably everytime you fly. This will be due to the fact that you are not permitted to fly a drone within a 150m radius of congested areas - including stadiums (the app won't know if there is a match on or not) and built up residential areas. A bloke flew his drone over the Arsenal ground a year or so ago and got a £4000 fine!

Wow that's a big fine!

How did they trace the pilot?
2018-4-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TFile Posted at 2018-4-5 02:08
Wow that's a big fine!

How did they trace the pilot?

The idiot was stood directly outside the ground in front of Police on horseback and put the match on youtube! I know LOL The fine was so big as he also flew near nuclear power stations which the police got hold of when they confiscated all of his tech.
2018-4-5
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I live near a class G airport and have a custom unlock called home that I have to renew via email every 3 mos.  The only hassle is that when I want to fly anywhere but my home I have to disable the home unlock and then do the txt auth dance.  Kind of a pain but I have to admit the DJI tech is better than anything else I have ever flown so it all evens out.
2018-4-5
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Don't do it. Only Buy this quad if you are desperate. WAIT until it has been out for awhile and the bugs worked out if you absolutely have to have one. Take it from someone who didn't heed his own advise here. Wrought with problems, WiFi being the biggest. Terribly dissatisfied with my purchase, and suffering Buyers remorse. Stick with the pro. I have that one and it is great!
2018-4-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tell a lie - it was 3 years ago and he was fined £1800 + £620 court costs and they took away all of his kit (worth thousands). It was another guy who flew near power stations - this one also liked big ben and the shard!
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-34256680
2018-4-5
Use props
fans380c022e
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Bill B Posted at 2018-4-5 02:14
Don't do it. Only Buy this quad if you are desperate. WAIT until it has been out for awhile and the bugs worked out if you absolutely have to have one. Take it from someone who didn't heed his own advise here. Wrought with problems, WiFi being the biggest. Terribly dissatisfied with my purchase, and suffering Buyers remorse. Stick with the pro. I have that one and it is great!

Hi Bill, that's the first I've heard of the Pro being better than the Air.  Maplin staff told me it was the better purchase (Obviously won't be purchasing from Maplin since they are going out of business, and they also sold me a "New" Blade QX350 a year back, which when I got it home it was used and smashed / cracked, been in a massive crash!)  I will be likely buying from John Lewis since there is a 2 year guarantee.  Even reading some things online, people have said the Air is better than the Pro.  So I assume you own both of these Drones?  -  Thanks
2018-4-5
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I own both the pro and the air and I can say with all sincerity both are bloody fabulous drones. My advice whichever one you buy make sure you have enough batteries and a good set of polar pro ND filters.
2018-4-5
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
United States

fans380c022e Posted at 2018-4-5 03:33
Hi Bill, that's the first I've heard of the Pro being better than the Air.  Maplin staff told me it was the better purchase (Obviously won't be purchasing from Maplin since they are going out of business, and they also sold me a "New" Blade QX350 a year back, which when I got it home it was used and smashed / cracked, been in a massive crash!)  I will be likely buying from John Lewis since there is a 2 year guarantee.  Even reading some things online, people have said the Air is better than the Pro.  So I assume you own both of these Drones?  -  Thanks

Yes, I do own both. I would never steer you wrong and tell you the air is better than the Pro. It simply is not. My Air is junk, It disconnects all the time sometimes when it is 60 feet away and 20 feet in the air. Don't be mislead by the hype of the Air. I will tell you it is better than the QX350 You owned. I had one of them too. Sold it off quickly, as it was not very good I've had the Yuneec q500+ too. It was on the same line as the QX from blade. Seriously though, do some reading on the problems with the disconnects on this MA. I would wait to see if DJI can address the issues with a FW update. In closing, I would put the Mavic Pro head and shoulders above the Air, Long flight times and superior range with Ocusync. I have never had a disconnect with it. Never.
2018-4-5
Use props
fans380c022e
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Bill B Posted at 2018-4-5 06:09
Yes, I do own both. I would never steer you wrong and tell you the air is better than the Pro. It simply is not. My Air is junk, It disconnects all the time sometimes when it is 60 feet away and 20 feet in the air. Don't be mislead by the hype of the Air. I will tell you it is better than the QX350 You owned. I had one of them too. Sold it off quickly, as it was not very good I've had the Yuneec q500+ too. It was on the same line as the QX from blade. Seriously though, do some reading on the problems with the disconnects on this MA. I would wait to see if DJI can address the issues with a FW update. In closing, I would put the Mavic Pro head and shoulders above the Air, Long flight times and superior range with Ocusync. I have never had a disconnect with it. Never.

Thanks for your reply Bill, appreciated.  I'll have a read up.  I did like the Blade QX350, this was my first drone, before getting a smashed replacement from Maplin.  I also had the q500+ which I thought was good but a bit to big and slow.  I do recall reading about some connection issues from some people on the Air.  Thanks
2018-4-5
Use props
fans380c022e
lvl.1
United Kingdom

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-5 03:53
I own both the pro and the air and I can say with all sincerity both are bloody fabulous drones. My advice whichever one you buy make sure you have enough batteries and a good set of polar pro ND filters.

Thanks - I've read mixed about the air, some saying it's great and others with the connection issues.  What is the benefit of the filters?  do they allow better filming in sunlight?  Thanks
2018-4-5
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

To be honest I have no problems whatsoever with either drone and flown both in somewhat hostile environments, both weather and wifi congested areas, not a single issue. ND filters are a must if you are going to do serious filming with quality results. Check out Mauro's Film channel
2018-4-5
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
United States

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-5 07:36
To be honest I have no problems whatsoever with either drone and flown both in somewhat hostile environments, both weather and wifi congested areas, not a single issue. ND filters are a must if you are going to do serious filming with quality results. Check out Mauro's Film channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikrE6dRKhQE

Yes, I've seen your videos. I like them. Glad you have had success with your air. I have subbed to your channel.
2018-4-5
Use props
Acenspades
lvl.3
United States

Bill B Posted at 2018-4-5 02:14
Don't do it. Only Buy this quad if you are desperate. WAIT until it has been out for awhile and the bugs worked out if you absolutely have to have one. Take it from someone who didn't heed his own advise here. Wrought with problems, WiFi being the biggest. Terribly dissatisfied with my purchase, and suffering Buyers remorse. Stick with the pro. I have that one and it is great!

I agree with you completely. TBH i have buyers remorse and should have gone with the pro.

The "enhanced" wifi is a joke
2018-4-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That is awesome mate!   
2018-4-5
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Stick with the Mavic Pro. the Air has to many issues, and is waaay noisier.
You can get around all the geo fence/height/dist. limitations and etc., etc., etc., buy reverting back to a previous firmware level, and the sun will shine.
Search "Digdat0" on you tube........for the keys to freedom...
2018-4-5
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

I wouldn't encourage you to break the law as has been suggested, the fines wouldn't make for a good day out. Loosing your gear on top of that would be a kick in the teeth, fly safe and fly legally. I wouldn't want to fly looking over my shoulder waiting for plod to come along, especially in Liverpool or any other major city for that matter.  NFZ are there for a reason.

Whichever drone you go for Pro or Air you will enjoy flying, don't be the guy on news at 10...... man arrested for buzzing Anfield happy flying and let us know which you've gone for.
2018-4-5
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Great video, thanks for your sharing. Really appreciate your support to DJI products.
2018-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules