So I'm doing this but is it right.
1191 22 2018-4-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_zUQ9JbysumUX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 266 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, I read the battery manuel. It tells me to keep the  charge between 40-60 percent when storing them or when your not going to use them for a long time.
The thing is you have the option as i seen it in the go4 app lets you automatically discharge the bat within 10 days of none use.  The thing is I can cook beef steaks just nicely but I don't want to  cook the batteries. We all need to get a good life span out of them because they are expensive right.

Is it ok the leave the batteries  fully  charged right up to the the max ten day limit in a state of none use or should I think of discharging  them sooner say around 4 days of none usage.

I know batteries are temperamental  because I bought a battery powered drill.  A good make and after 12 months the battery stopped working I only used the drill a handful of times. I then went out and bought another battery drill. A cheap drill and 5 years after buying it and only after using it  a 5 times the batteries are still good to go. So don't want the phantom batteries to become paperweights  to soon if you know what I mean.
2018-4-5
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

This discussion has been done a few times now the most common setting for auto discharge is between 3-4 days.
2018-4-5
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your batteries will last longer if you keep them in this range as much as possible while not in use:

If you always charge your batteries the day of or day before you fly and always use them, then it really won't matter if you keep that setting at 10 days. The thing you don't want to do is constantly charge them, not use them, and then let them sit for 10 days until they start auto discharging down to the storage level.
2018-4-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

After setting the time in DJI GO App, the battery will be discharged to a proper percentage and stored. If it will be idle for a long time, please discharge and recharge the battery fully at least every three months.
2018-4-5
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

i set time to discharge at 2days.,charge the day i fly.i check them peroidly to keep them at 50_60% when not in use.
2018-4-9
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-5 20:29
After setting the time in DJI GO App, the battery will be discharged to a proper percentage and stored. If it will be idle for a long time, please discharge and recharge the battery fully at least every three months.

DJI Susan, 'please discharge and recharge the battery fully at least every three months'

When discharging the battery fully, how far do we go? I've read many suggestions on this forum. Can you provide an official level it must be discharged to? I've had my P4Pro for a little more than 3 months so it's time...

Jeff
2018-4-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-4-9 10:08
DJI Susan, 'please discharge and recharge the battery fully at least every three months'

When discharging the battery fully, how far do we go? I've read many suggestions on this forum. Can you provide an official level it must be discharged to? I've had my P4Pro for a little more than 3 months so it's time...

Discharge to 8 percent before fully recharging  (P4 Standard in my case)
2018-4-9
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-4-9 10:58
Discharge to 8 percent before fully recharging  (P4 Standard in my case)

Thank you for the reply, but I'm asking DJI Susan for an 'official' reply.

Jeff
2018-4-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

She has posted in the past that the magic number is 5 percent, but I can't remember if she was referring to P4 batteries...

Let her confirm

Note that this is only when batteries are in storage 3 months as stated in Susan's post

Edit:  Here is the other post... I found it...

https://forum.dji.com/thread-118344-1-1.html
2018-4-9
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-4-9 11:50
She has posted in the past that the magic number is 5 percent, but I can't remember if she was referring to P4 batteries...

Let her confirm

Mark, Thank you for that link. 5% it is. I have Thursday off so I'll be flying and fully discharging.
Edit: She sort of contrdicts herself. In many posts she says to discharge fully every 3 months. In that thread she says 5% is fully discharged. But then she adds the fact that you should only do this when intending to store them long term. I think I'm going to shoot for 10% as that's the default level of critical low battery. This'll give me a chance to monitor the two battery warning alarms also.

Jeff
2018-4-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Well, there are plenty of opinions.  There are plenty of people who insist a deep discharge only damages the battery and nothing good can come from it.

Yeah the "intending to store them long term" throws me off too.   It sounds like, if we flew yesterday, and don't plan to fly again in three months, we should do the deep discharge today.  That doesn't make much sense.  I'd love to hear an explanation.  

I am not aware of a 10% deep discharge threshold.  I don't think the critical low has anything to do with it.  MHO

In the P2 days, the manual said "below 8%" which means 7% or less.  And it was supposed to be done routinely regardless of storage.  

There was a guy who did a bunch of tests on the P2 batteries a long while back - and he determined that a P2 lipo MUST be discharged less than 8% in order to trigger the recalibration of the cells.  Going down to 9% would accomplish nothing, he said.  There was a software trigger that took place, he said.  

Then with the new P3, it was "to 8%" which means to 8% but not 7% and not 9%.  I thought maybe the language was a typo.  

Then that recommendation disappeared.  It just vanished right off the manual pages.  

Now it's apparently 5%, although it doesn't say that in any manuals, but that's only if we store for 3 months, or intend to store for three months, I guess.

But the 5% makes sense somewhat when you consider that the FW of these more modern batteries is deliberately designed to mislead us regarding the actual percentage of power - meaning 0% is not really 0% anymore like it used to be.  0% is now a higher voltage/cell then it used to be - which is to say 0% is the new 3%, so to speak.  Something like that.  I believe DJI does this deliberately to keep us from killing our batteries  while in flight and losing our aircrafts.  

So if you consider that, then the 5% discharge makes sense - relative to the old 8%...

I'm sure there will be plenty of members who will enjoy coming in here and tearing this up.  

<shrug>

Anyway, what do I care?  I fly year round.  I haven't deep discharged a healthy battery in years.

MHO

2018-4-9
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I discharge until the craft turns off, then thats far enough
2018-4-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-4-9 11:03
Thank you for the reply, but I'm asking DJI Susan for an 'official' reply.

Jeff

Actually, the discharge we mentioned here is that the battery can no longer be turned on. 5% is a reference value.
2018-4-10
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-5 20:29

Thank you for the information Mark. It's better that I know there's more to this than I was aware of. 10% may not be enough. 5% may not really be 5%. There's a possible 8% software threshold that I might reach if I drain to 5%, or I may not. DJI suggests a 'full discharge' but is unclear what percentage is 'full.'

OK, so, DJI Susan... Can you give me an official battery percentage? I intend to deep cycle my batteries after 3 months of use. I don't intend to store them. What percentage should I discharge the batteries to?

No more opinions, I'm asking for an official DJI response from an DJI Admin or DJI Engineer.
EDIT: I should refresh before posting. :-) Thank you for responding DJI Susan. Thank you Bashy for the correct answer. I will discharge until the aircraft turns off on it's own. I will be very nervous. But I will survive.

Jeff
2018-4-10
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-10 00:29
Actually, the discharge we mentioned here is that the battery can no longer be turned on. 5% is a reference value.

Hi susan
Just so that it is clear for all pilots can you please give dji recommendations in detail on this issue. I just feel that some of the newer pilots are going to get confused with all the information they are getting. I think that if you can explian it simply so that everyone can understand this would help those that might not currently get what the more expierenced pilots are saying.Sorry guys not trying to tread on any toes here but i feel this is important info for all pilots of all levels and we should be making it easy to understand what should be done.
2018-4-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-4-10 00:59
Hi susan
Just so that it is clear for all pilots can you please give dji recommendations in detail on this issue. I just feel that some of the newer pilots are going to get confused with all the information they are getting. I think that if you can explian it simply so that everyone can understand this would help those that might not currently get what the more expierenced pilots are saying.Sorry guys not trying to tread on any toes here but i feel this is important info for all pilots of all levels and we should be making it easy to understand what should be done.

The discharge has been mentioned in the user manual, you can check this link. As for the fully discharge, I'd recommended discharging the batteries until it can not be turned on.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_4_pro/20171017/Phantom_4_Pro_Pro_Plus_User_Manual_EN.pdf
How to discharge the battery.png
2018-4-10
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-10 23:54
The discharge has been mentioned in the user manual, you can check this link. As for the fully discharge, I'd recommended discharging the batteries until it can not be turned on.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_4_pro/20171017/Phantom_4_Pro_Pro_Plus_User_Manual_EN.pdf

Thanks susan much appreciated
2018-4-11
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-4-11 00:36
Thanks susan much appreciated

I did the first battery. It was a little difficult, but I hovered it until I got the 30% alarm, and it started a RTH 5 second countdown at (25%.) EDIT: {It initiated RTH at 15% not 25%.} I stopped the RTH with the C1 button. Then it attempted to land at 10% but I increased the throttle to keep it in the air until 5% then hand caught it. Motors wouldn't start after that, so I just let it sit there until it turned off. The battery was really warm to the touch, so I put it outdoors (it's about 45F out there right now) for a hour. It's now charging for a Litchi flight in the morning.

Before I put it outside I tried to charge it. The 4th LED was flashing 3 times fast. I looked in the manual and that indicated high charging temp. So outside it went.

Thank you everyone. I'll get the other two batteries done tomorrow after I prove this battery is still good. Just want to make sure my approach isn't going to brick a battery.

Jeff
2018-4-11
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its all in the manual, thats where i got the  "discharge until the craft turns off" from
2018-4-11
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Australia

If you follow the manuals instructions then at least you can be assured if something goes that you should still be covered by warranty
2018-4-11
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>

Three batteries deep cycled, then charged to storage level per the intelligent charging tray. Three month timer reset. Thanks everyone.

Jeff
2018-4-12
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-4-12 14:31
Three batteries deep cycled, then charged to storage level per the intelligent charging tray. Three month timer reset. Thanks everyone.

Jeff

Please note:  The deep cycle procedure includes fully charging the battery - that's the last step.  
2018-4-12
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-4-12 14:58
Please note:  The deep cycle procedure includes fully charging the battery - that's the last step.

Thank you. Done. Now they’re in storage.

Jeff
2018-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules