12Next >
1767 49 2018-4-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
slimharry
lvl.4
Flight distance : 720446 ft
Canada

So after 4 months of saving up and waiting for a discounted deal on the mavic pro + a student discount, it has finally arrived yesterday after ordering it on the DJI website on April 1st.

First off, by far the best unboxing I have ever done. Everything is just so slick and well packed!! I've strolled the forum for so long and I can finally start posting stuff here. I've equipped myself with quiet some gadgets to help me produce quality videos, but I find myself still missing a few things to be fully functional (ie. a bag for dSLR + mavic fly more). Feel free to add stuff to my list if you find it's a must.

Even tho i've read online and watched youtube videos for hours about flying this thing, when I unboxed it i felt like I had forgot everything hehe. Time to learn again until I take this UAV out!! Working and going to school part-time only leaves me to saturday afternoon before trying it out for the first time. Can anyone answer about wether it's safe to try the simulator indoors at home with 9 ft ceilings? I'm scared the props will go on and lift off and hit my TV with the lack of GPS lol.

I live in Montreal, and I hope to show you soon enough what my city looks like with cinematic footage If anyone can guide me to free LUTs websites and license-free music for videos i'd really appreciate it

Here's a few pictures of the unpackaging, and also the list of things that i purchased with it:

• Polarpro vivid collection ND 4/8/16 PL
  • 32gb Sandisk
  • Lacie external 2tb thunderbolt
  • BESTEK 300W Power Inverter Dual 110V

I will be using Final cut pro X to do my editing. I also have a Nikon dSLR so hoping to find that ideal bag to fit everything in. Hesitating between the Lowepro pro tactic 350 aw or the peakdesign everyday backpack.

I also have the Osmo Mobile 2 to help me create some b-roll for my drone videos. I will be in Iceland from april 22 to 30th. This was the main reason for my purchase

Thanks for reading and hope to come up with some good content to post over here. :-)

Harry M.

IMG_4268.jpg
IMG_4270.jpg
IMG_4190.jpg
2018-4-5
Use props
BluesDragon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 634291 ft
United States

Welcome to the madness! Take your time setting up and getting to know your bird. That maiden voyage can be scary, yet loads of fun.

Be safe and enjoy!
2018-4-5
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Welcome to the club! Read the manual,. Practice in the academy. Start with beginner mode unless you know what ur doing lol.
2018-4-5
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4
Canada

dronist Posted at 2018-4-5 07:19
Welcome to the club! Read the manual,. Practice in the academy. Start with beginner mode unless you know what ur doing lol.

Thank you!! I will stick to the beginner mode this weekend for sure until i master the controls.

IN the academy, it said turn on aircraft. If i press both sticks down, it's only for the academy right and my mavic's props won't turn on indoor when in the flight simulator?
2018-4-5
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Congratulations, it is a great drone. Read the manual, and read it again. Set yourself a pre flight check list and adhere to it every single flight. As an example and other will add to this:  Update FW for both AC/RC/batteries. Calibrate compass and IMU and the RC (easy to do) Now read the manual again prior to your maiden flight..... understand the limitations of your bird. Now that you are ready to fly go and Check weather forecast, (install UAV forecast) ensure Batteries fully charged AC/RC/phone/tablet, remove gimble clamp, check propellers fully engaged and locked in, set antenna correctly, turn on RC and AC, open DJI go4, check AC status and calibrate if requested to do so by the app, check and set RTH height and check it is set to RTH and not hover/land unless that is your preference, set max height and distance in accordance to legal requirements. Check local surroundings for obstacles and above all wait until you hear YOUR HOMEPOINT HAS BEEN RECORDED/SET PLEASE CHECK IT ON THE MAP take off and take it slow and easy and build confidence.  And most importantly enjoy your drone.
2018-4-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Congrats and Welcome. Have fun and fly safe. Looking forward to seeing your work.
2018-4-5
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4
Canada

BluesDragon Posted at 2018-4-5 07:12
Welcome to the madness! Take your time setting up and getting to know your bird. That maiden voyage can be scary, yet loads of fun.

Be safe and enjoy!

Thanks Buddy!
2018-4-5
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Welcome to the club and yes, check and set RTH height and check it is set to RTH when lost RC connection and not to hover/land is very important
2018-4-5
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

NEVER, EVER power up you AC with the props on indoors.
Period.
If those motors spool up by accident......
2018-4-5
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

hi - welcome and good luck :-) plenty good starter tips already provided. Do not fly your drone indoors - when in flight simulator take the props off the drone. it is a simulator not a real flight situation - props must come off.
Generally do not fly indoors - dont do it.
your highest risk period is the first lets say 50 flights - be careful, be sensible - if the wind is blowing go home (later with a bit of practice and experiance you can take the wind on but always be wary of it, especially when you notice how well the mavic handle)s.
Avoid doing a range test for as long as possible - high risk of losing your drone. Thats a lot of money you could otherwise have spent on beer.
Keep your inner tiger on a chocker chain as long as possible.
Stay away from trees.
Stay away from buildings.
Avoid flying over water as long as possible.

2018-4-5
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4
Canada

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-5 07:25
Congratulations, it is a great drone. Read the manual, and read it again. Set yourself a pre flight check list and adhere to it every single flight. As an example and other will add to this:  Update FW for both AC/RC/batteries. Calibrate compass and IMU and the RC (easy to do) Now read the manual again prior to your maiden flight..... understand the limitations of your bird. Now that you are ready to fly go and Check weather forecast, (install UAV forecast) ensure Batteries fully charged AC/RC/phone/tablet, remove gimble clamp, check propellers fully engaged and locked in, set antenna correctly, turn on RC and AC, open DJI go4, check AC status and calibrate if requested to do so by the app, check and set RTH height and check it is set to RTH and not hover/land unless that is your preference, set max height and distance in accordance to legal requirements. Check local surroundings for obstacles and above all wait until you hear YOUR HOMEPOINT HAS BEEN RECORDED/SET PLEASE CHECK IT ON THE MAP take off and take it slow and easy and build confidence.  And most importantly enjoy your drone.

Haha you got it all right. Wil try to get that routine in my head, only practice will help me do that.

I had seen a pre-flight checklist done by a forum user here, does anyone have it close by?
2018-4-5
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4
Canada

Jos A Posted at 2018-4-5 07:34
Welcome to the club and yes, check and set RTH height and check it is set to RTH when lost RC connection and not to hover/land is very important

The best i heard was setting the RTH at its maximum height, is that possible? Or to judge if there's obstacles such as trees, powerlines, buildings well to put it higher above all that?
2018-4-5
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4
Canada

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-5 07:41
hi - welcome and good luck :-) plenty good starter tips already provided. Do not fly your drone indoors - when in flight simulator take the props off the drone. it is a simulator not a real flight situation - props must come off.
Generally do not fly indoors - dont do it.
your highest risk period is the first lets say 50 flights - be careful, be sensible - if the wind is blowing go home (later with a bit of practice and experiance you can take the wind on but always be wary of it, especially when you notice how well the mavic handle)s.

Excellent, thanks for the tips! I didn'T want to fly indoors, i was just curious to know since the AC has to be turned on for the flight simulator to work if there was any danger for the prop motors to turn on as well in the app.
2018-4-5
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

slimharry Posted at 2018-4-5 07:25
Thank you!! I will stick to the beginner mode this weekend for sure until i master the controls.

IN the academy, it said turn on aircraft. If i press both sticks down, it's only for the academy right and my mavic's props won't turn on indoor when in the flight simulator?

Make sure you are in the Acamedy and when you turn on the AC,NO IT WON'T really turn on it will only be  on the screen of the Academy.

Also, quick trick, ALWAYS keep the back of the AC facing you you will have better control of the AC.
2018-4-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Congrats - it’s an awesome drone and not many can say that 18 months after its initial release!
2018-4-5
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4
Canada

dronist Posted at 2018-4-5 07:56
Make sure you are in the Acamedy and when you turn on the AC,NO IT WON'T really turn on it will only be  on the screen of the Academy.

Also, quick trick, ALWAYS keep the back of the AC facing you you will have better control of the AC.

Ya i figured to have the best first person style control is to keep the back facing me.

I'll get used to opposite controls with experience
2018-4-5
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Congratulations and welcome to the club! You'll see it is great fun. M2Wair has given you excellent advice on all pre-flight tasks and checks. To answer one of your questions: In my opinion it is not wise to set RTH altitude to the maximum allowed (not what is technically possible!). Ascending more than necessary is wasting valuable battery time that might be vital for a successful RTH and you risk getting strong wind that would further drain the battery or make a successful RTH impossible. Check your flying environment before each flight and set the suitable RTH altitude accordingly.
2018-4-5
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4
Canada

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-4-5 08:27
Congratulations and welcome to the club! You'll see it is great fun. M2Wair has given you excellent advice on all pre-flight tasks and checks. To answer one of your questions: In my opinion it is not wise to set RTH altitude to the maximum allowed (not what is technically possible!). Ascending more than necessary is wasting valuable battery time that might be vital for a successful RTH and you risk getting strong wind that would further drain the battery or make a successful RTH impossible. Check your flying environment before each flight and set the suitable RTH altitude accordingly.

Awesome, very clearly said!
2018-4-5
Use props
Thudd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1624787 ft

Welcome To the club. Be careful and safe and you will not be dissapointed.
2018-4-5
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Don't forget to polish it every day whilst whispering lovingly to it   this aids in RTH
2018-4-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Oh boy, I can feel the excitement already
Wish you a lot of safe flights!
2018-4-5
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Congratulations I know how excited you must be as I just got mine a month ago.  Here is a place that you can collect some free luts.  https://jonnyelwyn.co.uk/film-an ... colorists/#download

I have also purchased thefilmpoets D-Log corrective LUT.  This for me is the best corrective LUT I have found out there.  You apply this one first then you can also apply a color LUT.  That is what I do and the results are fantastic.  https://www.thefilmpoets.com/edu ... log-corrective-lut/

Take it easy and learn everything you can.  I found for me the best Settings are D-Log and custom at 0,-1,-1.  Then apply the LUT's post processing and you are pretty much there.
2018-4-5
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Congrats and Welcome. Please read the user manual more than once, be careful and fly safely. Thanks and hope you have a good time on flying the drone.
2018-4-5
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

There are lot's of useful video tutorials out there, familiarise yourself with the controls and settings and take your time in an open space when you are ready to fly. The last thing you would want is for your hard earned MP come to a sudden and abrupt end. Fly safe.
2018-4-5
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Congrats and welcome to the Best drone club in the WORLD. Ensure you have a pre-flight checklist and get yourself some handy apps to use before flight like UAV etc. take it easy and have fun
2018-4-5
Use props
Marian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340597 ft

Amazing. I am happy for you. I remember myself how excited I was when my drone arrived. Enjoy flying.
2018-4-5
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You will love it. So far my favourite drone and I have had few!
2018-4-6
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4
Canada

I finally went to fly 2 batteries yesterday. I left one battery on beginner mode, and the other one i flew a bit more than a 100 ft keeping it always on line of sight. Question for anyone that can help: My gimble glides very slowly towards the left for some unknown reason by itself, even when its left on the table on camera mode it just slowly glides not keeping the image stable. Is there a known reason for this? Also here's a fun picture i took and edit in Lightroom.

2018-4-9
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

slimharry Posted at 2018-4-9 02:32
I finally went to fly 2 batteries yesterday. I left one battery on beginner mode, and the other one i flew a bit more than a 100 ft keeping it always on line of sight. Question for anyone that can help: My gimble glides very slowly towards the left for some unknown reason by itself, even when its left on the table on camera mode it just slowly glides not keeping the image stable. Is there a known reason for this? Also here's a fun picture i took and edit in Lightroom.

[view_image]

Have you tried calibrating the gimbal and IMU! If not try and see if it is still an issue.
2018-4-9
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4
Canada

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-9 02:52
Have you tried calibrating the gimbal and IMU! If not try and see if it is still an issue.

I did a calibrate this morning, i'll try the IMU next time i'm outdoors. Unless I can do it indoor?

Another thing, my video seems blurry when i imported my footage to final cut. I did a 30 second video at 24 fps. It doesn't look 4K at all
2018-4-9
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

slimharry Posted at 2018-4-9 03:03
I did a calibrate this morning, i'll try the IMU next time i'm outdoors. Unless I can do it indoor?

Another thing, my video seems blurry when i imported my footage to final cut. I did a 30 second video at 24 fps. It doesn't look 4K at all

Did you remember to tap to focus!
and yes calibrate the IMU indoors go to tutorials and check them out... they do help and make things so much easier.
2018-4-9
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4
Canada

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-9 03:06
Did you remember to tap to focus!
and yes calibrate the IMU indoors  go to tutorials and check them out... they do help and make things so much easier.

Yes I dont think its a focus issue. My C1 button is set to center autofocus. But i'm not sure if i kept pressing it during the flight to keep focus.

Here's a link to my short clip. Don't mind the terrible post processing lol. I was shooting at D-log but noticed i was at 0 +1 0..Not sure what to set it at for optimum results. I'll have to test in air. But if its to look terrible when i transfer my movie clips to the mac I dont know what to do to fix the issue

2018-4-9
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4
Canada

Also please note that i had my gimble protector as its my first day trying a drone.
2018-4-9
Use props
eddieNoob
lvl.4
United States

slimharry Posted at 2018-4-5 07:25

IN the academy, it said turn on aircraft. If i press both sticks down, it's only for the academy right and my mavic's props won't turn on indoor when in the flight simulator?

Please heed the excellent, useful and safety-minded suggestions from others on this thread.
Do NOT (not) fiddle with the control sticks indoors (ever). I don't care what 'academy' says. Full Stop.
Based on my own experience, the simulator was illustrative, but that's about it. Time best spent on going through some batteries OUTSIDE in Beginner mode. Using a checklist to keep everything sorted, and go slow.

Also (and this bears repeating more often). Belay the immediate urge to start taking videos and photos until you have spent PLENTY of time learning to fly the aircraft.
2018-4-9
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Gimble protector is the issue.
2018-4-9
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4
Canada

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-9 05:34
Gimble protector is the issue.

Ok, awesome! I will fly without it next time.

2018-4-9
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

slimharry Posted at 2018-4-9 05:57
Ok, awesome! I will fly without it next time.

Yeah, it's like wearing wellingtons in the bath.
2018-4-9
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10321657 ft
Canada

this is the best hobby I've ever taken up!  some mishaps will happen, just don't panic!  Some of the things you might order are spare blades, that comes from my own experience.  The one advice I would give you is that whatever problem you have this is the best site to get an answer to it.
2018-4-9
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4
Canada

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-4-9 09:11
this is the best hobby I've ever taken up!  some mishaps will happen, just don't panic!  Some of the things you might order are spare blades, that comes from my own experience.  The one advice I would give you is that whatever problem you have this is the best site to get an answer to it.

I have 3 extra props with the fly more combo, you suggest i order some more?

What can possibly damage/use a prop? Or does it have a certain life expentancy?
2018-4-9
Use props
duke123
lvl.3
Flight distance : 78930 ft
United States

Good luck with the new bird and congrats
2018-4-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now