Parabolic Antenna for DJI Spark -- thoughts?
3951 15 2018-4-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RjMllr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17913 ft
Philippines

Hi guys, I am thinking of buying this parabolic antenna to extend the connectivity of my RC and AC.

Any real life experience with this thing? Does it enhance both the range of the transmitter and the video feed in the app?

Thank you!

parabolic.jpeg
2018-4-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Range depends on a lot of variables.
Mostly on the environment you fly in.
So I have seen tests that did improve the range and others that gave similar behavior.
2018-4-5
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, it is not recommended to use the third-party accessories, you know, it is not tested by DJI, the compatibility and performance are unable to be guaranteed. As the floor 2# mentioned, the range depends on many factors, especially the flight environment. Please choose an open area where the GPS is good and no magnetic interference to fly the drone. Thank you for your support!
2018-4-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wouldn't use them myself   
2018-4-5
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

i used that couple of times. if you are in a wide open area you will notice an improvement. it's cheap, you can test it yourself. no harm in my case
2018-4-6
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

FWIW, the YouTube channel, ' 51 Drones ' did a little video comparing these against nothing.  It is/was just one flight, but followed the same route.  Not in anyway a scientific comparison, but -basically- a cursory look at what he got versus what he expected.  Spoiler.  There was no improvement in distance.  Infact NOT using the extenders yielded a longer flight.  At the end he fashions a homemade version from foil wrap.... guess what.... ?

2018-4-6
Use props
idbl_fanatic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 509741 ft
United States

I use them, and have ZERO signal drop since, but like what was stated it all depends on where you fly, and if you use these, you need to be SURE that you are pointing towards the AC
2018-4-6
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft

Doubled my range ( to about 500 meters UK ) but needs precise targeting to craft.
2018-4-6
Use props
Oldmaninwva
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9750253 ft
United States

I use them...  and I get almost double the range of controlled flight...  you can check a youtube vid where I was testing the OTG cable to se eif it had any affect on range but the 3rd test I removed the parabolics and it lost comm in no time
2018-4-6
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
United States

What is your usual range, is the question.
I think, for the last some (hundred?) m in range, there are a cheap extender.
But you need to really ppint them at the Spark during flight.

2018-4-6
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I have them and they work definitely adds more range. I did my Spark Range Test with them and surpassed 10,000 feet!
2018-4-6
Use props
Mr Sparkle
lvl.4
Australia

Yes they work, and they are cheap so it's safe to try it. Remember to point it in the precise direction where your drone is or it won't be effective. What it does is like laser, it focused the transmission in a concentrated beam that travels further than normal transmission. You'll know when you are pointing at it correctly when the signal bar increases, so look at the screen while you rotate slightly left or right. Also, flying higher when you are getting further is a good way to receive the signal.

(Remember to peel off the very thin film of plastic from the reflector before using, I think some people aren't awared of it)

2018-4-6
Use props
Solestacz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489193 ft
United States

while i do heed the cautions and advice of dji whenever/wherever possible, i can get out to 10k ft with this very affordable accessory (which takes its design directly from sound/proven science), but never without them. i do have the advantage of living outside a town on very flat terrain, though.
2018-4-8
Use props
fans80790c69
New

Philippines

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-4-5 23:39
Hi, it is not recommended to use the third-party accessories, you know, it is not tested by DJI, the compatibility and performance are unable to be guaranteed. As the floor 2# mentioned, the range depends on many factors, especially the flight environment. Please choose an open area where the GPS is good and no magnetic interference to fly the drone. Thank you for your support!

Then why dji didn’t try those antenna to test on themselves? Or if they don’t recommend them at all, why just make an upgrade antenna on their own? I guess.. uhmm $$$ right?

Also what are dji’s parameters/ test when claiming their drone can fly upto 4km when in reality even in open wide area the drone can only reach 1-2 km?
2020-2-22
Use props
fans80790c69
New

Philippines

A CW Posted at 2018-4-5 23:51
I wouldn't use them myself
Of course, since you are using occusync already.
Those drone pilot using occusync transmission will never understand how choppy is the wifi
2020-2-22
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans80790c69 Posted at 2-22 17:50
Of course, since you are using occusync already.
Those drone pilot using occusync transmission will never understand how choppy is the wifi

Depends on which drone I'm using - but I wouldn't use these on any drone as I found them to be quite pointless.
2020-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules