Noob scared of flyaways!
48875 12 2018-4-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
agentasian
lvl.1

United States

Hi there,

First time poster - and I just got a used Spark off of eBay and I'm VERY excited to use it.  It's my first drone and I'm trying to get the hang of it.

My biggest fear for my new obsession is of a flyaway - especially because my wife and I are headed to Bora Bora in a week!

I've read a lot of the forum posts already but I am worried I may not have absorbed it fully because I didn't really understand some of the context or situation - because I didn't actually have a drone yet.  I know about issues with line-of-sight and flying too low above moving water, but in general, I feel like I've been trying to learn to drive from reading a book!

I would really appreciate any insight or guidance to (1) reduce the risk of flyaways, (2) island videography tips, or (3) general tips.

Thanks!
2018-4-5
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, it is recommended to read the user manual of the drone more than once before you fly it, then you are recommended to make a preflight checklist as the video below shows, hope you have a good time on flying the drone. Thanks!

2018-4-5
Use props
RjMllr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17913 ft
Philippines

There are tons of helpful videos in youtube that is a good starter when learning to fly drones. Watch tutorials and guides there. There is also tips. If you are not yet experience flying drone, I suggest for you to buy a cheap toy drone to practice orientations and basic operations of flying.
2018-4-5
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here are some items you might find useful:

In order to avoid crashes and/or flyaways, here are some things I recommend you do:

• Fully understand the features of the Spark before you attempt to use them (the Spark manual goes into great detail)
  • Don't fly in areas where there are lots of obstacles (e.g. trees) if you're not comfortable controlling the Spark
  • Make sure you can see the Spark with your eyes while you're flying (also a common requirement by law)
  • Don't take off near magnetic metal objects (including metal that you cannot see in things like concrete sidewalks)
  • Understand how the attitude indicator works in DJI GO (see this video and this video)
  • Understand what happens when the battery reaches different levels (see this video)
  • Don't fly in strong winds (especially if the Spark will be flying into the wind on the way back to the home point)

2018-4-6
Use props
forbsie
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

msinger Posted at 2018-4-6 04:12
Here are some items you might find useful:

All great tips.

My comment is related to all the drones you have under your signature, very impressive indeed! How do you decide which one you want to fly?
2018-4-6
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

You've gotten some great advice and links from the others above.

Here are my short tips:
#1 - Understand how the drone works
#2 - Have a plan!  What do you plan to do if things don't go perfect?
#3 - Stay away from metal
#4 - Pay attention to wind speed and direction
#5 - Keep it close to you to start off with as you get used to the controls you can venture a bit further away

If interested, check out this video I created a while back on this topic:

p.s. Its a bit in your face, so caution with full screen!  Lol!
2018-4-6
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have since learned and still trying to resist the "Get it in the air" urge once I arrive at my launching site. Once you have arrived at you launch site, just give a minute or two of standing and look at your surroundings, watch the wind and calm your nerves. If it doesn't feel right to you, go to your backup site.
2018-4-6
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

forbsie Posted at 2018-4-6 05:12
All great tips.

My comment is related to all the drones you have under your signature, very impressive indeed! How do you decide which one you want to fly?

I usually fly my newer drones when I'm just out flying for fun. A lot of times though, I'm using a specific drone in order to troubleshoot a problem, learn how a feature works, create a tutorial, etc.
2018-4-6
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with the suggestions to get on YouTube, search for DJI Spark, and filter for the last year's content.  

I watched videos by FlytPath, Ed Ricker, 51 Drones, Timothy Sunday, and Drone Valley.  (Ignore the over self promoting Casey Farris!)   Pay close attention to recommendations on where to do the Compass Calibration and IMU (if requested).  Only take off with fully charged batteries.  

Before flying either of my DJI aircraft I purchased a Refurbished Parrot Mambo.  It came with flight controller that also uses a cellphone monitor.  I practiced flying squares on the right stick, added turns and tunnels with the left stick, ignored the temptation to waste battery on flips (!), and drew some flight "missions" on paper, then tried to replicate with the Mambo.  

2018-4-6
Use props
Jeetley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123944 ft
United Kingdom

one thing that i tend to see quite often is guys (some quite experienced) have fly aways or lose drone because they fail to bring the drone back before the battery gets too low.
get it back with 30 or 40% remaining. also keep it close to start with and your confidence will grow quite quickly..
2018-4-6
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lots of good stuff here.  My short list is this.....

#1 You should have good GPS signal (GREEN)
#2 You should have several satellites connected
#3 Batteries showing full (or close to full)
       - When flying pay attention to your battery levels!
#4 Go into General Settings and make sure 'Return to Home' is set   

If you do these 4 things EVERY TIME you'll be in good shape.  Enjoy your trip!!

2018-4-6
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Get good at piloting the drone near you.  Practice a lot while keeping it close.  Don't rely on the autopilot or RTH.  I think a lot of fly aways happen because the owner doesn't know how to fly the aircraft and can't control it when the autopilot drops out into ATTI mode.  Keep the remote controller pointed in the same direction as the drone is headed so the controls keep the correct orientation with the drone.   It makes it easier to keep from mixing up the controls.  

Learning to fly results in crashed aircraft.  Expect it.  It is no big deal, similar to a beginner motorcyclist learning to ride on his new $10k sports bike.  There will be tears.
2018-4-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KlooGee Posted at 2018-4-6 05:25
You've gotten some great advice and links from the others above.

Here are my short tips:

Great advice KG   
2018-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules