HELP! I'm so confused...!!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
papas_mustache
New

United States

I FINALLY received my P3P two days ago after sending a barrage of emails to DJI and never getting a response (and it still came sans an extra battery), and I've never felt more lost over a piece of equipment. Here are my quandaries:
1) I dont understand how to update the firmware- Im using an apple, I downloaded the update, then I try to drag it onto the sds card, but its a freaking SDS card and wont accept said firmware update as it is in an unrecognizable format.

{*Before I go on, I must admit my somewhat pitiful ignorance of this caliber of tech-gadgetry. Please be gentle*}

2) So is there a pilot app for my iphone and ipad or not? It seems like everything Ive read regarding this app has been conflicting, and Ive read sveral threads that sound like people are using their apple devices while others are undera black cloud of devastation while they wait for theirs to work. When I try to install the app, it tells me that my device is not compatible. Ugghh...

3) Is there no Phantom 3 assistant software to download like previous phantom incarnations? I have found no sign of one if so.

I cant think of my other issues right now, but if anyone could please help me to answer those three issues, that would be a HUGE help. Much thanks! :-)
2015-5-7
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

For point 1, you don't drag the folder, only the bin file. Here's a thorough step by step video. The guy uses an Apple computer.

2/ Yes, the Pilot app for iOS gadgets has been released. Here is a list of compatible iOS devices: "The DJI Pilot app is only compatible with devices running iOS 8.0 or later or Android v4.1.2 or later.
The following devices are recommended:
iOS: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus"
3/ Nope, no software other than the app itself where you do the calibrations etc.
2015-5-7
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Ad. 1
Did you read the PDF explaining how to do the Firmware update? You'll find it on the download-page - where you'll also download the update. Unpack (doubleclik) the ZIP file to the microSD-card You'll likely need an adapter). Put it in the Phantom and start it up. Read the PDF for details - it will do some beeping   When it is all over, you can take the microSD card to the computer again and it will have added a TEXT file that you can open and hopefully it will say "SUCCESS".

To update the remote, you copy THE SAME FILE (that ends with .BIN) to a USB-stick end put it in the USB-port on the remote. Then you turn on the remote. Check the PDF again about details.

It is very doable. Don't worry that you are confused. It is NOT as simple and easy as the ads will claim, where "Everybody in a split second will be able to become a drone-pilot"

Ad. 2
Yes there is. Just download it from the App store. Search for "DJI Pilot" for example.

The app is not compatible until you update the firmware. Yes, it is a bit silly that we have to update the firmware on a brand new device. But lets face it - that likely meant that we got the Phantom a few weeks earlier. The market is highly competitive and DJI had the need to push it out before they were completely ready, lets face it. You also can't buy extra batteries just yet and so on. But it works. Just be patient and take it one step at a time.

Ad. 3
There is no such software and likely wont be. It is done thru the app and Firmware-updates are done the way you learned from the PDF in ad. 1 ;)

Take it easy. Don't rush it.

If you need to get a bit more familiar with the things, it can be nice to see it on video. I remember DJI was great at that once - when they had some guy working there... but anyway, my advice is to go to YouTube and search for "setting up Phantom 3" or something like that (I have not checked, but I'm sure there are already videos where people show the steps). It can be reassuring to see other people doing it on video (...not "it", but you know, "it"...) ;)

Good luck and ENJOY!
2015-5-7
Use props
harderna
lvl.1

United States

This explanation allowed me to get my P3 into flight tonight!  I was trying to install the firmware FOLDER onto my P3.  You have to separate the instructions from the file ending .BIN.  Its new.  Everything has kinks in the beginning.  Thanks for the help FantomDK
2015-5-7
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

harderna@yahoo. Posted at 2015-5-8 12:08
This explanation allowed me to get my P3 into flight tonight!  I was trying to install the firmware  ...

Cant believe people, they spend hard earned cash on something like the P3 and then do not read any instructions on how to operate it, no idea how to update the firmware,,, God help us all in this hobby before it gets banned everywhere

First lesson after receiving the drone read as much information as you can this is no toy
2015-5-7
Use props
mrphotomagic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 623 ft
Ireland

Are you serious!
You could find the time to send a "barrage of emails to DJI" and yet you couldn't find the time to read the owners manual properly. If you ever manage to figure out how to get your Phantom to fly, please leave it in beginners mode until you are competent enough to fly in regular mode. For the sake of the safety of others.
2015-5-9
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

This video may help you.

2015-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules