Questions on Brand new CS and Updated CS
846 8 2018-4-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

When you first got your CrystalSky did you notice it being slow or sluggish, then after several hours of using your CS that it got faster or more responsive?

After Updating your CrystalSky with new firmware have you noticed it initially being slow or sluggish, then after CS ran for sometime, your CS got faster or more responsive?

If yes, any ideas as to why?  Like say: CS is busy indexing files?  CS is busy optimizing system files?  CS is busy phoning home to Google all private data on your network?

What led to above questions.

My second CS-Ub from factory would not accept Touch Screen input at very top to get past the Agree, then issues with WiFi slider, then issues with Next.
After fighting through Touch Screen input at top of screen to get CS registerd / enabled, the CS appeared slow or sluggish.  Not impressed at all.

At some point CS got to updating firmware involing Android OS and something else.  Appeared to be two downloads?
CS rebooted itself at least once.  Afterwards, I powercycled (full power down and power back up) CS-Ub.

After powercycle, the problem with Touch-Screen not taking Touch input at very top appeared to have went away.   However, the CS still appeared to be slow or sluggish often taking several Touches to do something or flipping a setting from on to off to back on.  Ended up leaving CS-Ub running at Half-brightness till battery was nearly dead.  Then swapping batteries and leaving CS-Ub to run again.  Figured I would give CS-Ub some running time, or what we used to call Burn-in Time.  Especially knowing others have reported failures of screen within a few hours of use.

Nextday, when I connected to Mavic Pro P, via remote control, there were update alerts for GO Pilot and GO4.  Along with updates to No Fly database.  Finally an update to Mavic Pro P.
It took three attempts to get No Fly database to download.  No idea why.  Had tried switching to different WiFi connection and Powercycling CS-Ub.  No Joy.  Anyway, according to GO4 menu, everything was finally up to date.  Afterwards the CS-Ub appeared somewhat slow or sluggish.

There was some warning about GO Pilot running at same time as GO4.  Leading me to enter CS-Ub system menu, and stop several Apps that were running, and cleared their associated memory and cache usage.  Then do another powecycle.

Next I re-connected CS-Ub to Mavic Pro P via remote control.  Leading to yet another update of Mavic Pro P.  Despite GO4 menu having previously reported everything was up to date.
Got that update installed, powered down everything, and gave up for night.

Today, powered up Mavic Pro P, CS-Ub, and finally Remote Control.  Went in to GO4 Menus and made a few changes.  Which is when I noticed the CS-Ub appeared to be running faster and was not sluggish.   At which point, I turned on several GO4 settings that I thought would put a real load on CS-Ub.  Even started video recording on Mavic Pro P, which would have CS-Ub storing video too, while changing settings and playing with GO4 to drone commands.  Despite extra load on CS-Ub, the CS-Ub was running faster and not sluggish like before.

Whether the slowness or sluggish will return is uknown.  I plan to do some more Mavic pads on ground testing later.  I would like to get to point where I can try flying Mavic Pro P with CS-Ub.  To windy to even think about trying today.  

If CS-Ub does continue to work; no more issues with Touch-Screen, no more issues with slow response, and no new problems - I will have to reconsider my Refund request.

Which leads to above questions.  Is it normal for CS-Ub from factory or after every firmware update to run slowly or be sluggish.

2018-4-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

The following may answer first question.

Well this is interesting: Crystal Sky touch screen problem

rfc: During setup, the "buttons" in the upper corners of the screen seemed very un-responsive. At one point, to move to the next screen (after "wi-fi" I think), I tapped multiple times and the screen went black.

Lhemmerich: I had the same problem with my new one  I came to the conclusion that the processor is just slow during this inital setup. After I got it setup and flying it seemed to function ok..no other slow taps

Cyberpower678: Same. Definitely not a touch screen issue. The setup process is a bit unresponsive. Nothing a FW update can’t fix.

superdave5050: think that was my post and yes the initial setup top corner areas were not working like you’ve experienced. Fear not though after a few try’s and creative ways of trying to touch the corners I somehow made it through the first setup. Do the firmware update once setup is done I I haven’t had any trouble since.

Leading to: Screen sensitivity settings, are there any ?

superdave5050: Just got the ultra set up tonight but had a terrible time getting the  screen to pick up my finger touches. Just barely got the agree button to  work on all the legal stuff page.  Almost like the top areas of the  screen aren’t working correctly.

Ping^Spike: had the EXACT same problem on my Ultra a couple of months ago too.  But, once setup was completed, its performed flawlessly ever since.
struijs:Me to, all fine now.

Problem has been around since December 2017, and DJI does not know about it?  
DJI sure did not act like they knew anything when I put my refund request in.
2018-4-6
Use props
Rickyber
lvl.4
Flight distance : 403488 ft

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-6 17:51

Thanks for posting all of this information.
Wow!, this is starting to give me a semi - optimistic feeling about my purchase also.
I actually opened it up tonight and currently have both batteries charging. As per your suggestion, when the batteries are done, I'll turn the unit on.

Then, I will be off to bed and leave it on all night.
Then, start the registration and updates in the morning. If that goes well, I'll couple it with my Mavic Pro and check out how it performs with the camera and such in the house.
So, if all of this goes well, I'll try it flying but keep the bird close at all times for these initial flights.....lol

Will keep you posted as to what happens
2018-4-7
Use props
Rickyber
lvl.4

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-6 17:51

So far, so good.
Left it on all night at the first screen that came up.
This morning, I did all of the registration stuff and downloaded the latest firmware upgrade via wifi.

Going to try and fly with it later and see what happens. Still cold here as last night it went down to 27 degrees Fahrenheit and not expected to go above about 47 degrees Fahrenheit.
2018-4-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Rickyber Posted at 2018-4-8 07:10
So far, so good.
Left it on all night at the first screen that came up.
This morning, I did all of the registration stuff and downloaded the latest firmware upgrade via wifi.

Indoors:

Get everything ready like you are going to Fly.
Power up Drone, Remote Control, and CrystalSky.

Go through all settings to make sure they are what you want for flying.

Don't launch, but Spin Up Props.

Try recording video, take a few snap shots.
Move Camera Gimbal Up & Down.
Focus camera on distant and close objects.

Switch between Camera view and Map view and back.

Everything should be reasonably responsive.
If it is, then that is best you can do to be ready to fly outside when you get a chance.

Outside, I would suggest first hovering, low-level close flights - before trying any serious flying.

I have not been able to test my replacment CrystalSky Ub outside due to high winds.
If and when I can, I will post back with outcome.
2018-4-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-8 09:16
Indoors:

Get everything ready like you are going to Fly.

Manged to get in a short hop.  
No problems with replacement CrystalSky Ultra-bright.

Wind finally went down to 4-mph.
Got in another short hop using replacement CrystalSky Ultra-bright.
Had to cut flight short, wind started picking up speed again.
Sure made coming back as quick as a breeze.
No problems with replacement.
2018-4-8
Use props
Rickyber
lvl.4

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-8 13:51
Manged to get in a short hop.  
No problems with replacement CrystalSky Ultra-bright.

Very nice !!!!

So far, so good with mine also.
Flew for about thirty minutes yesterday and everything went well with my Phantom 3 Advanced.
Granted, temperature was only 47 degrees Fahrenheit. So, I imagine when late Spring and Summer set in, the real test will come.

Will also keep you posted.
2018-4-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Rickyber Posted at 2018-4-10 11:19
Very nice !!!!

So far, so good with mine also.

I imagine when late Spring and Summer set in, the real test will come.  

Ditto.  Summer here will likley see days with temps of 100 F.
I can see me dragging a 10KW generator behind me, with a 20,000 BTU Window AC unit to keep CS-Ub cool.  

2018-4-10
Use props
Rickyber
lvl.4

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-10 16:00
I imagine when late Spring and Summer set in, the real test will come.  

Ditto.  Summer here will likley see days with temps of 100 F.

How about dry ice.....lol
2018-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules