1860 20 2018-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GECHO
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18504 ft
Philippines

Hi,
Has anyone encountered a problem with controling the Mavic due to strong horizontal drift with a great gps signal. Did not have any problems previously.  I tried to fly the drone earlier it flew great. Suddenly, when I tried to land, it went crazy and It was uncontrollable and caused a minor crash .Good thing it was just a few scratches on the props and the body. Tested it again after the crash, but I am really worried that it could have done damage to the inside and it could happen again. I have been flying a 2nd hand P3S on the same place for a year never had this problem and I never crashed.

Flight time: 14:27 minutes
00:03 Onset of the flight I get a strong wireless interference warning
02:12 Strong interference to remote controller
09:25 High wind velocity warning
10:48 High wind velocity warning
After that no warnings

And at about 14 minutes with 30% battery(connected to 19 satellites) when I was trying to land it was uncontrollable even 1 meter from the ground.

2018-4-7
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

hi gecko - its not possible to say without records or video to get some clues about what happened or what went wrong.. However i will say that it is probably unlikely that you hurt something inside, so i would not worry about that too much.
For the next flights keep it close to you to be able to safely monitor its performance.
it is recommended that you always fly with a full battery - if your battery was full at start of flight and then came to 30% after 14 min then there is either an issue with your battery or maybe you were pushing it too hard (means sport forward and extreme vertical climbs at the same time - not good for the battery and will cause unsafe discharge rate)
keep an eye on your batteries. Mark them with pen to identify them.
check their condition and temperature and cell variance and error messages in the app after each flight before turning off the drone and rc power.
Also you can check your battery for indications of swelling - even the smallest bump is a bad sign and you should not use that battery again.
batteries have 6 months warentee - if you notice any errors send it back - they will repace for free.
best wishes, good luck
2018-4-7
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Sorry that your drone crashed hope it flies fine. With all those warnings i would have landed immediately, you should not fly with warnings like those popping up. .
2018-4-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read of your crash. Wind warnings just require adjustment in flight to compensate (lower altitude) but yes, if those initial warnings popped up regarding interference I would have landed immediately and changed my flight location.
2018-4-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry for the crash, GECHO. Have you tried calibrating the compass before the flight or changing another place? For your case, I suggest sending the drone in for an overall check. We will help to make data analysis for this accident to find out the cause of the crash if the drone is under warranty. Contact our support on the following page to start a case: http://www.dji.com/support
2018-4-7
Use props
GECHO
lvl.2
Philippines

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-4-7 20:11
Sorry for the crash, GECHO. Have you tried calibrating the compass before the flight or changing another place? For your case, I suggest sending the drone in for an overall check. We will help to make data analysis for this accident to find out the cause of the crash if the drone is under warranty. Contact our support on the following page to start a case: http://www.dji.com/support

Hi Thor,

Yes, drone is less than a month old, at the time when it was uncontrollable there was no warnings, compass was just calibrated a few days ago. I tried to fly the drone again an there seems to be no problem as of now. I also calibrated both the IMU and the Compass earlier. I checked the flight records and no warning messages beyond the 11 minute mark.

I am really worried that this might happen again on a beach or somewhere with people or cars and this would be very dangerous.

Gino
2018-4-9
Use props
GECHO
lvl.2
Philippines

Here is a link to the flight log video.

2018-4-9
Use props
GECHO
lvl.2
Philippines

GECHO Posted at 2018-4-9 03:59
Hi Thor,

Yes, drone is less than a month old, at the time when it was uncontrollable there was no warnings, compass was just calibrated a few days ago. I tried to fly the drone again an there seems to be no problem as of now. I also calibrated both the IMU and the Compass earlier. I checked the flight records and no warning messages beyond the 11 minute mark.

Here is a link to the flight log video:
2018-4-9
Use props
GECHO
lvl.2
Philippines

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-7 10:18
hi gecko - its not possible to say without records or video to get some clues about what happened or what went wrong.. However i will say that it is probably unlikely that you hurt something inside, so i would not worry about that too much.
For the next flights keep it close to you to be able to safely monitor its performance.
it is recommended that you always fly with a full battery - if your battery was full at start of flight and then came to 30% after 14 min then there is either an issue with your battery or maybe you were pushing it too hard (means sport forward and extreme vertical climbs at the same time - not good for the battery and will cause unsafe discharge rate)

2018-4-9
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

GECHO Posted at 2018-4-9 04:18

hi - i have two questions.
1. can you post a picture of your exact launch location
2. what device are you using to fly your drone

your flight log shows strong interference around 1 min into the YT clip. for this reason i am interested in your launch location.
your flight log shows that after 1 min in the YT clip your distance from home is wrong (afetr cpu overload) and continues to calculate distance incorrectly for the rest of the flight.
You flight log shows that you device CPU is overloaded - therefore i am interested to know what device you are using
2018-4-9
Use props
tomkrist
lvl.3
Flight distance : 276473 ft
Norway

but there is also a error on 33 seconds in the you tube clip. With the rc? that was strange.
2018-4-9
Use props
GECHO
lvl.2
Philippines

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-9 06:37
hi - i have two questions.
1. can you post a picture of your exact launch location
2. what device are you using to fly your drone

I am using an Iphone6 with nothing installed just use it for flying. Will try to upload a picture of where I launched the Mavic.
2018-4-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

GECHO Posted at 2018-4-10 05:56
I am using an Iphone6 with nothing installed just use it for flying. Will try to upload a picture of where I launched the Mavic.

Right at the end of that flight log you had as little as 9 satellites .

That is not a flight log you can upload log to link below.

Just click on link and follow instructions come back here and post link.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-4-10
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

I have a iphone 6 as well that I use for my MP.  I have noticed that if the sun is shining down on the iphone that it will cause a cpu overload error and the screen gets choppy.  This is due to it getting warm.  I have also noticed this to happen if I am recording my iphone screen the same time I am flying.  So I recommend keeping the iphone shaded, I ended up getting a nice sun shade that fits over it perfect while flying and also making sure other apps are closed while flying.  when doing this I have not ran into any issue with getting the cpu overload message.
2018-4-10
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

GECHO Posted at 2018-4-10 05:56

ok - should be no problem with iphone 6 so maybe it is something to do with as sparksbird says.
I also noticed on my new device that i am having serious issues with image - right at the end of my flight it seemed to me that the autobrightness function on my device screen was causing some issues.

Not sure if iphone has autobrightness function but if it does then perhaps switch that off and see if that helps.
2018-4-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

GECHO Posted at 2018-4-9 03:59
Hi Thor,

Gino, regarding your situation, to ensure the flight performance, I suggest sending the drone in for an overall check if it is convenient. You can contact our support for further help.
2018-4-11
Use props
GECHO
lvl.2
Philippines

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-4-11 00:04
Gino, regarding your situation, to ensure the flight performance, I suggest sending the drone in for an overall check if it is convenient. You can contact our support for further help.

Yes, I am currently in contact with support. And sent them the flight records and the DAT file.
2018-4-11
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

I had thought the small cable was bad on my MP and RC. I used the 6' USB to USBC cable from my phone. It worked a while but depending on the day or where I stood, I started getting RC interference warnings. I tried the same spot with the short cable from the MP kit and used the side controller output. No errors. Grabbed the phone's USB to USBC again, disconnected the side cable. A few minutes in interference warnings. I found a short USB to USBC cable only a foot long and never got an error no matter where I stood. OK, grabbed the phone cable again. Got in the air and seconds later RC warnings.

SInce that test I only use a short 1' cable from my bottom usb port to my phone which is not in the normal controller arms. I have one of those clips that holds the phone higher than the controller. This way I don't have to remove the case from my phone.

Could have been a fluke that day or whatever.. maybe high Kp interference.  Talked to guys in my local drone club that said the 6' cable was like another antenna. Even a 3' cable is not good. Told me get a good data type cable no more than a foot long. I did, and I have not had that issue.

Most time's if I get warning prompts I land, check the area out, move if need be, and then try again. If it still prompts warnings like that, well there must be localized interference. So I either just practice some in the yard, or just shut it down soon after.

People say other brands don't do that stuff. No, but when the same problem occurs and you have no warnings, only telemetry or FPV, once that data is lost, so is the craft most of the time.
2018-4-11
Use props
GECHO
lvl.2
Philippines

miketmtpro Posted at 2018-4-11 06:00
I had thought the small cable was bad on my MP and RC. I used the 6' USB to USBC cable from my phone. It worked a while but depending on the day or where I stood, I started getting RC interference warnings. I tried the same spot with the short cable from the MP kit and used the side controller output. No errors. Grabbed the phone's USB to USBC again, disconnected the side cable. A few minutes in interference warnings. I found a short USB to USBC cable only a foot long and never got an error no matter where I stood. OK, grabbed the phone cable again. Got in the air and seconds later RC warnings.

SInce that test I only use a short 1' cable from my bottom usb port to my phone which is not in the normal controller arms. I have one of those clips that holds the phone higher than the controller. This way I don't have to remove the case from my phone.

I use the OEM cable included in the MP package. Never tried with a usb cable. Anyways will update everyone once I have the analysis from the DJI tech team.
2018-4-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

GECHO Posted at 2018-4-11 05:35
Yes, I am currently in contact with support. And sent them the flight records and the DAT file.

Hope you can have an update soon. You can also provide me with your case or ticket number, I will help to keep an eye on it.
2018-4-12
Use props
Dorset_Horn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft

@GECHO, is this your take-off location? I was looking for power-lines that might have caused interference.
2018-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules